It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1857 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY ECU Flash
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:21 pm 
LOST Member

I started over completely, with a newer and smaller "mod" than my others. It was more comprehensive, but smaller changes, except for upping the fuel a little and upping the rail pressure a little in low and mid-range. I drive a 45 mph road 9 miles + 2 miles of stop and go each way to work, and even if I drive with a lead foot I still get between 24 and 25. My last tank included a 90 mile trip on the interstate. I drove a total of 452 miles until the light came on, filled at 470, and it took 18.95 gallons. I can't upload the tune, however, because my laptop has 3 drives, and currently, the non-windows one is installed...

That's 24.7 mpg. This is without the A/C. Now I'm running with the A/C on, and I don't think I"m going to do nearly as well. I have a little under 200 miles on the tank, it'll take me another week or two to finish.

I have the Sealey timing kit I'll loan out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

pwrwagn wrote:
I started over completely, with a newer and smaller "mod" than my others. It was more comprehensive, but smaller changes, except for upping the fuel a little and upping the rail pressure a little in low and mid-range. I drive a 45 mph road 9 miles + 2 miles of stop and go each way to work, and even if I drive with a lead foot I still get between 24 and 25. My last tank included a 90 mile trip on the interstate. I drove a total of 452 miles until the light came on, filled at 470, and it took 18.95 gallons. I can't upload the tune, however, because my laptop has 3 drives, and currently, the non-windows one is installed...

That's 24.7 mpg. This is without the A/C. Now I'm running with the A/C on, and I don't think I"m going to do nearly as well. I have a little under 200 miles on the tank, it'll take me another week or two to finish.

Not bad, what version is this for? The 808 or the 811?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:07 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all, just an update on my tuning issues... I was going great, swapping tunes in and out like a pro 8). Then as I've detailed in an earlier post, it all fell apart when i tried Yeti's tune for my 809.
As you know, it wiped my file, then spat the dummy and corrupted the ecu. The end result: A 2nd-hand ecu (au$800), then another au$560 to have it re-programmed. Then, another visit to the dealership to have some bugs ironed out... altogether $1500 outlaid. Soooo, I'm back to using my GDE eco tune until I pluck up enough courage to experiment again :cry:
Now, to make it clear, it was NOT yeti's tune that tripped things up! It was the way I swapped the tunes. Instead of changing back to my original UNENCRYPTED file, then installing Yeti's tune, I tried to swap directly from the ENCRYPTED GDE file to the new tune. From what I gather, there was some unknown/unrecognized file structure left on the ecu, which stopped the new file from writing. Like having the MBR on your computer harddrive corrupted, sometimes, it's non-recoverable. Hence the need for another ecu...
Yeti has indicated to me that the GDE tune may be as good as it gets, but I'd still l like to do it myself :BANANA: Yep! maybe totally bananas!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hola fellow jeep lovers,

First time poster here :D My current ride is a 2003 Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD and I am looking at getting it remapped. Well not exactly, I am looking at getting it remapped by a professional tuner, but because I live in a remote area, I am looking at tools that would allow me to read and extract the OEM map from my jeep's ECU and then upload a bespoke map to my ECU via the same tool.

I have looked around a lot and that's how I came across this thread. Now the thing is the 2.7 CRD is a little bit different from other Jeep models, in that the ECM is a Jeep + Mercedes combo unit and to this day and to my knowledge, only a Jeep dealership will be able to make a proper diagnosis. The Jeep doesn't have full OBDII compliance (that came later with the WH/WK powered by the 3.0 V6 CRD Merc engine) and the 2.7 CRD still relies heavily on the DRBIII protocol for diag purposes.

So even though it is listed as being compatible with the tool in the OP (and many other tools available on the internet for that matter), I am still trying to figure if they will indeed work on the 2.7 CRD.

