It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 Jeep Liberty strut assembly 2 inch bds lift
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good evening everyone, I am trying to assemble a strut but I seem to be doing something wrong. I compress the spring, put the shock rubber piece, add the new plate and then the top rubber piece for the shock but when I have no threads left for the nut... what am I doing wrong here? Shocks are rancho rs5764. Please help
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: 2006 Jeep Liberty strut assembly 2 inch bds lift
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok fixed it. The shaft rubber pieces needed to be forced very hard more down the shaft. All good. Will put pictures of the jeep when it's all done in a couple of weeks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:52 pm 
LOST Member

Glad you fixed it, a word of warning though, i put those same ranchos on an ome lift a year and change ago and they are already worn out... with a 3mile commute and various road trips im only about 5k miles into them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok good to know.... guess I will get the bilstein next time but sure is a pain to assemble. Hoping this weekend to install the lift

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:59 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

marcos wrote:
Ok good to know.... guess I will get the bilstein next time but sure is a pain to assemble. Hoping this weekend to install the lift

There is not enough money for me to even try and use spring compressors on KJ aftermarket springs
Next time take them to a shop, your head will Thank you
And yes Bilstien or OME

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good evening, right after work this morning started installing the lift. After 5 hours I was still trying to install the lower jolt in the "fork" metal piece. Was not able by end of day so put back the old strut for now.... the new strut is 2 inches longer. I also added 1/4 inch conduit nuts for an additional 1/2 inch lift so total would be 2.5 inches. Any ideas? Removed sterring ball joint, lower and upper joints and also removed the sway bar joint.... don't know what else to do......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:17 pm 

marcos wrote:
Good evening, right after work this morning started installing the lift. After 5 hours I was still trying to install the lower jolt in the "fork" metal piece. Was not able by end of day so put back the old strut for now.... the new strut is 2 inches longer. I also added 1/4 inch conduit nuts for an additional 1/2 inch lift so total would be 2.5 inches. Any ideas? Removed sterring ball joint, lower and upper joints and also removed the sway bar joint.... don't know what else to do......

You're making it way harder than need be
You have the UCA/Ball joint off right?
Plus the tie rod end and sway bar link?
I also remove the caliper just for ease
Put the top up in, start two nuts down on, not tight just loose
Now slide the clevis up on the bottom
align it
use two ratchet straps, one on each leg to pull it into place
That is about all there is to it
front should only take a couple of hours max

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:27 am 
LOST Newbie

It just seems the clevis leg hole for the bolt is about 3/4 inch lower then the hole on the lower arm.... Where would you attach the straps to pull the clevis into place ( if I can figure out a way to align the bolt hole)? By the way it took me about 45 min to put back the old strut and tighten everything.... just need to figure out this clevis bolt thing.... maybe 2 pipes nuts added to the strut for the xtra lift is to much????

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:00 pm 

marcos wrote:
It just seems the clevis leg hole for the bolt is about 3/4 inch lower then the hole on the lower arm.... Where would you attach the straps to pull the clevis into place ( if I can figure out a way to align the bolt hole)? By the way it took me about 45 min to put back the old strut and tighten everything.... just need to figure out this clevis bolt thing.... maybe 2 pipes nuts added to the strut for the xtra lift is to much????

Its the coil spring that is holding the shock fully extended
Put the hook from the ratchet strap towards the bottom of the "leg" of the clevis.
Attach other end to something on the other side.
You don't have too much by adding in the " conduit nuts" Trust me I've added way more than you have there before and pulled them in by my self with no issues.
The , what you are calling struts , are not any longer than stock , just the way the BDS top plate makes the shocks look.
Ive installed a couple of BDS lifts and no different then Ironman or OME

But use ratchet straps they'll pull right in

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Great to hear. Guess the ratchet will force the lower control arm to go even lower so the bolt can be put on. K will try that by end of week. Snowing here today :) thx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:56 am 
LOST Member

With the ratchet strap pulling it towards the centre of the jeep, you can also force the control arm down with your knee or a buddy's help to get the clevis holes lined up. Good luck, you are almost there!

OME 927/Ironman, 1/4" plate, 3-ring clevis 21.5"
OME 948/OME + 2 Iso's Rear 22"
JBA UCAs
Bumper and winch
2x5 rockers/steps
Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded
Custom pinstriping
Custom rear interior shelf
SS drop table
Soon:
Rear bumper
WRX seats
All the skids

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey everyone. Sorry for the delay but decided to wait until July to do the work as I had quite a few pieces to refresh on the jeep. Will be posting some pics of the end result. Basically:

1. Changed upper control arms to moog branded parts. The drivers side is a pain to remove the back bolt but in the end.... done
2. Changed lower ball joints with also moog parts. Nice ball joints I must say. No issues to remove, lots of pounding though....
3. Changed both front wheel bearing. Used Timken brand parts. Not an issue to remove and replace.

For the BDS 2 inch lift, I tried again with the strap but I really could not figure out out to align that spring/shock to the lower arm.... after almost a full day of playing with this I had a 4x4 shop not to far from where I am do it. I also added an additional upper rear isolator (2 in total) and 3 pipe nuts of an additional half inch lift. 2.5 inches of lift looks great but I do have an issue after driving the jeep for a couple of days

I can hear a grinding sound coming from under the jeep when working a bit the suspension so it has to do with moving parts. The shop inspected the work they did and all is great from their end. I did have a blown cv shaft boot (rubber was old and easily cracked) but they could not replicate the issue. Boot was replaced and cv shaft inspected. That say the angle of the shaft with the lift is not an issue.

Possibilities: I think it could be the rear upper control arm (v shaped). It is the original I believe. I get this noise when going into a shopping Center parking lot at an angle at about 20-30 km/hr or 15-20 mph, the bump from the sidewalk and the suspension working could possibly work that old control arm.... I still thing the grinding noise could be something else but not sure. It is metal to metal though...
I also got the noise when going through a road with " wave pattern" (up and down) on the asphalt. After the third up/down, the noise came back to a second.

Any ideas I could look at?

I ordered a napa rear upper control arm and will be installing it next week.

Will also be installing All terrain tires 245-70-17. Not sure if the pinch weld will need to be done .... hope not....

Thank you everyone. Pics to come in a few days. [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:32 pm 

marcos wrote:
Hey everyone. Sorry for the delay but decided to wait until July to do the work as I had quite a few pieces to refresh on the jeep. Will be posting some pics of the end result. Basically:

1. Changed upper control arms to moog branded parts. The drivers side is a pain to remove the back bolt but in the end.... done

With the lift you should of went with the JBA UCAs you may have a bit of spring/ UCA contact depending on final height

2. Changed lower ball joints with also moog parts. Nice ball joints I must say. No issues to remove, lots of pounding though....
3. Changed both front wheel bearing. Used Timken brand parts. Not an issue to remove and replace.

For the BDS 2 inch lift, I tried again with the strap but I really could not figure out out to align that spring/shock to the lower arm.... after almost a full day of playing with this I had a 4x4 shop not to far from where I am do it. I also added an additional upper rear isolator (2 in total) and 3 pipe nuts of an additional half inch lift. 2.5 inches of lift looks great but I do have an issue after driving the jeep for a couple of days

So only 2.5 inches of lift even with 3/8 inch of clevis ??

I can hear a grinding sound coming from under the jeep when working a bit the suspension so it has to do with moving parts. The shop inspected the work they did and all is great from their end. I did have a blown cv shaft boot (rubber was old and easily cracked) but they could not replicate the issue. Boot was replaced and cv shaft inspected. That say the angle of the shaft with the lift is not an issue.
Check the front driveshaft rear CV it maybe bad, rear tri-link would not produce a grinding sound, also check rear u-joints

Possibilities: I think it could be the rear upper control arm (v shaped). It is the original I believe. I get this noise when going into a shopping Center parking lot at an angle at about 20-30 km/hr or 15-20 mph, the bump from the sidewalk and the suspension working could possibly work that old control arm.... I still thing the grinding noise could be something else but not sure. It is metal to metal though...
I also got the noise when going through a road with " wave pattern" (up and down) on the asphalt. After the third up/down, the noise came back to a second.

Any ideas I could look at?

I ordered a napa rear upper control arm and will be installing it next week.

RETURN it and buy MOPAR, last longer

Will also be installing All terrain tires 245-70-17. Not sure if the pinch weld will need to be done .... hope not....

Depending on tire manufacturer / tread design etc you may or may not have to do pinch weld
, you do realize a 245-70-16 is smaller than what you want to run ( 245-70-17 at 30.6 inches )

Thank you everyone. Pics to come in a few days. [WINKING FACE]

Some things to check/ do/ think about

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:53 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the reply [WINKING FACE]. The upper link in the back is out of price at the dealer. The dealer wants 659$.
Will check the rear u joints. That is my next thing to check Monday. The 2 inch lift plus the Clevis lift gave me a bit more than 2.5 taking in consideration the old sagging springs. I think I measured close to 3 inches.

Thx again

Marcos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good afternoon, ok another update :). Checked driveshafts, front and rear and also checked front cv shafts, all looks good.... even brought the jeep to my mechanic and he confirms no issues for that. I changed the rear upper trilink arm. Jeep does feel more planted in the rear. Less of a bottoming out feeling ( sounds stupid I must say but it's the best I can explain it :) ). Will test he suspension for the grinding noise again tonight when I go to work and will report back... now need to find some tires..... for he pics to come

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Im curious to know as well what part is causing that front end noise . Im about to lift my 07 libbey so this is all good info. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm 

808koah858 wrote:
Im curious to know as well what part is causing that front end noise . Im about to lift my 07 libbey so this is all good info. Good luck!

99% of the time there is no noise issues at all
Had one but it was due to " teaching " an owner how to install a lift and he left two bolts loose.
Thats all the noise issues we've had here and a bunch of KJ lifts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well I have an update.... went to work tonight after changing the rear upper control arm and I have good news. I tested the jeep on the same wavy road I had the " grinding or metal to metal noise " and all I could hear was very slight "tic...tic" as the suspension flexed on the bumps. The grinding sound seems to be gone besides that slight sound. I know it will be hard to get the noises to be like no lift was done so I am very happy on that end. I tested the jeep at about 32-33 mph. I will redo the exercise this morning when I leave work and will go slightly faster then to about 40 mph. Thanks everyone for the help. Will do a last update this morning and once I get some tires under the jeep will post some pics.

I guess the ball joint from the rear upper control arm was about to be gone with the slight angle increase as it was an original piece with 105000 miles

More to come soon.

Marcos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Tried the same road again this morning on my way home, no issues so this noise might actually be history!!!!!.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:41 am 
LOST Newbie

***** updated *****

Here are some measurements after the lift and a week of driving: running 225-75-16 for now. from Center of wheel to lower of flares
Front driver side 21 3/8
Front passenger side 21 5/8
Rear driver side 22 1/4
Rear passenger side 22 3/8

Bottom of jeep at transmission transfer case support bar to ground: 12 1/8 (with updated tires should reach 13

For tires, I checked the space I have left front and back of the tire:
Front tire thread to front plastic: 1.5 inch
Rear tire thread to pinch weld piece: 1.5 inch

So if I increase the tire size and leave about 3/4 of an inch each side, 245/70/17's should fit nicely and no pounding required of the pinch weld....

Updated with khumo road venture at51 LT245-70-17 and another 200 miles.

Front driver side 21 1/2
Front passenger side 21 3/4
Rear driver side 21 5/8 must have measured wrong before
Rear passenger side 21 7/8 must have measured wrong before

Front tire thread to front plastic: 0.75 inch
Rear tire thread to pinch weld piece: 5/8 of an inch

Bottom of jeep at transm/transfer case support to ground: 12.75 inch
Bottom of jeep front crossmember under engine/ susp: 11 1/8 inches

Thx

Marcos