It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The conversion has begun!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

The CRD is continuing to run so well I decided to sell my old 1980 300d greasecar. It was sad to see it drive off yesterday, but I'm no longer driving it. Once I'd gotten used to veg powered torque of the crd, there is no going back to a non turbo 32 year old merc. Vaya con Dios, Mercedes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:09 am 
LOST Newbie

On a sad note I heard the new owner totaled the mercedes the next day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:25 am 
LOST Newbie

So, it's been a long time since I posted any updates. The jeep continues to run perfectly on veg. My commute is only 14 miles each way and we've had some cold mornings in the last month. But, I decided to track my mileage the last time I filled the diesel tank. I think I have a much shorter commute than GreasyBob, so I use diesel more frequently for my start up and purges. But, still I got 91mpg of diesel on my last tank. Suck that Prius! I expect better mileage as the summer months settle in and the ambient temperature requires less diesel to reach switch over temp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:37 am 
LOST Newbie

I was thinking of making the spare tire the diesel tank, therefore, I would make it smaller for weight purposes. Then I would convert the diesel tank to wvo.
What do you think about this setup. I've been burning wvo in my 7.3L F250 with A Golden Fuel Systems kit for 7 years now. But the wife was driving the Jeep so I didn't do a complete conversion on it. But now that she has another jeep crd to drive I got one to do a complete conversion on and this is what I've been considering.

your thoughts and suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thought I'd throw another update out. I now have close to 50k veg miles and still not even a hiccup. I love this truck. The system has paid for itself and I'm now driving on the cheap! Looking forward to some serious road trips in 2014!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 pm 
LOST Member

if you drive to south florida I will give you 500# of grease so you can make it back.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:20 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm very glad to find this thread. I'm new here and also now to the CRD. I wanted my wife to have 4wheel drive options and she wanted a diesel. The CRD was an easy decision. I've been interested in WVO for a few years but am usually traveling and moving too much to find a VO source and a reliable car worthy of the conversion. Now, my wife and I are finally in a situation to make it happen. I know I have A LOT of learning to do but I have read the WVO bible and started a couple of other great dialogues with friends. Of course, the internet is endless.

Just thought I'd start some dialogue here, also.

GreasyBob, I've read a lot of your posts about the CRD over a few websites but I noticed you hadn't posted in quite some time. Glad to see you're still active here. I'll be asking you a lot of questions.

acuboy, where in the Bay Area are you located? My wife and I will be living in Pacifica by November. Hoping to have the CRD converted by spring and possibly will have added an 80's Mercedes to my driveway by then.

Hope to talk soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:35 pm 
LOST Member

Find a grease source and start collecting and filtering now. Converting to grease is easy. Constantly gathering and filtering is the hard part.

I read it is much harder in California to find grease cheap and of good quality. Filtering is no walk in the park either.

Good Luck.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Mitchisword,

I'm over in Oakland, so not far from you. The CRD has continued to be a great veg rig. Greasybob is right. The collection and filtering is the toughest part. It has gotten a little hard to find oil in the Bay Area, but I stopped trying restaurants and found a great source in a catering company. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Thought I'd throw out another update since I haven't posted here in over a year. The CRD is still running perfectly on veg oil. I still haven't had a single issue related to wvo system. I gotta give it up for PlantDrive. They installed a great system. I've put on about another 20k miles since my last post, so I'm up around 70k veg miles now. I consider the experiment pretty much done. The CRD is a great veg rig.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Another year... almost all veg miles... still zero issues. This vehicle has waaaaaay since paid for itself in fuel savings. My plan now is to slowly convert it into a mad max adventure rig for me and my 6 year old boy to explore the country. With the diesel tank full and the 33 gallon veg tank I have some serious range!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, another year has passed and another 10k veggie oil miles with zero problems. I'd say the experiment of whether or not the crd is a good veggie oil rig has been answered. Happy motoring!

-duncan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:50 am 
LOST Member

I've spent the past three-years elsewhere on LJ doing battle with various systems on my CRD. Given my past experience with WVO, I finally decided to scope this thread.
I used to perform WVO-conversions to 85-94 ford 6.9/7.3's. Driven around 150k on WVO. Many battles, including much winter driving in -10f in the high Nevada desert. Experimented with many system designs: fuel pumps, filtration, heated tanks, heated lines, valves and gauges.
I will go back and finish reviewing ALL of the contributions to this thread and then supply my two cents.
WVO can be a complete pita, but there's little to compare with the satisfaction of chugging down the road flipping-off fuel-pumps.

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:05 am 
LOST Member

Gypsy,

My deepest apologies. The term used that has upset you so, I learned from my best friend while serving in Desert Storm. He's Afro-American, educated and a patriot. My father served 3 tours in Vietnam and has "a thing" against them (I don't). My Grandfather served on 4 ships in the Merchant Marines during WW2 and has "a thing" against Germans and Italians. I got a lecture about owning a German owned and Italian powered Jeep... To each his own.

Again, my deepest apologies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:09 pm 
LOST Member

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, it's basically been a year since my last post. Thought I'd throw out another update. Another year has passed without a single issue related to using straight vegetable oil as my primary fuel. If any of you have access to free waste veggie oil, like I do, I really think you should consider this. I had a couple non-veg related failures. I had a long standing overboost problem, which I decided to remedy with one of Joe Kirian's upgraded turbos and the TCM (transmission control module) failed and needed to be replaced. The beauty is that since I don't pay for fuel (except the small amount involved in filtering) I don't really mind throwing a little money at maintenance and upgrading. Anyway, if anyone ever has questions feel free to hit me up. Happy Jeepin'!

-duncan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:02 am 
LOST Member

Glad to hear all is well! Though I never did the full conversion on my libby, it runs over half the year on my secret mix recipe. Costs me about $1/gal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:48 am 
LOST Member

Back in Gotham, some WVO applied-practices gleaned from >150k miles converting/driving multiple Ford IDI's as high-altitude, 4-season tow vehicles (including <0 degrees F. @ Northern Nevada winter night-hauls) :

Screw all the big $$$ filtration & pre-heating system vendors.

You can reliably use 2-10 micron low-cost H2O filter-housing & filter cartridges, readily available at Ag supply retailers or online. HOWEVER, you must use the string-cartridges, not waxed cartridges. $5/filter; their durability depends on the purity of your oil and, to a lesser extent, delivery temperatures. These serve as effective SECONDARY filters; you still want to have the OEM's PRIMARY 1-2 micron filters inline (post Ag-filter & pre-OEM HP fuel pump).

To monitor your filter & advise replacement intervals, install inline fuel-pressure gauges on EACH side of the filter. The variation in the two readings advises you that the secondary (Ag) filter is becoming clogged & merits replacement.

Pre-heating: Tube-in-Tube Heat Exchanger.
Run copper 1/2" as the WVO-line, then 'sleeve' inside of 3/4" copper that is routed with engine coolant (Tee'd into the line pre-post heater-core feeds). In <50f conditions, ideally your onboard WVO tank is being pre-heated by some method (coolant-routing/12vdc heating element, etc).

I'm currently in the middle of other mods/upgrades, but will share pics as I design & implement my own CRD's WVO system.

Suerte

PS- Special thanks to reknowned Norcal WVO-fanatic "Zolt" for much consultation and collaboration over the years!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:50 pm 
LOST Member

As a profesional mechanic I must warn you that diesels that are not made for biodiesel can die form biodiesel... I just saw a case study at the last Duramax class I went to, they showed a 17 Dmax with 25k that had LOTS of sludge and killed the engine with 25k on it. That being said some engines are ok, my recommend is to do 5k oil changes and make sure to use lm2332 oil, it's great in these engines and it's real synthetic oil from Germany, do the ccv kit from sasquach and make sure not to do the EHM, bio tends to have more blowby unburnt debris than diesel#2.

Here is an example of what it can do

https://www.edwardtdodge.com/2014/07/25 ... biodiesel/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:36 am 
LOST Member

Determined and consistently-thorough pre-filtration is imperative, regardless whatever combination of settling, centrifugal, and/or element-filtration you practice.

I have pulled-heads off of IDI Fords that have been ingesting pump-fuel & also heads off of strictly WVO-drinkers. Compared to pump-fed heads, zero, repeat zero, carbon residue on WVO heads/pistons.

Further, although it braces against flash-point physics, I swear that I consistently enjoyed greater apparent towing-power over Donner Pass on WVO vs Pump.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next