It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO: DASH DISASSEMBLE
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok every one... I got bored on Sunday and thought I should do some exploring. It is one of my goals to create a in depth How To section as there is for the kj. If you have a how to please submit it so we can build the knowledge base

First, Pop the two retaining clips for the lower kick panel by using either a flat head screwdriver or a panel removal tool such as this one

Next, grasp and pull the panel towards you to unlock it out of its track. This uses the same track system as the glove box

Next, use your prying tool and pop the trim piece that faces the door. Once that is done, pull the panel toward the rear of the vehicle to get it out from behind the rubber door seal.

Now move your attention to the radio dash bezel. Carefulley, apply slight pressure on the underside of each of the carbon fiber looking strips. Next move down to about the radio face and use your tool to pry out the bezel on both sides.Image

At this point, you can turn back to the IC bezel

First start by working your fingers or pry tool behind the a pillar trim. Be careful as the side curtain air bags and radio antenna are behind this trim

Move over towards the HVAC defroster trim. Once the two clips are dislodged, pull the trim towards you to pull the tab out of the main dash bezel. This piece is removed by popping up the front face and then pushing the trim toward the window and pulling up.

Now, adjust the steering wheel all the way down and and grasp the under side of the gauage bezel buy your knees and pull up. There are 4 clips in total and then the plastic clips things that hold the top part of the bezel to the dash.

Remove the screw that is attached to the dash bezel by the speaker. Best thing to use is a 9/32" socket and a 1/4" drive ratchet. After this, just grasp the dash peice and pull up to remove it.

At this point, now all that is left is the 4 screws that hold the Instrument cluster in placeImage

there are 4 electrical connection to the back of the dash head.

Slots A,B,C are used on my dash head

Installation is just the reverse

Should you have any more questions just let me know.

Next to come, FRONT GRILL AND HEAD LIGHT REMOVAL

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:02 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

No disassemble #5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Digger, thanks for posting this info. It came in really handy today while installing my Valentine One radar/laser detector and remote display. If it hadn't been for your How To's, I probably would've wound up breaking some plastic piece (which I've done numerous times before on other vehicle projects when I don't know how the pieces are assembled).

Thanks again.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Not a problem :wink: I'm glad I could help

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: DASH DISASSEMBLE
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know this seems like a super obvious question, but what type of tool do I need to remove the screws that are holding the grab-handles on the pillars (on a 2005 Liberty Limited)?

The documentation (and appearance) say it's 5 mm, but I can't fit a socket in there to actually turn it since there doesn't seem to be enough clearance. (I know that on some models it's a torx screw, but this is definitely not that.)

I'm amassing quite a collection of hex and torx tools, but still don't seem to have one that works for this. :-(

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited - with Fumoto oil drain valve! :-) AND Rock Lizard Rack, Weeks Kit, ARP studs, Model 001 thermostat, Hayden fan clutch, and brand new TB, water pump, plugs, and rockers (thanks Georgi!)
2003 VW Jetta TDI
2000 Ford Excursion XLT (diesel)
2007 Wells Cargo TW101-V (custom camping trailer)

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: DASH DISASSEMBLE
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

FYI, on my 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD (mfg Feb 2015) I had to use a 5.5mm socket (an extra long one) to remove the grab handles.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited - with Fumoto oil drain valve! :-) AND Rock Lizard Rack, Weeks Kit, ARP studs, Model 001 thermostat, Hayden fan clutch, and brand new TB, water pump, plugs, and rockers (thanks Georgi!)
2003 VW Jetta TDI
2000 Ford Excursion XLT (diesel)
2007 Wells Cargo TW101-V (custom camping trailer)