It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Installed Stant 195 thermostat today
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Bump back to top. Can anybody answer my questions?

Thanks,

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:17 am 
LOST Junkie

SBrooks wrote:
Thinking about disabling my viscous heater along with installing the in-line thermostat. Is it best to just disconnect the plug at the viscous heater or pull its relay? Is the relay located in the relay center under the hood by the battery? If so, which # is it?

Thanks,

Steve

Most folks pull the relay in the box in front of the battery. I don't remember which one it is, but I know there is a label in the box which identifies it. Doing so will set a soft code (no check engine light).

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Installed the Stant 195 a few weekends ago. Temp is right back up to normal. OBDII bluetooth reader says engine temp is holding steady at 185F. Last weekend was in the 70's, this week has been in the single digits, temp doesn't budge and warms up nicely. Didn't drill a hole and it's been really steady so far.

Great, simple, cheap fix.

2" OME lift; Surco Safari Rack
Cooper Discoverer AT3 245/70R16

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flman wrote:
brando26 wrote:
thanks kjjet. Your response didnt really address the question though. I installed a stant thermostat in that pretty aluminum housing thingy that twists together. I need to know which side of the thermostat points into the oem thermostat housing. The flat spring side, or the pointed side.

If any one wants a Meziere tstat housing complete with the hose, so you do not have to cut your radiator hose? I also have a OE core if any one wants to make an offer on that as well? Shoot me an offer on either or both and I will ship it to you. I am going to stick with the OE stats. I recently replaced both of mine, Crown in the Sport and OE in the LTD. I will see which one lasts longer and let you all know.

SOLD! :BINGO:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:58 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey I know this thread is old but I have a couple questions about it because my CRD runs at about a quarter on the temp gauge even in the summer in south Texas. 1. Should I remove the old thermostat or just leave it? I'm assuming to remove it but can't find anything saying to do so. 2. Should I see a MPG increase running at more appropriate temps? Right now I'm about mid 20s mixed driving with the green diesel Eco tune. Thanks.

Post subject: Installed Stant 195 thermostat today
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Packyoc wrote:
Hey I know this thread is old but I have a couple questions about it because my CRD runs at about a quarter on the temp gauge even in the summer in south Texas. 1. Should I remove the old thermostat or just leave it? I'm assuming to remove it but can't find anything saying to do so. 2. Should I see a MPG increase running at more appropriate temps? Right now I'm about mid 20s mixed driving with the green diesel Eco tune. Thanks.

You can't remove just the thermostat from the jeep, Crd has a unit which includes the thermostat in it, you normally replace the whole unit to replace the thermostat as the thermostat is within the unit and not accessible. So you need to leave the stock thermostat as it is and install the stant. You should see an increase in mpg by around 2-4 mpg (wild guess) in Texas weather.

Now, I have always been against an inline thermostat because it may address the running cold temperature but won't fix the whole issue. Why? You do not know exactly how the existing stock thermostat works. Is it fully opened? Is it partially opened? If last, then you'll run into a big risk of overheating, and that will happen when you'll have some more load (than you normally have with your driving habits) on the engine. If you drive regularly strait roads, with no steep incline hills, you may be fine as you would have noticed overheating right now or summer time. But in case of a partially opened thermostat, you have a reduced flow of coolant to the radiator and when you would need more (when more load on the engine) you'll overheat. In my opinion the inline thermostat is a band aid that may or may not work, but there is no certainty you'll be worry free all the time as you don't know how the existing thermostat is working or how is the position it is stuck (fully open is very unlikely, so would be more or less a partially opened stage)

I'd recommend to either buy a new oem thermostat from idparts.com or get the more expensive version from turbo diesel freak for 450+shipping. This one is a very nice unit that was built from scratch to replicate oem functionality but has a serviceable dodge hemi thermostat that costs about 10-12 bucks.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:44 pm 
LOST Addict

I am bumping this thread for reference purposes.

I am very curious as to how many people who did this highly questionable modification eventually had cylinder head gasket issues, or no longer have their CRD at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:56 pm 

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
I am bumping this thread for reference purposes.

I am very curious as to how many people who did this highly questionable modification eventually had cylinder head gasket issues, or no longer have their CRD at all.

Or a cracked head!!! :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did mine in 2014 have put 90,000 miles on since without any issues. I did not use the twist housing, rather just clamped it inline. I did drill the small hole. Works just like everyone states. Next up I have the cold weather kit from sasquatch just waiting for a warm enough day to install.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 am 
LOST Addict

I have two CRDs with stant with no problems after about 80,000 miles in place each. I have one with factory thermostat functional that had head gasket leak and one with stant for about 90,000 that developed head gasket leak at about 180,000 total miles and was fixed with replacing head bolts with ARP one at a time. Another, I bought used already with major head gasket leak and factory thermostat leak overheated previously and i replaced head gasket rocker arms and along with timing belt water pump etc and it has done well for about 10,000 miles now except that it burns more oil than my others. So I am still considering the Hot Diesel solution thermostat for at least one CRD but what I would like to know is if anyone has had a leaky head gasket without overheating the engine after replacing with ARP studs besides racetracers Fiasco with any type thermostat especially the stant.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Curious for those who have done this have ever seen their engine heat guage above half? Mine comes up to temp, thermo opens and stays at half. In winter with no winter front it may not come up to half. Is there any way you think damage could occur without overheat?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:38 am 
LOST Addict

nealio wrote:
Curious for those who have done this have ever seen their engine heat guage above half? Mine comes up to temp, thermo opens and stays at half. In winter with no winter front it may not come up to half. Is there any way you think damage could occur without overheat?

Yes.
Lack of coolant flow through the head can create hot spots in the head that won’t register as overheating at the coolant temp sensor.

Using a failed factory thermostat along with a inline thermostat can create a flow problem where the bypass port and and main outlet port are both closed. Resulting in inadequate coolant flow through the head.
This condition may only be temporary, up until the point where the main outlet inline thermostat opens at 195F. But long term repeated use and poor coolant flow will result in thermal stresses inside the head that cannot be detected.
Result: a warped or cracked cylinder head and mysterious loss of coolant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:48 am 

flash7210 wrote:
nealio wrote:

Yes.
Lack of coolant flow through the head can create hot spots in the head that won’t register as overheating at the coolant temp sensor.

Using a failed factory thermostat along with a inline thermostat can create a flow problem where the bypass port and and main outlet port are both closed. Resulting in inadequate coolant flow through the head.
This condition may only be temporary, up until the point where the main outlet inline thermostat opens at 195F. But long term repeated use and poor coolant flow will result in thermal stresses inside the head that cannot be detected.

X2, good answer!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:14 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
nealio wrote:

Yes.

X2, good answer!

X1000; I have been trying to get this message out for over 3 years now. You do not mess with an engine's cooling system without doing a lot of homework. NEVER use a thermostat valve specified for a smaller engine or one that makes less power than the engine you are trying to adapt it to; it likely will not flow enough coolant in high demand situations. Be ESPECIALLY careful with engines that have differing metals in the cylinder head verses the block, due to the fact that differing metals have differing thermal expansion factors.

flash7210: You are indeed correct that damage to the cylinder head caused by both the bypass circuit and the main circuit being blocked will occur over an extended period of time; the damage does not occur immediately or over a short period of time unless the engine is subjected to very heavy use and/or is used in extremely cold climates, which would greatly extend the period of time that both circuits are shut off.

I have found that most of the CRD owners who use the inline, (in-hose), thermostat valve fix for the cold running CRD engine live in warmer climates, and therefore may not see any apparent damage to their engines due to the fact that engine warm-up times are shorter than in colder climates, as are the times during driving when the inline thermostat valve is closed. In other circumstances, they may simply not recognize that damage has occurred or make a connection to the inline thermostat causing the cylinder head damage.

There is a valid reason why coolant bypass circuits exist... ignore them at your peril.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I talked to Jeff for far longer than either of could afford. Great conversation. I am planning to install his thermostat housing with a real temperature sending unit to a pod in the cab.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:47 pm 

nealio wrote:
I talked to Jeff for far longer than either of could afford. Great conversation. I am planning to install his thermostat housing with a real temperature sending unit to a pod in the cab.

Good for you; very smart move! :wink:
Jeff is a good guy!
There are some who may try and tell you otherwise, but they want to make money off heat related failures... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch