It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:39 pm 
LOST Member

Derailing the thread!! Sorry TNRebel, I live in Melbourne too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:32 pm 
LOST Member

No need to be sorry that you are from Melbourne also be proud LOL J/K :lol: hey we will have to get togather some time for a ride, Im stock but not afraid to get it Dirty LOL

Off-Road Package,
Rock Rails,
Tow Package, Factory Tow Hooks Front.
Rear Hitch Tow Hook,
750 Watt Inverter,
Cobra 25 WX CB Radio W/ a Cobra HG-M75 Power Mic
Cobra 100 Watt CB Magnet Mount Antenna - HG-A1000
Garmin nuvi 265T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:48 pm 
clean machine
clean machine

libby, that model 2 roof rack is a very fine looking and well-crafted unit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:14 pm 
LOST Member

Looks good

What you gonna sell them for?

LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Some people have been asking for dimensions on Model 2 Rack, so here is a few measurments..

Overall height 7"
Distance between front and rear top bars 37" o.c.
Basket depth 3"
Basket length 36"
Basket width 39"
Bottom tube diameter 1 3/16"
Top tube diameter 15/16"

This rack mounts directly to roof, replacing the stock roof rails. No drilling required, reuse bolts from rails. This is a very sturdy roof rack, it should hold just about anything that will fit in it. The basket floor is made of flat bar that is welded into place with slight arch that will support more weight.

One more thing, does anyone know if the Yakima or Thule bike rack will clamp to 1 3/16" tube?

Last edited by libby on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TnRebel wrote:
Will that fit an 06 ? that would be worth the drive to NC :D you have the gift Image

I don't believe the roof has changed since '04, so I'll assume it will. Measure the distance (on center) between the two roof rails at the front.

Post subject: wiring
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This is how I wired 4 Hella 500s. This was requested by someone, but maybe more can benefit.

Power comes straight from the battery with a larger gauge wire. The single wire is about 10" long then splits into two wires going to each relay.

Relays are tucked behind the computer in the drivers side corner of engine compartment.

The ground for the relays goes to a ground stud on firewall.

Signal wire from switch to relay. Had to drill a hole in firewall.

Removed some plastic from dash behind the surface panel. Blue wire is a ground for the lighted switch and the blue/green wire is tapped into the cigarette lighter to power the LED switches.

Route the wires under the cowl vent panel and up behind the weather stripping. Protect the wires against chaffing. The bolt that holds down the rack makes a good ground if you clean it. Drill a hole in the factory rail endcap if you have one for the wire to pass through.

I am not responsible if you burn your jeep down to the skids. This is just how I wired my own lights.

Post subject: Model 1
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just curious how much a Model 1 would cost. Great looking work altogether though Libby

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

deleted

Last edited by libby on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's kinda funny, But my brother and I had a couple bonding sessions for a few months this past winter and ended up with something very similar to what you posted in the first post.

We used 3/4" round conduit for the whole thing. I oppted for pipe bending instead of welding the corners. The conduit is so thin that it just crompied, so I position some 1/2" rebar inside the conduit at the corners and used the pipe bender to get my 90s. I also used the 3/4" for the base crossbeams and the vertical supports. We made 4 "U" shaped peices out of 4 10' pipes then welded 2 together to form 2 squares. then welded the 2 squares to 5" vertical supports to hold it all together.

We didn't encorporate a lightbar at the time, but I want lights now. I think (if it's ok with you) that I am going to modify it a bit so that the top "sqaure" stops about 1' shorter than it is now but leave the bottom square it's full length. The rack I made is huge. it starts directly above the back window and comes to about 6" from the front of the roof.

One thing I did do different that I like over your design were my mounts. Instead of welding the mounting plates directly to the rack like you did, I made then detachable. I used steel bar to make the bolt plate and used more 1/2" rebar to make "pins" welded to the plate. I welded 3/4" "sleeves" into the bottom of the rack. That way, the sleeves slide down over the permanent pins. I drilled a small hole through the pin/sleeve assembly to instal some small cotter pins. Everything is nice and snug, the cotter pins hold it all in place, but can be removed so that the rack can be lifted off. I figured it would be good to have it easily removable.

I have some Qs for ya, silly stuff that I noticed when making mine...

1) Did you notice that the front mount points site about 3" wider than the back ones? I made my rack completely square. When I sat it on the roof to tac measure the mounts, the front sat inside them instead of on them, but the back was perfet. I got all pissed and figured I had not made it square, so we spun it 180. The back still sat perfect and the front was still in about 3". I just made a wider bolt plate for the front and everything worked.

2) Did you have any issue with the stock "bolt sleeve"? Where the stock rails screws going into the roof, there is a little brass sleeve that they screw into. Like 3 of mine spin freely after taking out the stock screews. I had to do a tittle tiny tac weld on them all to hold them in place so I could rescrew stuff. Did you experience that at all?

I'll post some pictures when I get home to my digital. I would have posted sooner, but I'm trying to avoid blowing $1000s by seeing all the neat ideas on the boards, so I try to avoid them :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

pictures...

[]--------[] ---2.5" BDS lift, 245/75/16 MT/Rs, Moab Rims, Locked and Regeared!
[]_____[] ---The list got to long, go to my web site for more!

Last edited by Gris on Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gris wrote:
I have some Qs for ya, silly stuff that I noticed when making mine...

1) Did you notice that the front mount points site about 3" wider than the back ones? I made my rack completely square. When I sat it on the roof to tac measure the mounts, the front sat inside them instead of on them, but the back was perfet. I got all pissed and figured I had not made it square, so we spun it 180. The back still sat perfect and the front was still in about 3". I just made a wider bolt plate for the front and everything worked.

2) Did you have any issue with the stock "bolt sleeve"? Where the stock rails screws going into the roof, there is a little brass sleeve that they screw into. Like 3 of mine spin freely after taking out the stock screews. I had to do a tittle tiny tac weld on them all to hold them in place so I could rescrew stuff. Did you experience that at all?

Yes, I did notice that the jeep gets wider towards the front. The first rack I made is a rectangle and its detachable from the mounts (cross bars). The second rack follows the lines of the roof (not fun).

I have yet to strip the thread in those little brass sleeves. I've had them out more times than I can count. I like your sleeve bolt idea. I was looking into another way to mount the second rack because aligning the rack with those eight little holes is extremely time consuming. I need some adjustment on the horizontal axis.

Hope that helps. Any other questions, just ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:59 pm 
LOST Addict

are models 1 or 2 still being made?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

how good are those hellas on the roof like that ??
do you get any of the light blinding you through the sunroof?
Thinking of throwing a couple on the roof but dont want the glare off the hood the shadow off the roof or the glare into the sunroof ....

thanks for the help

{Electric Stuttertone Emergency Horn}
strobe leds front and rear
2 way VHF radio (kenwood)
westin brush guard+ Hella 500's w/ 100w 3000k bulbs
back seat removed and shelf added
rolled and totaled dec 4 2010..(drunk driver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's been a long time since I looked at this post.

They work well and there is no glare. I don't do much night time off-roading, but I use them a lot when we go camping. It's nice to have light when when you get to a campsite after dark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

Man talk about a resurection... good to see you're still around Libby.

I got one of his racks too, pretty much same set up with the Hellas. I dont get any glare either (after I adjusted the lights). Dont have a sunroof so I cant tell you about the light coming in from there.

later,mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Are you still making theses? If so how much for either one?

97 XJ Country Black and all stock for now:)
HP30 & 8.25 axles

http://schroeder222.mybrute.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

03jeepkj wrote:
Are you still making theses? If so how much for either one?

No, I don't have the time anymore. Sorry. I made a few and it was fun, but hard work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:39 pm 
LOST Member

That's not homade it's Fabricated that is a great job and an excelent design on all versions !!!!!

3 Jeeps owned
Favorite Destination Gunnison Co.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I half wish I hadn't seen this post...

I don't suppose there are published or carefully recorded dimensions on the stock roof bars or their mounting points are there?

If I can find some I'm going to start building some ideas in my solid modeler when I'm "working" late during the next few evenings.

I know I can make racks at my work, except for the bends. Our bender sucks. Note to self, make sure next employer has a CNC Pines with mandrel...

Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options

Last edited by Boiler on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next