It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Have you had a valve failure? Please fill out the form below (hit quote on post 2) if you have!
Yes 20%  20%  [ 19 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 27 ]
Not Yet (But I'm worried) 32%  32%  [ 31 ]
Not Yet (Not worried) 20%  20%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 96
 Post subject: Valve failure research thread - We need your data!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:49 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
A disturbing trend is starting to take shape, and I am looking to gather information from anyone that has experienced a valve failure. There is a potential that *every* CRD might have a major design flaw, and be a ticking time bomb. As the miles start to rack up, the risk increases.

For educational purposes, here is a description of the parts of a valve.
Below the top is called the stem - this is the chrome section.
Where the chrome meets the black section is the weld.
The black section of an exhaust valve is a different alloy, and should not be magnetic - If it is, that means it has been badly overheated.
The tapered top of the "coin" is called the Fillet.
The underside of the coin (toward the piston) is the Head.
The part that actually contacts the cylinder head and creates the seal is called the Face.
The matching part on the cylinder head is called the Seat.

I have personally seen 4 different engines with valve failures, and seen the break happen at two different places - One was in the chrome stem, and the other two were in the black stem - but NOT at the weld! These are places that the stem should never break, and we need to try and understand why.

With that in mind, I am researching options for replacement valves, but I need your data to help discover if there actually is a trend in how they are failing and possibly why. I will copy this form into the next post for easy quoting and editing, and we all greatly appreciate your help!

CRD Year:
Mileage at failure:
Mileage with functional EGR:
Method of EGR delete (elbow, GDE, SEGR, died and you didn't fix):
Most common driving (city/highway/mountains/etc):
Do you have an Exhaust Temp gauge:
Pre or post turbo:
If so, most recent average running temp you remember:
Any issues with overheating in the recent history before your failure?:
ARP studs?
Replacement rockers?
Time / mileage between engine work and valve failure?
Which cylinder failed?
How many valves, and which ones broke?
Did the stem break, and was it where the chrome met the black, in the middle of the black, or at the valve "coin" itself?
Do you have any pictures, and can you link / post them here please?
Can you also post a picture / report what the cylinder head stamping was?

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

Last edited by geordi on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Valve failure research thread - We need your data!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:51 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
CRD Year:
Mileage at failure:
Mileage with functional EGR:
Method of EGR delete (elbow, GDE, SEGR, died and you didn't fix):
Most common driving (city/highway/mountains/etc):
Do you have an Exhaust Temp gauge:
Pre or post turbo:
Any issues with overheating in the recent history before your failure?:
ARP studs?
Replacement rockers?
Time / mileage between engine work and valve failure?
Which cylinder failed?
How many valves, and which ones broke?
Did the stem break, and was it where the chrome met the black, in the middle of the black, or at the valve "coin" itself?

Last edited by geordi on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:51 am 
LOST Addict

Reserved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:52 am 
LOST Addict

Reserved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:52 am 
LOST Addict

Reserved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:59 am 
LOST Addict

This is for Naturist's CRD, I will edit / remove if he replies himself. I don't know if he still reads the forum.

CRD Year: 06
Mileage at failure: 200k
Mileage with functional EGR: unknown, suspect about 30k from original owner
Method of EGR delete (elbow, GDE, SEGR, died and you didn't fix): GDE tune, then elbow
Most common driving (city/highway/mountains/etc): Rural highways
Do you have an Exhaust Temp gauge: No
Pre or post turbo: N/A
If so, most recent average running temp you remember: N/A
Any issues with overheating in the recent history before your failure?: Not with this current head.
ARP studs? Yes
Replacement rockers? Yes
Time / mileage between engine work and valve failure? Less than 200 miles after rockers / studs / elbow / glow plugs.
Which cylinder failed? #4 failed
How many valves, and which ones broke? One exhaust valve
Did the stem break, and was it where the chrome met the black, in the middle of the black, or at the valve "coin" itself? It actually broke in the chrome section, and the whole thing ended up embedded in the bottom of the head and twisted. As I remember, there was not a break in the black section.
While the vehicle had 200,000 miles on it, the head was only at 50,000 miles. The original head gasket blew and the original head cracked at 150,000 miles, and a reconditioned head was installed at that point.

