It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EVIC installation procedures with pics
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:01 am 
LOST Addict

[EDIT] Pictures in thumbnails are the ones of bad quality or out of focus.
[EDIT 1st of may 2008] High idle current draw problem with fix.

Problem regarding the installation using just +12v battery power makes the jeep lose all power if not run for a about a week.

The thread here will help you on your way to make the jeep draw less current: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... sc&start=0

Hi guys.

My little saturday project on my KJ was installing an EVIC which I went to purchase yesterday from a wrecker. My unit is from a Grand Cherokee Limited from 2000. No idea if it was petrol or diesel. Part# of this EVIC was 56042271AB.

I used the guide on http://www.jeepkj.com/evic/ you can see there are four wires that you need to install.

On my setup you only need three. You can connect the pink and blue/white together at the EVIC and use this wire in the B+(fused) in the ODBII plug. EVIC comes on when I start the car, and goes off when I shut off the car. It acts exactly like the radio does. Alternatively you can do like me, install all 4 wires and splice both pink and blue/white into B+(fused) on the ODBII plug. Same thing you get, but with more flexibility, if you wish to install the blue/white wire into another hot-on-ignition signal.

This information can save you the trouble of trying to find some wire which is hot when the ignition is on. The B+(fused) is always on but can be used for both power wires as shown here. This install will give you high parked current draw, see added thread link for details of how to find a real ignition switched output. If you don't let your jeep stay parked for more than a few days this will not be a problem.

I bought some electrical cable used for 3-phase systems. 3 phases and one ground, in total 4 wires which is exactly what I need for this thing.

Before anything was done, I went and checked under my front grille for a sensor:

Yep there is a little plastic thingy on there indeed!

Next up was ripping out the overhead lights from the KJ, leaving a little hole:

I wacked the cables into the little hole on my left side, towards the A-pillar of the car. By unscrewing the left side sunblocker I could stuff the cable far enough into the interior to reach it from the sunblocker:

Next I removed the A-pillar plastic cover and got the wire down and re-connected the sunblocker. Took the wire and pushed it into the small hole near the A-pillar.

Stuffed a lot of wire down there and went on my knees to remove the panel at the pedals, unscrewing these:

Got hold of my wire and pulled it for installation:

Now comes the really terrible part! I couldn't get the wires into the ODBII thing, and wanted it to look transparent to the poor sensored word who will buy this car from me later on. So I did the worst I could and cut the wires going to the ODBII plug:

Using those plugs I could splice my wires onto the ODBII port without fussing around with the plug itself. Installed looks like this:

We then proceeded to cut into my beloved car interior, and BEHOLD, we got the plastic cover with thread for screws PREINSTALLED. This could NOT be easier!

Put the little EVIC in and fired up the car, here we GO:

Sweet mother of joy! Temperature sensor works, menu works, fuel consumption works, direction works! Briefly said THE THING WORKS PERFECTLY!!!

Here's one happy KJ owner! YEAH!! :D

PS: The temperature sensor would be pre-installed on MOST KJs as it is needed to activate the aircon at the right temperatures in FLOOR mode. Without one, how would the KJ know when to start its procedure? Most Sports got one is my verdict!

UPDATE:
1) One oddity. When I select "auto lock doors" they will not auto lock until I tap the speeder firmly.
2) EVIC instant MPG works fine since it's an older EVIC
3) EVIC calculated fuel consumption is optimistic. Example: It shows 10.5l/100km when it in reality is 11l/100km (11l/100km by hand calculation pumped fuel vs measured distance (GPS calibrated) )

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!

Last edited by Uffe on Thu May 01, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The EVIC will display and control only those standard, and any optional, functions flashed into the control modules - for instance, the Tire Pressure Monitors: if you have the indicator on the dash, the EVIC will not display the digital data available only in the premium option unless you have it reflashed into the BCM\WCM.

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Maybe you can then tell me how to get the information regarding door opening displayed on the EVIC. My dash shows it and not the evic.

So that will only change with a flash of the PCM/ECM, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Premium options need reflash - dash indicators are for those base vehicles without the premium EVIC option

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject: My installation
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:26 pm 
LOST Member

Well after reading all & everything I could find, I decided to take the plunge and bought on eBay a full EVIC set from a Grand Cherokee 2002, which also included an auto-dim mirror and HomeLink. Installation was a bit more difficult because of the following:
1) wire colors are not the same.
2) overhead console does not fit well and I had to be very creative to make it fit (translation: it's ugly)

So after Saturday playing with the wires to figure out which one does what (and it helps to know that the EVIC may receive power and stay blank, one have to click on the menu button to start it first! that cost me 2hrs) and Sunday to install everything, I started the Jeep and VOILA! I could see all the wonderful information (MPG, average, distance to empty). Everything except the temperature, but I knew it was there, so I said to myself "let's have a good night sleep and this morning I'll figured it out".

Soooo, this morning I went and remove the temperature sensor to see if the computer could see it, and yes it throw a 0073 code so the sensor is there indeed. I put it back and start the Jeep and MERDE (sorry guys, i'm really &&&& at this point) all the reading in the EVIC are back to 0, everything except the current mileage. I know a grown-up man shouldn't cry, but I'm that close...

Sounds like the same problem we have with the ScanGauge: when the other bus takes command one loose everything. What should I do now? Would flashing the ECM helps?
I now have an almost useless EVIC that only show bearing and when I open doors :oops: and not even the darn temperature, which is what my wife was looking forward to have...

Help me guys!

'03 Lexus GS300 Sport Design/NAV/ML

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:24 am 
LOST Addict

I am terribly sorry. I should have added more details. Blast :(

If you have an 04 KJ or later get only a KJ EVIC from an 04 or later.

Sorry to say it so late.

Take a little look here as well:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liber ... d_Consoles

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liber ... al/PCI_Bus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:38 pm 
LOST Member

not your fault, dont worry. it's part of the joy/despair of playing with our toys
guess i'll try to sell it to a member owning an older model.
now i'll need to find a way to patch that hole :cry:

'03 Lexus GS300 Sport Design/NAV/ML

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:30 am 
LOST Newbie

gmctd wrote:
Premium options need reflash - dash indicators are for those base vehicles without the premium EVIC option

How do you reflash?

Front Tow Hooks, EVIC (in progress)
*Planned Upgrades: Hitch, Boulder Bars, A/T tires
I dream of a steel ARB winch bumper and a lift...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:23 pm 
LOST Member

I am trying to fit mine now, I cant get the A pillar grab handles off, they dont appear to be metric or imperial???? I have tried a 5mm too small, a 6mm too large. So ok no problem, so I try 3/16 & 1/4 still too small or too large. So whats the story, has Jeep manufactured its own size for A pillar grab handles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

palla wrote:
I am trying to fit mine now, I cant get the A pillar grab handles off, they dont appear to be metric or imperial???? I have tried a 5mm too small, a 6mm too large. So ok no problem, so I try 3/16 & 1/4 still too small or too large. So whats the story, has Jeep manufactured its own size for A pillar grab handles?

Mine had Torx screws (star shaped head).

Front Tow Hooks, EVIC (in progress)
*Planned Upgrades: Hitch, Boulder Bars, A/T tires
I dream of a steel ARB winch bumper and a lift...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:32 pm 
LOST Addict

palla wrote:

It's a torx T20 screw driver you need to remove those screws. Don't rape them, they don't like it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

palla wrote:

A bit late, but they're 5.5mm heads - and you'll need a deep well socket to reach the bottom one. In a pinch a 7/32" deep well socket should do. The only hang-up on mine was the wires on the light connector were different on my '06 and the console I bought. After spending way too much time trying to remove the pins from the couplers I gave up and cut and spliced to swap the center and left wires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:45 pm 
LOST Member

I used a 7/32 Nutdriver to fit the odd head (witch is 5.5563mm) Fit perfectly, and you probably already have one!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:37 am 
LOST Junkie

Uffe wrote:
I am terribly sorry. I should have added more details. Blast :(

If you have an 04 KJ or later get only a KJ EVIC from an 04 or later.

Sorry to say it so late.

Take a little look here as well:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liber ... d_Consoles

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liber ... al/PCI_Bus

I had a similar experience installing an EVIC on my 04 Liberty Sport (a gasser). Before I learned the importance of the model year I'd visit my local wrecking yards and buy any EVIC or OTIS I could lay my hands on. I finally found an EVIC from an 04 Liberty and now I'm quite pleased to say I can now see what direction I'm driving towards and the outside temperature. I also like the Homelink garage door opener feature. Now if only my garage was cleaned out :SOMBRERO:
Of course now I have a couple of EVIC's & and OTIS from other model years. I suppose I'll put them on eBay now.

Oh, one hint; don't get lazy and wire the BAT & IGN together to the battery. I did that and wound up draining my battery dead if I didn't start my Jeep every day.

Now to find an auto dimming rear-view mirror...

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject: Re: EVIC installation procedures with pics
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:54 am 
LOST Newbie

I realize that's an ancient thread, but any chance to get the image links working again?
I want to add EVIC to my KJ 03 sport and this guide could be super useful (if it only had the pics)

03 LIberty Sport
OME/Bilstein | top plate | clevis | 3"
245/75 Hankooks A/T
Mopar engine | tcase | gas tank skids
Tow | Sunroof | Fogs

Post subject: Re: EVIC installation procedures with pics
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi,
I recently bought an EVIC to install on my 06' CRD KJ.
Everything is running, except temp... (-- is displayed).
Ext temp sensor is already connected because it's a CRD, and I tryed to disconnect and that provided a P0073 obd err.
So I reconnected it, but nothing better on EVIC....

If someone have an idea....

Thanks.

:JEEPIN: