It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powder coaters
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:10 am 
LOST Addict

Does anyone know any good powder coaters on the island? Looking to get my springs powder coated.

Post subject: Re: Powder coaters
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've used Ultimate Powder Coaters out in Shirley many years ago to restore a mountain bike I had. I got a great deal though because I knew the owners daughter, and she lived right down the block. $60 for the bike after I had it prepped. But I can't see powdercoating a set of springs being terribly expensive anywhere, small part really. Good luck and shine those muthas up! I just hit mine with the rattle can every spring.
-jeff :2cents:

Full Mopar Skids
Yakima roof rack system
ARB bumper
Hella 500's
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Frankenlift Premium II
GY Duratracs 245/70/16 AT's on Cragar Soft 8s
JBA 4.5 A-arms
Cobra Classic CB

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:29 am 
LOST Addict

LI_KJ wrote:
I've used Ultimate Powder Coaters out in Shirley many years ago to restore a mountain bike I had. I got a great deal though because I knew the owners daughter, and she lived right down the block. $60 for the bike after I had it prepped. But I can't see powdercoating a set of springs being terribly expensive anywhere, small part really. Good luck and shine those muthas up! I just hit mine with the rattle can every spring.
-jeff :2cents:

Good to know. Honestly I'm a little too lazy to sand the springs myself, hence the powdercoating. I know it'll stand up too. Idk how much I can do for the shocks(Bilstein has a weird metal for their shock bodies...), but I do want the springs cleaned up a bit. Thanks! Hoping to see you on the beach this summer!! :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

But you are going to have to disassemble the strut from the spring in the front, or have a shop do it. The rears are easy. Could always have them sand or media blasted and then powder coated. As for the Bilsteins just lightly sand and primer them up, and have them powder coated. Let us know how it works out.

Full Mopar Skids
Yakima roof rack system
ARB bumper
Hella 500's
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Frankenlift Premium II
GY Duratracs 245/70/16 AT's on Cragar Soft 8s
JBA 4.5 A-arms
Cobra Classic CB

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:53 pm 
LOST Addict

LI_KJ wrote:
But you are going to have to disassemble the strut from the spring in the front, or have a shop do it. The rears are easy. Could always have them sand or media blasted and then powder coated. As for the Bilsteins just lightly sand and primer them up, and have them powder coated. Let us know how it works out.

The adjust-a-struts are pretty easy believe it or not. Take the top plate off, then back off a bolt and unscrew the adjusters. The springs should come right off after that. I can't wait to get everything done, and then maybe stop spending money :jester: