It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: What am I up to today? :LOG:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:02 pm 
LOST Addict

to add onto my previous post, im certain im staying IFS until after Alaska. bought the passenger side half shaft yesterday and should be in hand for install Tuesday while im under my jeep with it dripping oil and rain over me... brand new from Cardone.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:15 pm 
LOST Addict

replaced passenger side CV on Wednesday night. took a bit longer then anticipated, but got it done. im going to need to replace the inboard shaft due to random vibrations.

there's a slim chance that from the end of this month till September that i will be jeep less... well, KK wise that is.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:03 pm 
LOST Addict

The CV is not an easy job. I got part way with mine a few years ago, then punted it to my mechanic. Mostly because I didn't have the tools I needed to do it well and quickly.

Jeepless huh? I imagine you're not trading it in on a Commander if you went to the trouble of fixing your CV. Same with SFA... So... :POPCORN:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:13 pm 
LOST Addict

well, was going to head north for 5 months for a job. i was 1 of 3 people to get the position. though i still may be jeep-less this summer.

that aside, i noticed a few things today while towing the trailer back and forth. trans temp steadily rises to 170 degrees with od engaged. with od off and towing, temps were dropping rappidly while at a red light and rose quickly while driving. i notice this temperature variation with od engaged but it doesn't drop double digits while at a red light.

penny for a thought?

does the transmission have a solenoid that controls the fluid to and from the radiator depending weather or not od is disabled?

the pics arent realy showing my point. lowest i saw at the lights was 165 and highest was 185.

very briefly after a red light stoped for 10 seconds

not more then 10 seconds after said light.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:36 am 
LOST Addict

PALiftedKK wrote:
penny for a thought?

does the transmission have a solenoid that controls the fluid to and from the radiator depending weather or not od is disabled?

I just saw a thread that suggests there is a solenoid. Scar0 thinks the trans fluid circulates directly from the hot to cold lines bypassing the radiator until the fluid temp gets high enough, then the radiator cooling kicks in. This is supposed to help the trans warm up more quickly at the beginning of a drive.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=84576

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:29 am 
LOST Addict

Added a relay into the auxiliary fuse box. Wireing is starting to look less like a birds nest now.

Intermediate shaft is shot... Or maybe just the c clip.

Rack is leaking. Not to bad.

Coolant loss is due to a pin hole leak in the radiator (visible).

The engine "shuddering" is due to a mis fire in cylender 1 and its a spark plug luckily. Not the coil pack.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Today i put cleaner in the radiator. I plan on flushing the system out on Saturday aswell as replacing cylinder 1s spark plug out. I have another 5-8k miles left on the other plugs so im not in a rush to swap them all out just yet.

Engine radiator has a pin hole leak in the passengers side fin. Untill im loosing a quart a week, its staying in. Replacement will be an all aluminum radiator and not a 3 piece of crap (plastic reservoirs and radiator).

Power steering pump seems to be getting worse. I'm going to see if there some fliuds that can thicken up the fluid a bit. Yea yea yea, may put a higher load on the pump but may quiet the pump a bit. Rack seems to be on the way out too so ogh well on the situation.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Sounds like your Jeep is having a few issues! None of them is a terrible problem, but it can be discouraging when they come this close together. Hang in there, and you will get them all worked out! :JEEPIN:

I think NAM made a good power steering how-to in the tech section, if it comes to replacing the rack. He was able to do it without removing as much stuff as it says you need to in the FSM, making it a lot less of a chore (though I'm sure it is still a challenging fix).

I don't think we have a KK radiator swap how-to yet, so your name might be on that one! Hopefully it won't come to that right away, and you can get more life out of the radiator you have. I hear the stop leak stuff is not good to coat the coolant passages in your engine, though. Any way to seal a pin hole leak from the outside?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:42 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
Sounds like your Jeep is having a few issues! None of them is a terrible problem, but it can be discouraging when they come this close together. Hang in there, and you will get them all worked out! :JEEPIN:

I think NAM made a good power steering how-to in the tech section, if it comes to replacing the rack. He was able to do it without removing as much stuff as it says you need to in the FSM, making it a lot less of a chore (though I'm sure it is still a challenging fix).

I don't think we have a KK radiator swap how-to yet, so your name might be on that one! Hopefully it won't come to that right away, and you can get more life out of the radiator you have. I hear the stop leak stuff is not good to coat the coolant passages in your engine, though. Any way to seal a pin hole leak from the outside?

Luckilly the issues currently are inexpensive. I've recently been in the jeep mood for a bit. Having these issues are actually nice (i will eat those words later on).

Id for sure do a write up on the KK radiator swap weather it's an all aluminum aftermarket one or a near oem part direct swap all aluminum one. No sense in replacing junk with junk.

