It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PowerGate Programmer Question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello All,

So I've read about all the Italian I can take for the last few days trying to get an idea of how this PowerGate By Alientech Programmer works. It's clearly ancient in terms of computer time, and even though I get the drivers installed on my Windows 7 x86_64 PC, the PWPro software will only connect long enough to change the picture on the device to a PC looking icon, and then throw a timeout error.

Does anybody know how to get it to work? I'd like to see if it has datalogging capabilities (with laptop, etc), etc, and I'd also like to know how to use it in case I need to do anything with the current tune on my CRD.

I appreciate any help.

-Chance

05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs --Stolen from papaindigo

Post subject: Re: PowerGate Programmer Question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:52 pm 
LOST Addict

I have no clue what any of that stuff is.
Maybe try to contact Yeti.

IMO, the easiest and most cost effective setup for sensor data is:
Android phone/tablet + ELM327 OBD bluetooth adapter + torquepro app

And the folks writing ECM tunes are using ECM Titanium or WinOLS.

Reading/writing ECM tunes is done with MPPS 13.02

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

It looks like this, and is supposed to be what GDE does their tunes with. The CRD I bought came with it, and I'm trying to get acquainted with it in case I ever need it. I may be changing to 5v Bosch glowplugs depending on how this beast behaves in the cold weather, and will probably need to change the tune.

http://www.tuningtools.co.uk/alientech- ... ation.html

05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs --Stolen from papaindigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:04 am 
LOST Addict

The Alientech flash tool will only read/write tuning files and read/clean engine codes. It will not monitor live data like you are looking to do. The tool is encrypted to make it very difficult to people to steal the GDE tune and sell it as their own. We have had many folks try to do this by the way.

Since the 1's and 0's cannot be copy write protected, we like to embed the GDE name in the tune. In this manner, we have a good case as some one would be selling our name at that point, which can be protected in the courts.

When you want to change the glow plug voltage, we charge $50 to change the tune for that. Just call us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:56 am 
LOST Newbie

I know what you charge, but without putting the tuner on my PC, how will I get the tune from the computer to the tuner so it can be put on the Jeep? I did find your support section for the tuner, and am going to try the GDE program. It's weird since my tuner says AlienTech on it, and not GDE, I wasn't sure if it was the same as the one on your site.

Either way, it seems to be starting fine in the 20F range, so this is all speculation on something I "might" do in the future.

Thanks for the reply though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:21 pm 
LOST Addict

You will want to email us requesting the instructions for that tool, it is 6 years old now and was the first one we used. We can email you instructions for it and the software for the pc.

That tool is still encrypted and needs our old decoder to work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:59 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
I have no clue what any of that stuff is.
Maybe try to contact Yeti.

IMO, the easiest and most cost effective setup for sensor data is:
Android phone/tablet + ELM327 OBD bluetooth adapter + torquepro app

And the folks writing ECM tunes are using ECM Titanium or WinOLS.

Reading/writing ECM tunes is done with MPPS 13.02

I am looking for a obd2 bluetooth adapter. Why does every mention on this site always say android and not iPhone? Does the android app have more functionality than the iPhone app?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:55 pm 
LOST Addict

There are OBD apps for iphone.
Do your research and figure out which OBD adapter and app works best for you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:13 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
There are OBD apps for iphone.
Do your research and figure out which OBD adapter and app works best for you.

Doesn't answer my question. Several mentions in several threads call out torque pro and android together. Torque pro also has an app for iPhone. Is the iPhone app just as functional as the android app? I ask because every mention of torque pro mentions android. Is it an ad for android or what? Do I need to buy an android device?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:59 pm 
LOST Addict

I cant find a TorquePro app for iphone. But there are other apps for iphone.
I think Engine Link is popular.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:15 pm 
LOST Member

I've read somewhere that Bluetooth OBD II adapters don't work with iPhones due to limitations imposed by Apple; I believe you need to get a WiFi OBD II adapter in order to use it with an iPhone. I don't have an iPhone though, so I haven't tested that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:47 pm 
LOST Member

So.......it sounds like android is the way to go but nobody will come right out and say it. Thanks for the info

Post subject: PowerGate Programmer Question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:16 pm 
LOST Addict

npkdm wrote:
So.......it sounds like android is the way to go but nobody will come right out and say it. Thanks for the info

That was implied by everyone recommending android+torque.

The issue is that apple locks down the iPhone and doesn't allow Bluetooth obd connections. There are wifi modules that will work, but then you still don't have a decent app on iPhone. The torque app I found on iPhone appears to just be a rip off of the android version with a similar name and logo.

My company recently forced me to switch to iPhone for "security" reasons and so far the experience has been less than good.