It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ArmyChief wrote:
Personally I'm not buying sensors. Some of the replacements are not as high a quality as original...plus, unless I can ascertain a failure is eminent, then I'll wait

When you pop open the aftermarket brand carton, you'll usually find the BOSCH component with their part # lazer-etched on the part - compare that with the etched-in number on the part being replaced - you'll find that it matches, unless there has been a DCJ production-line upgrade to improved or revised part

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:13 pm 
LOST Member

You MAY be right... You will need to look at the part to make sure

TB / WP / SAMCO Hoses - Dec '14 (93,000 miles)
Redline Synthetics (Frt/Rear Differentials) - Dec '14 (93,000 miles)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:52 pm 

gmctd wrote:
ArmyChief wrote:
Personally I'm not buying sensors. Some of the replacements are not as high a quality as original...plus, unless I can ascertain a failure is eminent, then I'll wait

When you pop open the aftermarket brand carton, you'll usually find the BOSCH component with their part # lazer-etched on the part - compare that with the etched-in number on the part being replaced - you'll find that it matches, unless there has been a DCJ production-line upgrade to improved or revised part

gmctd is most correct,
When I purchased my Crankshaft Position Sensor from NAPA last weekend, l I was pleasantly surprised to find in the NAPA box contained a sealed in a bag Bosch part with the correct Bosch part number which matched the OEM part that I removed....
:-)r
Made in Germany quality parts, not some made in China junk!!!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:09 pm 
LOST Member

I did say MAY..:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:54 am 

Last night I OHM'ed on the defective crankshaft position sensor I removed last weekend. At room temperature it read a little over 900Ω across the two outer terminals on a Fluke digital meter with no scaling set.
I then proceeded to take the unit apart. It is a well put together little unit by Bosch! It has 3 connectors on the plug, 2 wires, with one being copper, and the other being silver like maybe stainless. The two wires are wrapped in a heavy metal shield. Looks like the shield is connected to the center connector on the plug.
The wire coverings inside the shield were both pretty much cooked and the insulation was falling apart!
All three circuits go into the pickup head via wires which contains a magnetic center surrounded by a metal sleeve.
I did not grind the whole pickup head apart, only the top, as it is one tough little cookie!
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:00 am 
LOST Member

I will investigate info later.

My plan is to put together an ebook for free with info and more importantly, scope captures of inputs and outputs.

Now that I just did my TB, first on my list is a CKP, CAM, Injector and MAF capture. Showing proper CKP to CAM relationship. Very useful for seeing if belt is stretched off one tooth. Of course that will only show intake to CKP.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:06 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
There seems to be a lot of failures or suspected failures of Crankshaft Position Sensors on our Jeep CRD's in the recent past.
So, I thought I would start a thread for everyone to list their failures so all on here could learn from it and know what to expect when it might happen to them!
Please post your symptoms and / or details if you have had a failure of the Crankshaft Position Sensor so all can learn from your experience.

Here is the sequence of events:
My wife tells me one day she came back to start her jeep which was already hot. It took a long time cranking but eventually fired up fine, with no codes.
1wk later, same thing.
1wk later, Jeep wouldn't start at all hot. Let it cool and all was fine.
1wk later, it almost died on me while in a drive thru. It was like all the injectors quit firing for a quarter second, but afterwards kept running smooth and with no codes.
1wk later, while I was out of town, of course, it died on her at a stoplight. After cranking for a while it started up and drove fine. After getting to her destination, it wouldn't start at all and she had to get a ride home.

After reading jeepdan's saga, the first thing I suspected was the crankshaft position sensor. So I took it out and did the same heat gun test on it. It started out at 1100 ohms and steady, but after only about 30 seconds the resistance skyrocketed up to 40kohm and bounced around between there.

To remove the crank sensor, the best way is from under the passenger side. There is a small heatshield on the block, below the turbo, which protects the sensor from heat off the downpipe. Remove the two 10mm bolts holding it on and you can drop it out and see the sensor. An 8mm bolt holds the pigtail bracket to the engine, I had to remove that just to squeeze the plug locking tab. Then a 5mm allen will remove the sensor from the block, it sticks about 2 inches into the block and will come out oily.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here is my saga. Not a long one, but I never got lucky with a DTC being thrown.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80343

Low-PSI inline fuel pump
workin' on it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:51 pm 
LOST Member

I will post a simple test (using a Labscope) in near future.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:33 pm 

For all of you souls out there with a Jeep CRD who have not replaced their Crankshaft Position Sensor, you may want to consider some preemptive maintenance and replace yours before it puts you on the side of the road or refuses to start one day. As our Jeeps are coming up on the 9 to 10 year old mark, there seems to be a pattern of failed crankshaft position sensors by many...
It is not a bad job to replace, do it from underneath, remove the heat shield held on by 2 6mm bolts (10mm bolt head), unplug the sensor, remove the 5mm allen bolt that hold the sensor in the block, then twist the sensor out and reverse the procedure.
If you cannot get the sensor plug out of the bracket, unbolt the bracket and remove it with the old sensor, then install the sensor plug in the bracket and re-install everything on the motor....
8)
NAPA has the OEM (reboxed) made in Germany by Bosch part available.... :-)r

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Replaced mine today on the Sport with 122K on the clock, it seemed to be starting a little harder when it was warm, and we have been frigid here, so when it was cold, it was cold. I also notice the tac would flutter about 100 RPM at idle, considering the CPS reads the RPM, maybe another sign?

I will have to wait and see how it goes with a few start cycles to be sure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I wanted to contribute to this thread. Unfortunately, I didn't see this before I posted my own about a no start condition:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83068&start=0

The codes I was getting (using the rapid-cycle ignition technique) were: P0893, P0353. papaindigo stated that this technique is known to transpose the last 2 digits. P0335 is a crankshaft position sensor code! P0839 is the 4WD indicator light, which is also messed up on my jeep (have the part, but not the massive socket to fit it yet), so that made me pretty sure I could trust that I needed to buy one and replace it.

I ordered the STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS PC766 for $56 shipped, and it said Bosch on the part. I posted a few more details in the thread linked above.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:40 am 
LOST Junkie

my is died with no notice , one morning would not start and after some cranck I pulled the P0353

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:22 am 

CPS should be one of these DTC's.

P0335 - Crankshaft Position [CKP] Sensor A Circuit
P0336 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit A Range/Performance
P0337 - CKP Sensor Circuit Low Frequency
P0338 - CKP Sensor Circuit High Frequency
P0339 - Crankshaft Position Circuit Intermittent
- Wiring, poor connection, CKP sensor, ECM
- Faulty crankshaft position sensor
- Crankshaft position sensor harness is open or shorted
- Crankshaft position sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Signal plate may be damage
- Starter motor may be faulty
- Starting system circuit
- Dead or weak battery

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:48 am 
LOST Junkie

oooppsss thanks for the correction , I have mistyped :wink:
I wanted to write P0335

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:53 pm 
LOST Member

Mine started off as intermittent no start, and left me stranded a few times.
Never threw a code at any time. Repeat: no failure codes at all.
Eventually moved to a no-start all the time. I thought I was chasing an air leak in the fuel system.
:furious:

Interestingly, a small shot of starter fluid in the intake would successfully start it (diesel mechanic did this, not me) every time. It would successfully restart, too. However, once the engine got cold again, it was no-joy again.

I've been back on the road for 3 weeks+ now, and it hasn't so much as hiccupped since the CPS was replaced.

I am starting to think that we all need to add this as a replacement piece for maintenance, perhaps with the timing belt changes? The part is cheap enough, only $83.00...
:BINGO:

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm traveling and during a rest stop the jeep started and ran rough, had low power, stalling, and dying under acceleration, was making a clanking noise as if the torque converter bolts were loose? I am thinking I should order this part before I hit the highway just in case?

I did not get a cel, I am going to check for codes later. Let you know how I make out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No codes, I already ordered one at the local Napa.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:13 pm 

flman wrote:
I'm traveling and during a rest stop the jeep started and ran rough, had low power, stalling, and dying under acceleration, was making a clanking noise as if the torque converter bolts were loose? I am thinking I should order this part before I hit the highway just in case?

I did not get a cel, I am going to check for codes later. Let you know how I make out.

Never heard of anyone having those symptoms from a CPS, but you may be the first. Hard to rule out anything when it comes to an electrical component. Most symptoms reported on this forum including my own were no start when hot, engine completely cutting off soon after engine startup during warming cycle, or no start period... :roll:
Replacing the CPS is a good place to start, let us know if a new CPS fixes your issue... :?:

Autozone has them for 50 bucks and some change, maybe NAPA will price match? When I bought mine a couple years back, it was a Bosch Part that was in the Autozone box!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:04 am 
LOST Junkie

Last year, went out to go to the dump, engine cranked but no start. had been running fine the day before. Fuel head fine. Left it 10 mins, fired up fine and drove no issues. No starting problems for a couple of days, then did it again - had to crank twice and fired on 3rd attempt then ran with no problem.

No codes at all, so read up on here, then got crank and cam sensors from id parts. Got my dealer to change and test the crank sensor, and sure enough it showed an intermittent fault which would have continued to degrade. I swapped out the cam sensor myself purely as a precautionary measure. No issues since. Both sensors were Bosch, and the Jeep had 82k miles and 10 years under its belt.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next