It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tool Trailer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:35 pm 
LOST Member

Well, it seems once again I have had the need to scratch the creative itch and build something to make my life easier. I am a carpenter for the last 25+ years. I have changed employers about 9 months ago. With this outfit, I many times do not know where I am going or what I will be working on from day to day. So, I have been struggling with what to bring for tools, so I wind up bringing alot of personal tools and company issued tools too (400+ LBS), so I can be prepared. This was effectively overloading the CRD and making it into a one seater. Also making my vehicle inconvenient to use for anything else.

So, I came up with a solution...

Left side

Rear. Note the tail/brake lights.

Right side.

Now I have the interior of my Jeep back!
Thoughts or questions?

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

Post subject: Re: Tool Trailer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Are you worried about it tipping over? It looks a little too narrow.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:51 am 
LOST Member

Megalos wrote:
Are you worried about it tipping over? It looks a little too narrow.

Good question.

The short answer is yes it is a concern. :shock: I looked at that during design. I did some proportion calcs to see. :juggle: The only thing close in shape is the profile of a semi trailer, and the math says this is more stable, albeit only a little, based on profile only. So, driving appropriately is a must.

The reason I made the track width so narrow (32" sidewall to sidewall) is it will roll thru any commercial door opening with a 36" door, opened 90 degrees without removing the door. Important as this is a common situation for me. This leaves about 1" fudge factor. I did not try to come up wit an adjustable track width axle.... yet. If side-roll stability becomes an issue, I will look into just that.

Well, one of the other unique features is the tongue is removable. Jack the tongue jack all the way up and the original swivel casters (mounted on pedestals) slip into fixtures welded to the front of the frame rails, secured with 1/2" T-handle bolts. Lower, remove the tongue, and away you go! :pepper:

Another is the taillight assembly is flush to the back of the box. I removed the handle on that end and it fits in that recess! :BANANA: So hopefully that will help protect it.

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Keep the heavy stuff in the bottom. No jerky moves, fast turns. My friend has a narrow kayak trailer- kayaks are high mounted. Not a lot of weight. Each kayak about 40 lbs. He gets it in one wheel often, but never flipped it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:29 am 
LOST Member

Cherrie 274 wrote:
Keep the heavy stuff in the bottom. No jerky moves, fast turns.

Agreed. That is the plan. Experimenting so far to see the conditions to watch out for I think the highest likelihood of tipping (outside of an accident) is tight turns in & out of approaches to alleys and parking lots where there is significant grade changes or heaving at joints in the pavement. Slower speeds seem to eliminate this as a concern.

Adjustments to loading will definitely make a difference.

Like with anything, a little common sense and patience goes a long way.

Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:03 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Its a great idea for what it'll be used for, plus it doesn't take up mich space in the driveway.
Being able to wheel it inside the jobsite building will be nice and really convenient. Have you thout about adding some 'arms' that telescope out for a table/miter saw stand/table saw stand?

I think I'd be pretty nervous pulling it though. The problem I see is going around a turn and hitting a bump causing it to bounce and possibly flop on you.

Do you need to get it inspected for licensing? I've always been curious how that works with homemade trailers. I'm sure it caries state to state though.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:39 am 
LOST Member

Atthehelm wrote:
Its a great idea for what it'll be used for, plus it doesn't take up mich space in the driveway. Being able to wheel it inside the jobsite building will be nice and really convenient. Have you thout about adding some 'arms' that telescope out for a table/miter saw stand/table saw stand?

I think I'd be pretty nervous pulling it though. The problem I see is going around a turn and hitting a bump causing it to bounce and possibly flop on you.

Do you need to get it inspected for licensing? I've always been curious how that works with homemade trailers. I'm sure it caries state to state though.

I havent really considered the arms.... yet.

You are right about going around a turn and hitting a bump. During experimentation, the only time it has
seemed like it could flop over was during very tight (almost full lock) sorta quick turn with a bump or change in elevation such as going into an alley.

No in Wisconsin I don't believe I need inspection, although I do meet all the requirements for lights, etc.

Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

woodtick wrote:
Atthehelm wrote:
Its a great idea for what it'll be used for, plus it doesn't take up mich space in the driveway. Being able to wheel it inside the jobsite building will be nice and really convenient. Have you thout about adding some 'arms' that telescope out for a table/miter saw stand/table saw stand?

I havent really considered the arms.... yet.

You are right about going around a turn and hitting a bump. During experimentation, the only time it has
seemed like it could flop over was during very tight (almost full lock) sorta quick turn with a bump or change in elevation such as going into an alley.

No in Wisconsin I don't believe I need inspection, although I do meet all the requirements for lights, etc.

Not in Michigan. It's not a trailer! It's equipment.
Even a huge well drilling machine mounted on a truck can be without a plate. Just as long as it's only the machine and driver. No well parts or co pilots.
I sold a travel trailer frame to a guy. He wanted to make a trailer for his huge welder. I explained it to him, but he insisted on a sales slip, the old travel trailer title. He stopped back after going to the SOS and said "I thought you lying, but SOS said they'd take my Taxes, registration, and plate fees, if I wanted to give it to them, but I didn't need register it".
Not sure if he had to pay sales tax:).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:55 am 
LOST Member

Proper lighting is required though, and there I'm covered.

Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

woodtick wrote:

Not here in Daylight if tow vehicles lights can be seen! Safer yes!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 am 
LOST Member

Cherrie 274 wrote:
woodtick wrote:

Not here in Daylight if tow vehicles lights can be seen! Safer yes!

Same here, but I will have this on the road during dark hours too. Plus it's probably considered a contributing factor/ liability in the event of an accident, even during daylight hours. Ambulance chasing lawyers and other parasites could/ would try to make something out of it. So why risk it?

Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just my wood splitter is without lights. The length is about 6 feet. You'd need so much protection around lights, you'd not see them! Plus it only gets hauled 1-/ 2 times to church wood splitting bees.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just throwing something out there. How about a transversely mounted "wheely bar" with casters on the ends that is either removable or pivot-able to accomadate going through a door?

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:58 pm 
LOST Member

I thought thru a number of different ideas. Removable axle was one and I also considered trying to fabricate a telescoping axle. Ultimately, I went with the simplist approach. And to be honest, to date it has worked perfectly. :pepper: I am open to improvements tho.

Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A long time ago I built a trailer to tow with my motorcycle. It was narrow and very bouncy. After I tested it, It scared me so much I abandoned the idea. I'd be worried about the trailer tipping over going around a corner or hitting a big bump or depression! Yours is a great idea that you can take the whole thing inside, safe and secure!

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

Couldn't you put a wider axle under the trailer?
I'd be worried about fish tailing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LibertyFever wrote:
Couldn't you put a wider axle under the trailer?
I'd be worried about fish tailing.

The trailer needs to go through a standard doorway at the job site.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

candpliberty wrote:

The trailer needs to go through a standard doorway at the job site.

How do you get the KJ through the door?
LOL

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:13 am 
LOST Junkie

LibertyFever wrote:
How do you get the KJ through the door?

4WD, of course! :ROTFL:

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LMAO! Vewy.vewy, cafuwy. :ROTFL: