It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KJ Wheel Fitment
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:14 am 
LOST Member

I am the new owner of a 06 KJ CRD. I've read the noob guide and have been reading threads on this site to gain some knowledge on how to work/modify the CRD. And I have a wheel question for the experts here...

The KJ came with stock Al wheels with fairly decent Yokohama 235-70-16's on them. They seem to work well, with just a touch of rubbing at full lock on the steering wheel (something I expect will go away once I do a small lift). Where I live, studded snows are pretty much necessary for the winter (which is now upon us, getting 4-8" of snow tonight as I write this). I found a like new set of studded 235-65-17 tires. These should fit the same, tire calculators say they are 2mm bigger in diameter than the 16's that are on there now. But I have to get some 17" wheels for them. Not that big a deal as I usually get two sets of wheels for my vehicles, so I can do the summer/snow swaps myself rather than going into the tire shops.

So I have been looking around (mostly on craigslist) for sets of used Jeep 17" wheels, but I am a bit unsure of which ones I can use. I see on the bolt pattern charts that in addition to Liberty wheels, quite a few other jeep wheels have the same bolt pattern (Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Commander, Compass) but some have a different offset. Would those work? How about Renegade wheels (is a Renegade a KJ, sorry but I am showing my lack of Jeep knowledge)? I'm not looking for anything fancy, after all these are for snow tires and will be covered in mud most of the time. Suggestions for which 17" wheels would fit those new tires and Liberty?

TIA

Post subject: Re: KJ Wheel Fitment
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:27 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Stock height you are going to need to stay with a Liberty wheel. If stock size is rubbing then I'm sure you are sagged somewhat so going with different wheels/ different backspacing could cause issues.While other models of Jeeps had the 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern not many ran a 17 inch wheel, oddball size
16 inch would of been better to get in same tire size as stock
Keep checking Craigslist etc for takeoffs or on the Jeep Liberty forums

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:24 am 
LOST Member

Thanks Tom.

I've read about a lift/sagging measurement people do; I think it is center of axle to rim of fender but not 100% sure.

Can someone tell me the "right" way to do this measure, and what common values should be for stock, sagged, lifted, etc.

TIA again

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:25 am 
LOST Addict

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Measure from the bead on your rim to the bottom of your guard...that measurement never changed and you can rest the end of the tape in the bead then measure up to your guard/fender.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:25 am 

bribieboi wrote:
Measure from the bead on your rim to the bottom of your guard...that measurement never changed and you can rest the end of the tape in the bead then measure up to your guard/fender.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

But then depends on if you have 16 / 17 inch wheels etc so would be different for different owners
middle of the wheel/hub to bottom of the fender never changes no matter what

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:55 pm 
LOST Member

Got another wheel question for this KJ. 17" wheels for it are pretty scarce, but I've noticed there are plenty of 5x5 bolt pattern 17" jeep wheels out there.

So I was wondering if I got a set of Jeep 5x5 17" wheels (like from a newer Wrangler or GC), and got 1.5" 5x4.5 to 5x5 converters to make them fit, would that work? Looks like most of the converters are 1.25 to 1.5" thick. It seems to me that this combo should be OK. However the wheels will stick out a bit further than before, and might contact the rim of the wheel well on large excursions upwards (probably would touch now too, but would be make more contact with the tires spaced out more).

BTW, I measure 18.5" from center of axle to edge of wheel well rim. Is that sagged, lifted (what's the stock measure)?

What do folks think, OK or not?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:33 pm 

Steve777 wrote:
Got another wheel question for this KJ. 17" wheels for it are pretty scarce, but I've noticed there are plenty of 5x5 bolt pattern 17" jeep wheels out there.

So I was wondering if I got a set of Jeep 5x5 17" wheels (like from a newer Wrangler or GC), and got 1.5" 5x4.5 to 5x5 converters to make them fit, would that work? Looks like most of the converters are 1.25 to 1.5" thick. It seems to me that this combo should be OK. However the wheels will stick out a bit further than before, and might contact the rim of the wheel well on large excursions upwards (probably would touch now too, but would be make more contact with the tires spaced out more).

BTW, I measure 18.5" from center of axle to edge of wheel well rim. Is that sagged, lifted (what's the stock measure)?

What do folks think, OK or not?

Bad idea on the JK wheels
spacers will set the wheel / tire out further opening a whole other can of worms, ( when unlifted)
will rub A LOT
So no wpuld not be OK
Yes you are sagged at least 1/2 inch depending , We generally use 19 inches as a genearl measurement, they averaged in the 19-19.25 it seems

I would really sell those tires and just find some 16s to run
Am sure you could sell them easily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

First time poster, long time reader here hijacking a thread :oops:

I just recently installed OME lift kit and a clevis spacers for my -06 CRD and now I have my "new" 17" OEM wheels in the paint shop, expecting them to be ready by the end of the week.
My friend had 265/65/17 GoodYear Wrangler UltraGrip SUV all season tires which he was getting rid of because hes driving regurlarly to Lapland (I live in Finland :roll:) with his truck and you pretty much need studded tires there.

Soo, I pretty much blindly bought em from him since they came with the truck and he hasnt even used them, so they are pretty much brand new. Now when my lift is installed and I am getting closer to actually getting my rims I started to wonder - will they fit?

My front is sitting at 53,7 cm and rear exactly at the same after about 2000 kms and an alignment. Fender bottom to the middle of the hub. I believe the 17x7,5" inch "Freedom Edition" rims have the backspacing of 5.56 inches (33,25 offset, had to see this from keystones OEM replica wheel description, not entirely accurate..)

Gladly the GoodYears are not an AT tire so the pattern is not aggressive or anything.

Heres a link for the tire:

http://www.goodyear.eu/home_en/tires/4x ... rom=browse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:26 pm 

Maickdd wrote:
First time poster, long time reader here hijacking a thread :oops:

I just recently installed OME lift kit and a clevis spacers for my -06 CRD and now I have my "new" 17" OEM wheels in the paint shop, expecting them to be ready by the end of the week.
My friend had 265/65/17 GoodYear Wrangler UltraGrip SUV all season tires which he was getting rid of because hes driving regurlarly to Lapland (I live in Finland :roll:) with his truck and you pretty much need studded tires there.

Soo, I pretty much blindly bought em from him since they came with the truck and he hasnt even used them, so they are pretty much brand new. Now when my lift is installed and I am getting closer to actually getting my rims I started to wonder - will they fit?

My front is sitting at 53,7 cm and rear exactly at the same after about 2000 kms and an alignment. Fender bottom to the middle of the hub. I believe the 17x7,5" inch "Freedom Edition" rims have the backspacing of 5.56 inches (33,25 offset, had to see this from keystones OEM replica wheel description, not entirely accurate..)

Gladly the GoodYears are not an AT tire so the pattern is not aggressive or anything.

Heres a link for the tire:

http://www.goodyear.eu/home_en/tires/4x ... rom=browse

I'll have to translate the exact height when I get back home, but that size tire is around 30.5 inches tall , so should be OK with OME lift plus clevis

OK so that comes out to only 2 inches of lift
those tires will be tight on there
Will need to bend the pinch weld over for sure

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:09 am 
LOST Newbie

I guess Ill just pound the pinch welds and hope for the best then. Is this an backspacing issue or just that the tire is so wide?

Will be getting something with proper offset for my summer tires but Im quite happy if I could just manage with those tires as they didnt cost me a dime and are supposedly fine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Maickdd wrote:
I guess Ill just pound the pinch welds and hope for the best then. Is this an backspacing issue or just that the tire is so goddamn wide?

Will be getting something with proper offset for my summer tires but Im quite happy if I could just manage with those tires as they didnt cost me a dime and are supposedly fine.

Got them fitted.
Had to pound the pinch welds and still need to heat gun the inner fender on the front end to get rid of rubbing. Very minor when braking and wheels at full lock :JEEPIN:

Still need to get my middle caps painted and change to chrome wheel lugnuts :ROTFL:

poopy as hell right now, still some crap from last weekends wheelin and craploads of mud and stuff around here this time of the year.