As far as the leak goes, i dont think there is a good exterior sealant. Epoxy is to hard to use, silicone wouldnt adhear to the metal enough. Ill deal with the leak untill i finish research on a near direct replacement.

And i still need to replace the darn intermediate shaft...

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:27 am 
LOST Member

Maybe some JB weld for your pin hole? That's a lot easier to use than most epoxy products.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Almost done with the jeep today! Replaced cylinder 1 spark plug with a new one. When i get a new misfire then ill replace em all. Fixed power steering squeel with thicker fluid or what it seems so.

The rest of the day involves washing it and installing the gps power cable i made. The old cable had issues with power delivery. New one has better circutry and even found a schematic for getting traffic on the gps. 8)

Hell, i may even be motivated enough to flip the rear shocks around. Doubt it with the weather.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:31 pm 
LOST Addict

It was a good day to work on vehicles. Pretty darn hot out, but it sounds like you make forward progress. It is good to be excited about the Jeep, and not only accomplish some fixing old stuff but also trying out new stuff. :JEEPIN:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Released a new video today. check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-srhxuywZk

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Engine puked its guts out today. Engine temp was no more then 211°F. Bought water pump, thermostat, and belt. I pray to god that she has enough coolant in the morning to get me to the parts store for more coolant flush. Shes 3 bottles into the treatment and is leaking worse then niagra falls. I potentially lost about 2 quarts after today. No optuon of tap water as i have to complete the coolant flush.

My neighbours are starting to dislike me; i have plenty of oil and coolant marks on the pavement.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, darn. I guess you knew this might be coming, but were hoping it wasn't going to be this soon. I'm pulling for you to be able to drive to the auto parts store tomorrow morning. If not, then...

(My bike went back and forth to Napa many times last fall during the notorious rear brake line extension project.)

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:57 am 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
Well, darn. I guess you knew this might be coming, but were hoping it wasn't going to be this soon. I'm pulling for you to be able to drive to the auto parts store tomorrow morning. If not, then...

(My bike went back and forth to Napa many times last fall during the notorious rear brake line extension project.)

Thing that sucks is that i have zero time to do the instal till Saturday afternoon... Thank god i have coolant "supposedly" ariving at my house Wednesday... (i orderd sometime last week with prime). I do have a case of water in the back from camping so last case cenereo would be to start dumping 40 billion bottles into the radiator and basically halt the chemical flush. The radiator cleaner seems to not be doing anything, odd because i habe 3 bottles in it. Then again it puked out maybe 2 quarts of it today of only being in the system for 4 days.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:07 pm 
LOST Addict

There are some good radiator replacement photos from Alec's BlueKJ last year at this time. The KJ and KK are pretty much the same under the skin. Nice to know it is not a bad swap to do yourself.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=868274#p868274

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Jeep is sitting still till Saturday... Had her on a flat bed today with a ciezed up water pump and no belt.

No damage to the engine bay when the belt flung off luckily.

I have 100% of everything to start and end on Saturday. Coolant finally came in today!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Had a complete win today!!! :BANANA:

Got lucky when i removed the fan shroud and over fill tank. The belt tensioner bolt head is slightly rounded off. When i removed the wayer pump all of the bolts had diffrent torque. There wasnt any lock tite on them but it looked like there was something of the likes of supper glue on the bolts... The previous owner definetly had the water pump off before i had it.

I degreased thw engine bay since i had everything open. The picture above is a before. It was nasty dirty from the coolant and oil changes.

Cabin and engine radiators were flushed to the best i could but late this year or early next spring i will need to flush it out again due to there most likley being contamination in the block.

Tomorrows plan is to install the front grille, fan shroud, air box and filter, and add coolant.

It was a good day for engine work! :BINGO:

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:00 pm 
LOST Addict

soo there it was Saturday afternoon, coolant was put in, engine burped, test drive, overheat.

i installed a defective thermostat. after the engine overheated i thought to myself that i should have verified it opens and closes around 195. the new defective one opened around 220-230 F when a 195 was stamped on the back. even had the bleader valve pointed upwards.

so i cut my loss with time and coolant and re-installed the original thermostat since there was nothing wrong with it.

engine still has plenty of contamination (even after the chemical cleaner) and will be treated again in the fall after a chemical cleaner and a brand new mopar thermostat.

since the oem thermostat was installed alongside the new water pump, temperatures couldn't look better! at idle, the engine sits at 198-202 degrees without the fan coming on!!! previously the engine would heat up to around 115 at idle. while driving temps haven't risen above 211 but usually sits at 198!

its a small win for sure. lets hope the transmission was not touched by the PO for my piece of mind since that's the next issue to deal with... 3 core transmission radiator add-on. i also need to find time to again install the oil cooler radiator.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next