It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front End Vibrations
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:57 am 
LOST Member

Hey all,

I have noticed that recently I get a good vibration in the whole car when I sometimes turn the steering wheel from a parked position.

I also notice that when I reverse and full lock wheels it sounds like my tire is flat or its pulling to hard.

Other than new tires which it needs and alignment, could any other suspension parts cause this or need attention. What usually goes around 66 thousand miles .

Cheers

Chris

Post subject: Re: Front End Vibrations
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:39 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Can we assume:

No recent changes to the tires. Same ones as all along? And no recent changes to the suspension or differentials as well?

Also this
undrgnd wrote:
I also notice that when I reverse and full lock wheels it sounds like my tire is flat or its pulling to hard.

only happens when you REVERSE? Nothing similar happening moving forward?

What year/model are we considering?

.......... I hope someone is getting a different idea than I am ........

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:03 am 
LOST Member

Hi there

Yep same everything. It does happen going forward but not as bad as reverse from memory.

What's your idea??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:41 am 
LOST Addict

I have to admit, I'm a bit confused about that would be considered "a good vibration in the whole car". Any significant vibration is usually not a good thing. (yes I'm mostly joking there)

What frequency is it? Is it one you hear or one you feel? A humming? (high frequency) growling? (medium) drumming or thumping? (low frequency)

The fact that neither you nor anyone else have made any recent changes, eliminates several possible things that could cause symptoms sounding like you describe.

One remaining thing could be your outboard CV joints being badly grooved, but that doesn't tend to be something that would come on suddenly like you describe, unless the joints have been completely bootless in mud/gravel etc.

Besides that would not be something likely to cause a vibration, either good or bad, when standing still moving the wheel back and forth.

There may again be something unique to the crv liberty that I need to learn, but I can only think of 2 things that would be under stress and active, while turning the wheel standing parked, and turning the wheel to locked and moving that may cause vibration, and those are the steering pump and the steering gear. IF the serpentine belt tensioner were weak, is it possible for the belt to cause a bouncing / vibration effect through pump feedback?

Anything else I'm familiar with that would cause a vehicle to behave that way would involve bent sheet metal, bent suspension components, or a differential that failed locked, or new tires too big and meaty, and we've pretty much already eliminated those.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:50 am 
LOST Addict

:CAMPING: Waiting to see how wrong I am.. :POPCORN:

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:20 am 
LOST Addict

Maybe the transfer case is stuck in part-time 4wd?
That would create binding in the front axle making it hard to steer while on pavement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:02 am 
LOST Member

Lol sorry I was being a bit sarcastic and referencing the beach boys.

The vibration has gotten worse today. Its a medium grrrrl not thumping or humming but cause a descent vibration through the steering wheel and in the cabin. When I got home I pulled up to a complete stop with wheels turn 90 degrees as my drive way hooks left. Whilst sitting there with my foot on the brake and in drive no matter which way I turned the steering wheel it would vibrate.

My plan is to put it on Jacks this weekend and give it a real once over to me it feels like some rubber mount or suspension part is slowly failing. Especially when I turn the vehicle foward or reverse in full lock like out of the driveway. Its almost feels like when turning in full lock that the car will roll over the tyre (I hope that makes sense) and I think that's what's cause it to sound flat. Almost like the sidewalls are to soft now. Its very hard to explain.

I also noticed ages ago that my engine mount under the turbo ( drivers side down here) is missing the heat shield which would indicate thay it has been replaced but with the wrong side.. I have always had a slight rattle I could never solve and now that I have down 15 thousand kms on it am wondering if this is slowly deteriorating causing the excess vibration.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:32 am 
LOST Junkie

I'd put my money on u joints in the drive shaft being work oddly.. my truck thumped around oddly.. couldn't find it, then my shaft broke on the road.. rear u joint failed.

'05 Limited CRD Inferno Red Pearl Coat
Home made provent installed @ 35443, SEGR installed @ 35466, Fumoto valve @ 37500, trans and transfer case skid, In tank pump installed @ 43500, Suncoast TC & Transgo Shift Kit @ 44730, EGT, Boost, Trans temp gauges, Samco hoses, Rebuilt Trans w/ HD454RFE kit @ 56K, Inmotion Stage 2 @ 56K

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:13 am 
LOST Newbie

If its doing it while not moving I would think that motor and/or trans mounts would be the culprit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:21 am 
LOST Addict

That is SARCHASM :lol: The mental divide between someone who makes a good joke and the bloke who misses it entirely! :ALONE:

Well I hope it goes well for you this weekend, that you find the issue, and it's something not too expensive.

