It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Labor Day weekend and my Jeep LOST a lot of weight.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

A lot of sweat and bloody knuckles this past labor day weekend in my driveway in 100 deg weather in Florida. But it was worth it as my 05 KJ Limited 4X4 2.8L CRD LOST a lot of weight. Only problem was getting to the radiator drain plug during my coolant flush. So I made a handle to crank it open/closed using a 10mm allen wrench. Also installed a
Meziere WN0072 Inline Thermostat Housing with SuperStat 45359Thermostat - 195 Deg.
Runs better than it ever has in 76,000 original miles.
:pepper:

Timing Belt Change at 76,000 miles (10 years old)
GDE FT ECO tune
Samco's (Red)
FCV Elbow Kit
Removed FCV/EGR/Cooler and all coolant hoses on driver side
No Muffler, Cat only and 2 1/2" straight pipe
86k miles (Original Owner)
Build Date Apr/05

Last edited by Maver1ck on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Labor Day weekend and my Jeep L.O.S.T a lot of weight.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:27 pm 
LOST Addict

What did you do to close up the EGR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I hope you re-installed some AT filters... you might need those :wink:

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole wrote:
What did you do to close up the EGR

I removed the EGR completely. I made a cap from the old EGR pipe between the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve assembly and welded it shut at the manifold. In order to get to the EGR tube clamp off I had to remove the Coolant Expansion Tank, as well as the heat shield over the turbo. Then I just removed the pipe cut 2" off the end, made a plug from S/S and TIG welded it. I didn't want to just leave the old pipe in place like some others have done. To me having a long pipe just hanging there with all the vibrations from the engine seemed like a possible fix in the future once the pipe fatigued and cracked. Hot exhaust gasses in the engine compartment not good. Also if you do like I did you will have to purchase the required parts. I got mine from O'Reilly's. Install a 5/8" male to male heater hose coupling (item # 28604 or 47094) to replace the aluminum Y pipe for the EGR line by the thermostat, and get a M12-1.5 bolt (item # 65236) about 1/2" long w/ copper crush washer (item # 65281 or 65271) to replace the nipple in the head.

GDE FT ECO tune
Samco's (Red)
FCV Elbow Kit
Build Date Apr/05

Last edited by Maver1ck on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

dgeist wrote:
I hope you re-installed some AT filters... you might need those :wink:

Dan

Sure did, from Napa.

GDE FT ECO tune
Samco's (Red)
FCV Elbow Kit
Build Date Apr/05

Post subject: Re: Labor Day weekend and my Jeep LOST a lot of weight.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

It looks like u left the cat convertor, I was going to remove both the muffler and the cat.
Any thoughts to share.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Personally I would not remove the muffler and some who have report annoying noise on the other hand some like it removed. If you actually look at the exhaust system piping there are 3 "choke" points - 1) the smallest which cannot be removed is the turbo housing at the exhaust pipe connection which IIRC is maybe slightly over 2" in diameter; 2) the bend in the exhaust pipe just below the firewall which like varies in diameter from vehicle to vehicle; and 3) where the pipe IIRC necks down a bit just in front of the muffler. If you want to open things up get a 2.5" muffler like a Magnaflow Muffler #12226 and install it along with a bit of exhaust pipe to remove that constricted area right near the muffler.

You can "gut" the cat and leave it on or you can remove the cat. If you remove the cat put it on the shelf in case the vehicle ever winds up in an area where it won't pass inspection without at cat or at least a cat housing.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:59 am 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
Personally I would not remove the muffler and some who have report annoying noise on the other hand some like it removed. If you actually look at the exhaust system piping there are 3 "choke" points - 1) the smallest which cannot be removed is the turbo housing at the exhaust pipe connection which IIRC is maybe slightly over 2" in diameter; 2) the bend in the exhaust pipe just below the firewall which like varies in diameter from vehicle to vehicle; and 3) where the pipe IIRC necks down a bit just in front of the muffler. If you want to open things up get a 2.5" muffler like a Magnaflow Muffler #12226 and install it along with a bit of exhaust pipe to remove that constricted area right near the muffler.

You can "gut" the cat and leave it on or you can remove the cat. If you remove the cat put it on the shelf in case the vehicle ever winds up in an area where it won't pass inspection without at cat or at least a cat housing.

I removed my Muffler and it is louder. Its not terrible, but I noticed no improvement in anything so its not really worth it in my eyes. A magnaflow is probably the best idea.

Oh, the exhaust also necks down through the flange between the cat and muffler.