What do you guys think? Could this work on my engine? Are there any 2.7 CRD owners out there that have tried it? Any input would be greatly appreciated ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

try to see , If the Powergate II can read and write your ECU , is an Alientech programmer

http://www.alientechuk.co.uk/

if this tool can flash your ECU , you can contact GDE , that use the same programmer in different version

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

Eskymo wrote:
Hi all, just an update on my tuning issues... I was going great, swapping tunes in and out like a pro 8). Then as I've detailed in an earlier post, it all fell apart when i tried Yeti's tune for my 809.
As you know, it wiped my file, then spat the dummy and corrupted the ecu. The end result: A 2nd-hand ecu (au$800), then another au$560 to have it re-programmed. Then, another visit to the dealership to have some bugs ironed out... altogether $1500 outlaid. Soooo, I'm back to using my GDE eco tune until I pluck up enough courage to experiment again :cry:
Now, to make it clear, it was NOT yeti's tune that tripped things up! It was the way I swapped the tunes. Instead of changing back to my original UNENCRYPTED file, then installing Yeti's tune, I tried to swap directly from the ENCRYPTED GDE file to the new tune. From what I gather, there was some unknown/unrecognized file structure left on the ecu, which stopped the new file from writing. Like having the MBR on your computer harddrive corrupted, sometimes, it's non-recoverable. Hence the need for another ecu...
Yeti has indicated to me that the GDE tune may be as good as it gets, but I'd still l like to do it myself :BANANA: Yep! maybe totally bananas!!! :lol:

Sucks.
Bottom line is if you have the GDE tune, convert it back to stock with the GDE tool before attempting any of this?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Yeti wrote:
try to see , If the Powergate II can read and write your ECU , is an Alientech programmer

http://www.alientechuk.co.uk/

if this tool can flash your ECU , you can contact GDE , that use the same programmer in different version

Hey thanks for chiming in mate. I've already got in touch with GDE and their flash/scan tool is indeed compatible with my engine.

I've looked at the Powergate II from that website you posted mate bloody hell they're flipping expensive. The GDE tool is more affordable (but still a bit at the high end of the spectrum as far as prices are concerned) and I've also found another couple of tuners in the UK that seem to offer the same tool (rebranded as their own).

Do you know if there's a more generic version of that tool, that could be had for cheaper? $$ is a bit of a concern for now and I would rather invest in a good tune than in an overpriced tool if I'm being honest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

works like this:
There are more versions of the Powergate, GDE uses what is more economical, but the mapping is encrypted and can only use them, the one I use costs more, but does not encrypt the files so I can modify the tune with my requires , or get me to to make online from who I want,

Powergate S, S = Slave encrypted .........
Powergate M, M = Master ........ not encrypted

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Alright, thanks mate. Didn't really think the encryption job through.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Has anyone looked into where the Glowplug Voltage setting might be within our tunes. It would be nice to be able to change that without a dealer reflash.

BallstriKer wrote:

Why dont you take a look and see if the ECU in your jeep is in fact a EDC15. If it is then MPPS should work as well as WinOLS or the other applications that are being used here. There are even some VW specific applications designed around the EDC15 that may find the maps for you.

If you can take a look at the ECU and confirm it is an EDC15 then you should be good to go with the MPPS. Even if you cannot confirm the MPPS units are only like 15USD. It may be worth a shot. Just return it when it does not work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole wrote:
Has anyone looked into where the Glowplug Voltage setting might be within our tunes. It would be nice to be able to change that without a dealer reflash.

BallstriKer wrote:

Why dont you take a look and see if the ECU in your jeep is in fact a EDC15. If it is then MPPS should work as well as WinOLS or the other applications that are being used here. There are even some VW specific applications designed around the EDC15 that may find the maps for you.

If you can take a look at the ECU and confirm it is an EDC15 then you should be good to go with the MPPS. Even if you cannot confirm the MPPS units are only like 15USD. It may be worth a shot. Just return it when it does not work.

Thanks mass-hole mate, will have a look later. My concern was mainly due to the Jeep not being full OBD2 compliant and still using the DRB-III protocol for most diag jobs...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:23 am 
LOST Addict

BallstriKer wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

BallstriKer wrote:

Thanks mass-hole mate, will have a look later. My concern was mainly due to the Jeep not being full OBD2 compliant and still using the DRB-III protocol for most diag jobs...

I believe that the ECUs rely on a different protocol to communicate at the higher level that we are concerned about. In the case of the Liberty CRD(Cherokee) it's ISO 9141-2 which is also used by VW, Mercedes, BMW etc. My guess is that as long as you have an OBDII port to plug into, chances are very high that the MPPS cable will work for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

i have a question about CEL 1140 - I installed the weeks elbow kit and tuned the ECM with one of Yeti's tunes (FCV &EGR + mild hp) but I'm still getting a P1140 CEL, is there a way to "tune" that code out?

I assumed that the tunes would prevent this code being thrown, but now I'm thinking that these manage the FCV and EGR to not open but don't remove the check engine lights. Not that I'm complaining - the performance this past week has been great.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:09 am 
LOST Junkie

You have an 808 or 811 ??

I have made the tune on the base of Nick tune that delete the cell , I have only disable the egr and fcv and add more HP , if you want can you send me your original and what tune you have load , and I'll take a look

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:35 am 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole wrote:
I believe that the ECUs rely on a different protocol to communicate at the higher level that we are concerned about. In the case of the Liberty CRD(Cherokee) it's ISO 9141-2 which is also used by VW, Mercedes, BMW etc. My guess is that as long as you have an OBDII port to plug into, chances are very high that the MPPS cable will work for you.

Ok thanks a ton mate, that was very informative. I'm still trying to decide whether to go the hassle-free route with GDE or invest in the MPPS which is much more affordable. Chances are I'll just go with the GDE as there's not much intel available for "self-tuning" the 2.7 CRD, as opposed to the 2.8 CRD.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Yeti, I have an 808 ECU and am using the 808 mild HP 1.02 (Yeti's 808 ECU/FCV delete + Mild tune (vers 1.02)
If you PM your email I'll send you the files.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

you have PM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:54 pm 
LOST Addict

BallstriKer wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

Ok thanks a ton mate, that was very informative. I'm still trying to decide whether to go the hassle-free route with GDE or invest in the MPPS which is much more affordable. Chances are I'll just go with the GDE as there's not much intel available for "self-tuning" the 2.7 CRD, as opposed to the 2.8 CRD.

I ultimately went GDE after spending quite a bit of time sorting through my Jeep's tune and identifying all of the maps. I had almost everything major located and identified but I ultimately did not know what to do with it. I mean yes, I could start changing fueling and boost and things like that, but I would have just been guessing. Forget start of injection, duration maps, or number of injections per stroke. That was well beyond what I was willing to screw with.

Now I am glad I spent the money on the MPPS because it did improve my understanding of the engine management and if I need to ever make adjustments I can certainly do that. I know where most of the maps are and how they function together.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:36 am 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole wrote:
I ultimately went GDE after spending quite a bit of time sorting through my Jeep's tune and identifying all of the maps. I had almost everything major located and identified but I ultimately did not know what to do with it. I mean yes, I could start changing fueling and boost and things like that, but I would have just been guessing. Forget start of injection, duration maps, or number of injections per stroke. That was well beyond what I was willing to screw with.

Now I am glad I spent the money on the MPPS because it did improve my understanding of the engine management and if I need to ever make adjustments I can certainly do that. I know where most of the maps are and how they function together.

I hear you mate, I like learning useful new stuff and even moreso when my Jeep is involved :) But at this point, I'd probably do more harm than good screwing with maps and whatnot. I've dropped Keith at GDE an email, let's see what he's got up his sleeve for my Jeepie ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:05 am 
LOST Junkie

mass-hole wrote:

Since you have both, if you have time to play, compare it to Yeti's power tunes.
Just make sure to flash in the stock tune first with the GDE tool if you have the GDE tune installed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1857 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 93  Next