It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO: Remove Dash/Instrument Panel (Heater Core)
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:55 pm 
LOST Member

I haven't seen a full one of these on here yet and my blend doors decided to explode. Luckily my KK is no longer my DD (wooo Challenger) so I can take my time and write this up as I go along. I'll upload some pictures as well after I mark them up. This is definitely a two day project unless you have a helper.

First things first, DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY AND WAIT AT LEAST 15 MIN. This is the most important step so you don't have an airbag break your face.

NOTE: Because of Chrysler's brilliant wiring engineers, you will either have to remove the whole harness from the dash (what I did) or undo the takeout that goes through the firewall and unplug the rt ft ABS sensor and rt ft crash sensor then pull the whole harness back through

Next, you can follow these four how to's:
Center Dash Bezel (around radio) removal - Diggerfreek - viewtopic.php?f=104&t=36253

Dashboard removal (follow all steps) - Diggerfreek - viewtopic.php?f=104&t=29455

Passenger Dash removal (follow all steps) - Diggerfreek - viewtopic.php?f=104&t=48356

Center Console removal - Diggerfreek - viewtopic.php?f=104&t=29901

Then, you'll need to remove the sill trim panels on both sides. There are two clips that need to be pulled up, and one towards the front that needs to be pulled inboard. The panel also needs to be pulled forward as it shingles over the B pillar trim.

Remove the steering column shroud.

Remove the Driver airbag (DO NOT SET THIS DOWN ON ITS FACE, ALWAYS SET THE BACK END DOWN)

Remove the steering wheel

Remove the steering column harness and the key/shift interlock

Remove the steering column, unbolting the coupler bolt and four bolts that hold the column in.

From under the hood, loosen the 6 bolts that hold the booster bracket to the pedal bracket (Not 100% sure, will have to wait til i do it)

Remove the four bolts and the bracket under the center of the dash, as well as the two bolts behind the center stack.

Remove the two bolts behind the glovebox and one on the right side bracket. Also remove the bolt from the left side bracket

Remove the 4 bolts up top

Once that is all done, the IP can be pulled up and forward. The pedal/steering bracket will have to be tipped to get the IP off. Before getting it too far out, remove the harness clips from the IP structure. To remove from vehicle, its easiest with a helper, however I did it alone by sitting in the drivers seat and pulling forward as I pushed the IP out the driver door. Watch the side brackets as they will scratch. I wrapped mine in tape.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Remove Dash/Instrument Panel (Heater Core)
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Awesome job, ajohns1288!

I love the last photo you posted in the "what have I done to my KK today" thread:

ajohns1288 wrote:

Got to take my dash apart since the mode door for the HVAC jammed up. :furious: Even worse is the idiot that designed the dash harness decided to put a takeout for the rt ft ABS sensor and rt ft crash sensor on it that goes through the firewall up into the engine bay so it was either disconnect those two and the HVAC wiring or pull the harness off of the dash.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:35 am 
LOST Member

I just did this last weekend and wanted to add to it. There are two additional bolts and two additional nuts that need to be removed before the dash can be pulled. There are two bolts behind the climate control bezel

And two nuts near the steering column bracket

After that pull the dash/disconnect the stupid wire harness (I used masking tape to label the wires and which holes they were pulled through).

In order to get to the heater core there are three clips and several T20 screws that need to be removed. Remove the three clips and then the first two screws are on the right side of the air box where the heater core tubes are

One on the left side of the air box

And one up near where the heater core tubes go through the firewall (upper right hand corner of the pic)

I didn't get pics of removing the heater core from the air box, but if you made it this far you should be able to unscrew the T20 screws and slide it out. Install is the reverse

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

'08, OME HD/MD coils, Ironman shocks, Al's A-arms, Top plates, ATH front recovery, V-Tec Offroad wheels 17x8.5, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's 265/65R17, Jasper Offroad 12" Dual LED lightbar, Mopar hitch and harness, RRO roof rails and cross bars, Viper throttle body, K&N FIPK, Hypertech Max Energy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Great details, huntb. I hope I never need to replace the heater core but if I do I'm coming here to this thread.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Exactly why must a new steering wheel retaining bolt be used and not just locktite reapplied?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:44 pm 
LOST Member

Dixie14 wrote:
Exactly why must a new steering wheel retaining bolt be used and not just locktite reapplied?

You could probably get away with that since that's the only difference I noticed, however the service manual calls for a new bolt so that's why I emphasized it. My guess is they didn't want to rely on the liability of a technician forgetting so a new bolt it the official way.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm trying to replace the evaporator and it is supposedly somewhere along the firewall behind the dash. I have done everything explained in this thread except remove the steering wheel. Is that the only thing holding the dash in place or is there bolts somewhere along the firewall? It seems pretty stubborn and doesn't want to come out.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm starting the heater core job today!! Is there anything that you guys know that wasnt listed on here ??