Heck, maybe it's just low power steering fluid! (we can hope). but don't forget to check suspension stuff like ball joints and control arm bushings too while you're there.

Anyway, have fun and let us know what you find.

Oh yeah, and check that your brake rotors aren't too groovy. :rockon:

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:11 am 
LOST Member

Hey all

Thanks for the replies. I did a bit of testing tonight and flash I think you are the winner!!

I think my car is stuck in part time 4wd. No light on the dash but I feel no difference between part time or 2wd. I assume you would notice a bit of a difference in the dry on the road. Can someone confirm this??

I also note that when I put it in lo 4wd brakes on and in drive, it starts vibrating like hell. The brakes struggle to keep the car parked. Although it doesn't drive off I can feeling it edging forwards. This them matches the vibration explained before but amplified.

Flash, how do u un stick the transfer case??

Thanks heaps all!!!

Edit...I also just had a quick look and my jeep dealer put dex3 in my car 5000 kms and not atf+4...I'm going to order some and drain out immediately..this wouldn't cause the issue would it?? It doesn't help it though I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:51 am 
LOST Addict

You should still check powersteering, bushings, mounts, etc.

If the vehicle were stuck in part-time 4wd, you would notice binding and difficulty making sharp low speed turns while on pavement.

If it is stuck in 4wd:
1. pull the lever up to full-time
2. slowly drive in reverse, pop transmission shifter into N, slam the t-case lever into 2wd, and slowly come to a stop.
3. repeat steps 1 and 2 while driving forward

The more you use the transfer case the better feel you will get for it and the less likely it will get stuck.
I always engage the transfer case while rolling in N.
This requires you to have advance knowledge (read the terrain) before engaging the t-case. If wait till you are fully stuck to engage part-time 4wd, you may not get full engagement.

edit:
Do you have some sort of locking front differential? Stock liberties never had that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:52 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks flash. I confirm its stuck as I tested it out this morning. It was binding up. I tried turning in a circle in 2wd and it was binding.

I will try your technique and see if it works. I will also inspect everything else this weekend.

No locking front diff added and it should be stock standard to the best of my knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:54 pm 
LOST Member

Question, can I drop the transmition fluid which is dex 3 to put in atf+4 without changings the filter???
Edit...filter as mentioned about was changed 5000 kms ago when u got my major service done.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:35 am 
LOST Member

Hey all. Didn't find the problem but today I think u fixed it by luck but still need your help.

On a tour at the moment and went on long stretch of gravel road. Decided to put it in full time 4x4 and after about 5 min I put it back in to 2wd and the vibration has gone. Been a couple of days now and the whole car feels better. Better throttle response and not sluggish anymore.

Does anyone know what happened to fix this. I'm thinking something in the transfer case?? Would be good to know for next time.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:04 am 
LOST Member

undrgnd wrote:
Hey all. Didn't find the problem but today I think u fixed it by luck but still need your help.

On a tour at the moment and went on long stretch of gravel road. Decided to put it in full time 4x4 and after about 5 min I put it back in to 2wd and the vibration has gone. Been a couple of days now and the whole car feels better. Better throttle response and not sluggish anymore.

Does anyone know what happened to fix this. I'm thinking something in the transfer case?? Would be good to know for next time.

Cheers

Chris

Mine used to jam in 4wd and drop back into 2wd on loose gravel. When I purchased the car it had odd size tires front and back. When I replaced all tires for same size problem solved.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:48 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for that. My tyres are all the same size and no change.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Perhaps the vibration of the gravel road helped move the shifting mechanism.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:43 am 
LOST Member

Hmmm perhaps...well the car has done really well the past 3 days. Great power for overtaking and awesome stability on the road. Other than my rattle when in drive (not in neutral) it's good as gold!! Thanks crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:00 am 
LOST Member

So I had a similar problem where I could not get out of 4wd. I found going into reverse after putting it in 2wd and backing up a significant distance would help to get it out of 4wd.

I would definitely change the transfer case fluid.

Over the long term I had issues getting it into and out of 4wd (particularly full time). The selec-trac is known to be very sensitive to non alignment (air tire pressure differences, etc). What finally fixed it was when I changed out the cv axles (the driver's side was bad). Since then I have not had any issues. I still back up after I disengage to be safe.