As can be seen next to the valve guide in the first picture, the valve stem snapped clean right in the middle of the chrome section, INSIDE the valve guide. THIS SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED. Failure at the top of the fillet (coin) is obviously from impact damage after the stem broke.
Pictures?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:03 am 
LOST Addict

This was Patrick Henry's CRD. At 200k, replaced rockers, timing belt, water pump, failure was approximately 200 miles later. Total mileage with functional EGR is unknown, but he was an active member of the forum and had a GDE programmer, so that suggests the tune was only purchased in the last few years. (touchscreen model programmer) Unknown when the elbow kit was installed to delete EGR.

CRD Year: 2005
Mileage at failure: 200k and a bit
Mileage with functional EGR: Thought to be about 30k
Method of EGR delete (elbow, GDE, SEGR, died and you didn't fix): GDE tune, elbow kit 1 and 2, installation mileage unknown
Most common driving (city/highway/mountains/etc): Rural Kansas / City
Do you have an Exhaust Temp gauge: No
Pre or post turbo:
Any issues with overheating in the recent history before your failure?: None that I am aware of
ARP studs? No
Replacement rockers? Yes, at 200k
Time / mileage between engine work and valve failure? Approximately 200 miles
Which cylinder failed? #1
How many valves, and which ones broke? Both exhaust valves.
Did the stem break, and was it where the chrome met the black, in the middle of the black, or at the valve "coin" itself? Appears to have been forward valve snapped first within the black section of stem (clean break) and subsequent physical damage destroyed other exhaust valve.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:35 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi:

In your list of criteria you do not have any questions regarding driving habits, (for example, if the owner/driver allows a warm-up period before subjecting the engine to any load), nor do you ask if any modifications are done to the cooling system.

The design of the V.M. Motori R428 engine that powers the Liberty CRD is one that is susceptible to head gasket failures and warpage of the cylinder head itself, for the following reasons...

1) It has an aluminum head on an iron block... two different metals where the aluminum has about 2 times the thermal expansion factor of iron. It is for this reason alone that all serious commercial and marine diesel engines are iron head on iron block.

2) It is a high compression engine... it is, after all, a diesel engine and uses high compression alone to ignite the diesel fuel. But this also means that there is more stress placed on head gasket integrity.

3) It is a boosted engine, (either turbocharging or supercharging)... this effectively raises the compression of the air/fuel mix even higher, and putting even more pressure on the head gasket integrity.

Of the three above features that cause a tendency for an engine to have head gasket failures, (and related problems like dropped/broken valves due to cooling system overheat and uneven heating conditions), the aluminum head on iron block design feature is the greatest contributor to this problem. This is why the engineers who design engines like the R428 are very careful to design the cooling system with a serious, high flow bypass circuit so the engine block and cylinder head warms up evenly.

ANY modification to the cooling system on engines such as these must be carefully considered, because if said modification changes any fundamentals from what the engineers intended, then there are likely going to be problems down the road. It is unlikely that those problems will be evident immediately, as the damages due to uneven warm-ups accumulate over time.

If, for example, a CRD owner installs one of those in-hose thermostat valves in the upper radiator hose because his engine is running way too cool as a result of a failed O.E. thermostat, then he has effectively shut down his coolant bypass system, and his engine will not warm up evenly. If he is also one of those owners who works his engine hard without warming it up first, he is REALLY asking for trouble because he is now forcing a much greater amount of hot exhaust gasses past the exhaust valves and out the exhaust ports, and there is little or no coolant flow to carry that tremendous amount of heat away. The aluminum around those exhaust ports will expand way more than the rest of the head, and way more than the block. With nowhere for this expanding aluminum to go, the head will eventually start to warp or crack... it is not too much to imagine the exhaust valves failing as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:34 pm 
LOST Addict

What, no suggestion that your thermostat is the only solution?

The simple fact is that the "uneven heating" you continue to expound on may or may not be happening, but is not a causality directly for these valve failures for several key reasons:

1: The top of the piston is made of the same material as the bottom of the head: Extremely soft aluminum. I admit, I was surprised to discover this, but on cleaning / removing the damaged piston, I discovered that fact. Obviously the aluminum is able to withstand the heat of combustion or we would be talking about melted pistons many years ago.

2: The valves on the intake side are mild steel and coated in chrome. They are magnetic. The exhaust valves are a two-piece design, and the alloy at the bottom is unknown at this time but is non-magnetic. This is apparently standard across the industry, gas or diesel alike.

3: Thank you for speaking to everyone like we are morons and do not understand the concept of compression ignition in a diesel engine. However, the method of ignition and the stresses on the head gasket have nothing at all to do with whether a valve has failed, if there is nothing touching that section of the stem (failed in the alloy) or the stem did not bind in the guide (failed at the top of the stem). There are no signs of head warping as you describe. On any engine that I have ever worked on.

4: I have been informed just today that there have been a large number of reports of failed valves in the USA market, but NOTHING CLOSE to this many reports from the Eurozone or Australian markets. Considering that the TX4 taxi and the Grand Voyager MPV (minivan) both utilize this same engine design EXACTLY THE SAME as the 2.8 with all the same cooling passages and "uneven heating" that we have... Something else is at issue here. The 2.5 liter version of this engine only differs in piston, sleeve, and bearing configurations. That means there are many tens of thousands MORE of these engines elsewhere in the world, without this failure, yet with the same overall design.

So maybe you want to sell your thermostat to the taxi fleets? I'm sure they would love your ease of maintenance.

The failed valves I have seen do not show any evidence of physical contact (adhesion wear) on the length of the stems, and in fact are in surprisingly good condition for having travelled 200k miles and many tens of millions of cycles. Save for the broken stems, they have all looked in amazingly good or even brand-new condition.

The only way a valve is able to cool itself is in direct contact with the head - when it is closed. There are no cooling passages or oil jets to spray on them, so it would suggest that they are quite effectively heating the head evenly from only the very bottom. The stem does not contact the head at any point, so any heat that is conducted up the stem must be cooled from the bottom. If there is a metallurgical flaw in the valves, then even normal heating to the 1300 degrees of cylinder exhaust temperature could be enough to weaken them over time. The piston doesn't melt from this because it has oil jets cooling it continuously.

Let us not forget the simple truth: These valves were mass-manufactured, and probably by the lowest bidder. It would not be out of the realm of possibility that two different product lines (one of which inferior and cheaper) were delivered to the assembly, and the cheaper ones destined for the USA market where we tend to not operate vehicles much beyond the 100k mile lifespan.

I have a potential source for upgraded valves that I will be investigating this week, so hopefully a solution will present itself very soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:57 pm 
LOST Member

any thought that this might be caused by the ULSD fuel we have to use the US..

does any one run biodiesel or 2cycle oil for lubrication?

I add 2 cycle oil to my truck, but not the jeep..maybe I should?

-dkenny

all Biodiesel powered when its warm enough

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:17 pm 

dkenny wrote:
any thought that this might be caused by the ULSD fuel we have to use the US..
does any one run biodiesel or 2cycle oil for lubrication?
I add 2 cycle oil to my truck, but not the jeep..maybe I should?
-dkenny

I add 2 cycle oil to both my Dodge Cummins and my Jeep CRD! :idea: I started adding 2 cycle oil to the Dodge many years ago back in the late 90s when a mechanic friend that drag races diesel trucks advised me that it was very good for the injection pump since the sorry low sulfur diesel fuel we now have at the fueling stations is the only thing that lubricates the pump and injectors... He stated the low sulfur fuel was not good for diesel engines!!! I used 2 cycle oil in the fuel on the Jeep from day one of ownership when I purchased it used!

