It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New tires OME lift and stock rims. (245/75/16) 2006 KJ crd
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello. Need some new tires.

Just got an OME installed and don't want to hammer the pinch welds.... And am not ready to re-gear quite yet.

Could I fit some 245/75/16's? Found a real sweet deal on some.

Opinions and advice welcome. Thank you!

Last edited by slaithe on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: New tires OME lift and stock rims.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:06 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Depends on the amount of lift you are going with
just 2.5 then more than likely you will need to pound the pinch welds to fit that size

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks again tommudd.

Hopefully the 245/75's fit, don't really want to pay $25(+) more per tire for the smaller ones...

Figure buying a hammer and sweating a lil' is much more economical than parting with Ben Franklin and friends if they don't.

Will report back after the tires come in and go on. :SOMBRERO:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:35 am 

waiting to see !!
if you need pictures of how I do the pinch welds let me know I'll post them up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Had to wait a couple days for them to ship into to the store.

What do you think?
I know I really dig them! :BANANA:

It's a real :JEEPIN: now!

They barely rub on the front plastic lip at full lock only, and I do mean FULL lock. No need to buy a hammer, but did buy some gorilla keyed lug nuts and key instead. Just need hit with a lil' dremmeling or bust out the heat gun. Will get try to remember to take some pictures when I take care of that.

Man the tires are gate! Am also planning on going up another inch and throwing some JBA upper control arms with some moog's also soon-ish. But remote start is kinda taking the priority right now.... blasted summer heat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:51 am 

Thats tight in the front for sure
what is the measurement from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes, it's pretty tight in deed. Little bigger then what I wanted.... was a super grate deal and was worried they wouldn't fit.. but they will do. Much cheaper the any if the other options.

So what you want me to measure is center, as in between the ee's in jeep? And the bottom of the gold part?

Measured while test driving around the parking lot with tire service man.

Mostly was measuring where the tires touched. I think it was a half inch to this little lip that comes back at the very bottom. It just barely catches on that at full lock. It's lip like protrudes back past every thing. Only place it seems to rub. Doesn't seem to rub or touche any where else. Went puttering around some near by trails was pretty impressed with its low gear climbing abilities though these large ruts with lots of loose dirt sand and rocks. It was pretty step and really got to flex.. Could really almost crawl with hardly slipping the tires at all... after crawlling around for while checking for rubbing, it's really only just touching the tip of that stupid lip... has been clearing every then else, if but just, otherwise.

I'll probably dremmel that little part of lip that the tread touches, so it's no longer rubbing on anything.

Hasn't seemed to hurt the mpgs hardly at all and rides pretty dang grate.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:46 pm 
LOST Member

If it catches the lip ( albeit full lock) id be wary of any activities that could put any extreme flex and turning, like trailsand rocks like you described. catching the liner is a pain, catching the pinch weld itself is a quick way to ruin thosebrand new tires. Pinchweld is very easy to do, and is great piece of mind, no worries about a shredding, on trails or mall curbs haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:33 pm 

slaithe wrote:
Yes, it's pretty tight in deed. Little bigger then what I wanted.... was a super grate deal and was worried they wouldn't fit.. but they will do. Much cheaper the any if the other options.

So what you want me to measure is center, as in between the ee's in jeep? And the bottom of the gold part?

Measured while test driving around the parking lot with tire service man.

Mostly was measuring where the tires touched. I think it was a half inch to this little lip that comes back at the very bottom. It just barely catches on that at full lock. It's lip like protrudes back past every thing. Only place it seems to rub. Doesn't seem to rub or touche any where else. Went puttering around some near by trails was pretty impressed with its low gear climbing abilities though these large ruts with lots of loose dirt sand and rocks. It was pretty step and really got to flex.. Could really almost crawl with hardly slipping the tires at all... after crawlling around for while checking for rubbing, it's really only just touching the tip of that stupid lip... has been clearing every then else, if but just, otherwise.

I'll probably dremmel that little part of lip that the tread touches, so it's no longer rubbing on anything.

Hasn't seemed to hurt the mpgs hardly at all and rides pretty dang grate.

Heat the plastic to mold it to where it doesn't rub, bend over the pinch weld, ( I have pics if needed on how to )
measure middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front

Post subject: Re: New tires OME lift and stock rims. (245/75/16)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:05 am 
LOST Newbie

Finally going to post an update...

So, it's still rubbing in the front on that lip and a touch on the top when stuffed... and in the back under full flex (problem).

Not thriangular pinch weld covering that protrudes out from the rear portion of the front wheel well's. Repeating this, currently NOT rubbing PINCH welds! It's actually been rubbing on the tip of this little black lip plastic that comes back off the bumper... looks kinda like a tiny upside down spoiler. Mostly in reverse... Will get around to trimming or removing it one day... maybe. Oddly, tires don't touch that part. Though I've read spacers may change that...

The real problem is in the rear. Getting excesive rubbing under full articulation. Pulled out a liner! :shock:

Kind of expected it might, but didn't get around to really fully testing it before.

Definitely NEED spacers in back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:21 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Thats tight in the front for sure
what is the measurement from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare

Love to know the measurements for center of the wheel to fender all the way around.

Post subject: Re: New tires OME lift and stock rims. (245/75/16) 2006 KJ c
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey sparkey, ran out of day light today. I'll try an get you measuments tomorrow, or as soon as i can.

OME brought it to 20 inches center of the rim's "jeep" to top of fender... and the top plate that was installed since brought it up another inch 21 in total. Haven't checked sience the plates went in, so it will be nice to see if it has sagged down any.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Center to top a just under 21 inches.

Center forwar to gold a lil over 17 inches.

Center back to gold is about 17 and 1/2 inches.

There you go sparky. Measured around tire, though so not exact.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:40 pm 

Measure center of wheel to bottom of the flare
Stock is 19 inches after April 12,2002

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:41 pm 

What coils did you use in front ?
The OME 790s ??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Honestly I'm not good with numbers, I can't remember and don't have it written down. Sorry, tomm.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi,

Not trying to hi-jack your thread, are you happy with the 245/75-16 on stock wheels?

Planning on doing larger tires but do not want to invest more money since I just put a new turbo in it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:29 am 
LOST Member

Romo wrote:
Hi,

Not trying to hi-jack your thread, are you happy with the 245/75-16 on stock wheels?

Planning on doing larger tires but do not want to invest more money since I just put a new turbo in it.

Thanks!

Here's a more recent post discussing tire sizes. Lots of factors to consider...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89151

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:40 pm 

Romo wrote:
Hi,
Thanks!

Been running 245x75R16's AT's for several years with no issues. Do have 2.5" lift along with 1/2" clevis spacers.
Did not have to modify anything, lucky I guess based on what some have posted on LOST.
I do believe tires with less aggressive rounded type shoulders fair better than tires with more aggressive square shoulders. Street treads vs AT's vs Mud treads.
Different tires do have different tread profiles depending on tire molds and tread patterns. Thread depth and design can have a big influence on scrubbing issues or not.
Been through this on plenty of 4x4 trucks when putting much larger tires and taller rims.
Look at tire construction and tread profile or pattern before picking a tire. All 245x75R16's are not equal even though they carry the same size numbers.... :juggle:
C & D load rated tires generally have shallower tread depth and less aggressive tread profiles than the heavier E load rated tires.

This is a good site to compare just tire sizes, i.e. widths, diameters, height, etc...
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Great info and thank you.

I also have the same setup, along with a completely new suspension so the Libby sits pretty high.

Getting the General ATX in 245/75-16 installed this week, will post the outcome.