In a gallon jug, I simply mix 3 qt.s of non-synthetic 2 cycle oil with 1 qt. of Power Service Diesel Kleen Fuel Additive and pour back into qt. jugs for future use. I add 1 qt. to the jeep CRD at fill up and 2 qt.s to the Dodge at fill up since it has a much bigger tank... This has worked very well for my diesels... :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:10 am 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
CRD Year: 05
Mileage at failure: 120,000
Mileage with functional EGR: 100,000
Method of EGR delete (elbow, GDE, SEGR, died and you didn't fix): elbow
Most common driving (city/highway/mountains/etc): highway in the mountains
Do you have an Exhaust Temp gauge: no
Pre or post turbo:
Any issues with overheating in the recent history before your failure? fan failure, overheated about 20,000 miles before valve failure
ARP studs? yes
Replacement rockers? yes
Time / mileage between engine work and valve failure? Replaced head gasket and broken rocker, about 700 miles later the valve under the broken rocker failed. Corrosion pitting at the failure point.
Which cylinder failed? #1
How many valves, and which ones broke? one intake
Did the stem break, and was it where the chrome met the black, in the middle of the black, or at the valve "coin" itself? At the beginning of the fillet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:05 pm 
LOST Member

CRD Year: 2005
Mileage at failure: 175,000
Mileage with functional EGR: 175,000
Method of EGR delete (elbow, GDE, SEGR, died and you didn't fix): N/A
Most common driving (city/highway/mountains/etc): 80 mile daily commute (freeway/backroads)
Do you have an Exhaust Temp gauge: no
Pre or post turbo: n/a
If so, most recent average running temp you remember: n/a
Any issues with overheating in the recent history before your failure?: no
ARP studs? no
Replacement rockers? no
Time / mileage between engine work and valve failure? 75,000 miles after timing belt change
Which cylinder failed? 2nd cylinder from the rear
How many valves, and which ones broke? 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Might be time to have tests run on valve to learn what alloys are used. I have had exhaust valves custom made in England for aircraft engines by a company that makes valves for Cosworth & Illmore. I do have the head of a valve that could be sent over to them check out. I do not have a failed stem. I have also bought other custom valves from them. On recommended overhaul on lycoming engines, (2000hours), exhaust valves must be changed. It would be interesting to see if a higher quality material would be recommended. I would ask them if they make exhaust valves for Audi diesels raced at Le Mans . Bottom line, my crd has 100k miles on it. If I keep it, it will get a set of new exhaust valves at about 150k miles. Also, I have also had exhaust valves ceramic coated which might help against stress corrosion cracking. It appears the broken valve head I have broke at the stem weld.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Size: stem diameter: 5 - 13mm; length: up to 300mm

Monolithic/Bimetallic
Tip hardened / Seat hardened
Ultrahot
Hollow valves, sodium cooled
Friction welded
Gun drilled
Top of head plug laser welded
Seat hard facing by Plasma Transfer Arc (PTA) Process
Seat welded
Surface Treatments
Chrome plate
Nitride (Plasma and SB)
Ceramic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:18 pm 
LOST Member

I am a professor at the Colorado School of Mines in the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering. If you would like to send me your broken parts, and can supervise a study on the failure mechanism(s). I can't promise anything until I see the parts, but there is a chance we can determine why these valves are failing. PM me and I will give you my address to send the parts. The more the better. I will post results here.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:24 pm 
LOST Member

Also, a couple of valves that have not failed would be beneficial. I can determine alloy compositions, microstructures, and fracture mechanisms. I have many characterization techniques at my disposal, and I'm a CRD owner too.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Count on it! That would be amazing!

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:03 pm 

Anything new to post on the exhaust valve research? I am sure all of us driving CRD's are quite interested in any root cause analysis and / or any metallurgical test results... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

X2

:POPCORN:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next