It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide: Thank You !!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sam the Man
Best resource i have ever found when i needed one.
Thanks to you and all the others that make this the place to go for our CRDs
no more :google: ing

Brian H
Boise
2005 CRD Limited - Mods EGR eliminated, Carter intank lift pump, GM Fan w/hd clutch....looking forward to more.

Sad as it is, pain has always been the best teacher.

Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide: posting an avatar -from a noob
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

anybody been thru this used google one drive as URL address but system response "not valid address"
My Bad
That is the response when trying to post an avatar.
on a separate note the very useful pics posted in the discussions only show a place holder
not the Image, do I need to tweak a setting?
Use IE primarily, but tried in Chrome. Different browser?

Brian H
Boise
2005 CRD Limited - Mods EGR eliminated, Carter intank lift pump, GM Fan w/hd clutch....looking forward to more.

Sad as it is, pain has always been the best teacher.

Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello guys,

Owned my 08 CRD for almost 6 months now, love it to. It's, the car gives a nice shunt/bang when on the motorway and go back onto the gas, so if anyone has any idea that would be ideal, I'm hoping to get the CRD booked in to have the transmition fluid changed very soon. The fuel filter has been changed recently, I brought a new air filter but the one already installed is in good condition, I'm looking to clean the MAP sensor and the MAF sensor. Am I correct in thinking the picture of the engine bay is from a pre 08 CRD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Dazzler25 wrote:
Hello guys,

Owned my 08 CRD for almost 6 months now, love it to. It's, the car gives a nice shunt/bang when on the motorway and go back onto the gas, so if anyone has any idea that would be ideal, I'm hoping to get the CRD booked in to have the transmition fluid changed very soon. The fuel filter has been changed recently, I brought a new air filter but the one already installed is in good condition, I'm looking to clean the MAP sensor and the MAF sensor. Am I correct in thinking the picture of the engine bay is from a pre 08 CRD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Most of us here are from the US which means we only had the CRD from 2005-2006 in the KJ body. Your vehicle is a KK and while the engine is the same family it is newer and some things are different.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'm in England, and I have the 05 CRD. I'd agree that yours is likely to be a KK model (if the range selector is a dial rather than a lever its a KK). From your brief description, it sounds like a transmission issue; may need replacement filters and fluid. I believe its an RFE 545 same as the KJ.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:14 am 
LOST Newbie

great stuff on this here LOST forum

waking up my newly purchased '06, already running a lot better with a clean MAP sensor, ORM and re-routed CCV hose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Potential owner of a CRD. Thanks for putting this thread together. I have a lot of reading to do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hate to tell you this Sam, a lot of good info is this thread. But the EHM suggestion without a full warning needs to be added.

Another Noob blew his crank seal.

arasb wrote:
Yup, just blew my main seal this morning because of a clogged EHM. Been running an EHM for years with no issues, but I decided to make the hose longer to dump the fumes behind the vehicle instead of from the side. Then... one cold day is all it took... What to do now, sell the rig or fix the main seal....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:03 am 

:o

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam A bunch of years ago wrote:
For those veterans out there if you have a suggestion, correction, general grievance, fan mail, hate mail, or wish to recommend some links to be added for various topics please PM me rather than clutter up the thread.

WWDiesel wrote:
flman wrote:
Hate to tell you this Sam, a lot of good info is this thread. But the EHM suggestion without a full warning needs to be added.
Another Noob blew his crank seal.
arasb wrote:
Yup, just blew my main seal this morning because of a clogged EHM. Been running an EHM for years with no issues, but I decided to make the hose longer to dump the fumes behind the vehicle instead of from the side. Then... one cold day is all it took... What to do now, sell the rig or fix the main seal....

I agree!
Yes Sam, please by all means edit or remove the EHM mod information in the NOOB Guide to reflect what we now know can be a detrimental modification with disastrous consequences! :roll:
Installing a coalescing type filter like the Provent could be put in its place as a recommendation... :idea:

Information on both was side by side.

Topics talking about the merits and demerits were added 4 years ago at your request. I've added yet another link and a giant warning. Will you two drop the vendetta yet?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:04 pm 

Sir Sam wrote:
Information on both was side by side.
Topics talking about the merits and demerits were added 4 years ago at your request. I've added yet another link and a giant warning. Will you two drop the vendetta yet?

Sorry, I was just trying to be helpful...I deleted the post!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Sam! :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:27 am 
LOST Newbie

The first couple of pics in the Noob Guide show the location of the MAP sensor, on top of the manifold near the rear of the engine compartment. But scroll down to linewarbr's post, and that MAP sensor bolts onto the engine side of the air intake box cover, just above the air filter (to the right of the MAF sensor, hidden in the photo just below the aluminum A/C line). When I bought a MAP sensor at O'Reilly, the only one in their database was the one that bolts into the air intake hood. If that's the MAP sensor, then what is the sensor on top of the manifold, shown in those first photos?

:?:

Current: 2006 Liberty CRD Sport (SunCoast TC, GDE EcoTune, SAMCO hoses, Fumoto oil drain valve), 1998 Wrangler Sport (2.4L, 2" lift, winch)
Previous: '43 Willys, '75 CJ-5, '82 Wagoneer Limited, '94 Wrangler Renegade, '96 Cherokee

Last edited by jlg89 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:50 pm 

The sensor on top of the intake/valve cover at the rear of the engine is the MAP sensor for the diesel engine! There is no other.
The IAP sensor on the inlet side of the air cleaner housing is commonly referred to as the "Mercedes Sensor". It is located in front of the MAF sensor as you described.

These are the part numbers for the MAP sensor:
Mopar number: 68031593AA
Bosch number: 0281002437 or 0281002845

Many of us on LOST including myself use the GM MAP sensor due to its much lower cost (~$20):
GM number: 55206797

IAP sensor - 05101120AB (pressure sensor on side of airbox)
air inlet air pressure comparator pressure sensor on the side of the air box; referred as the Mercedes sensor.

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:36 pm 
LOST Member

To sort of reiterate what WWDiesel said... the MAP and MAF sensors are often confused in these threads. The MAP is the thing at the back of the engine compartment that says "Bosch" and needs to be cleaned when you get your vehicle because it's full of oil and soot (it'll be crusted with gunk). They actually make specific cleaner that comes in a spray can, but to add to the confusion, it's called MAF cleaner. :?

The thing on the Airbox can (should) be unplugged to stop recirculating soot through the motor (though it will cause your check engine light to come on); it's a good thing to do until you can mod your vehicle's computer (to stop recirculating soot) and possibly modify the ERG system physically (depending on how savvy/observant your local diesel emissions people are). The soot will trash your rockers (will cause them to fail).

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:41 am 
LOST Newbie

kidjedi wrote:
To sort of reiterate what WWDiesel said... the MAP and MAF sensors are often confused in these threads. The MAP is the thing at the back of the engine compartment that says "Bosch" and needs to be cleaned when you get your vehicle because it's full of oil and soot (it'll be crusted with gunk). They actually make specific cleaner that comes in a spray can, but to add to the confusion, it's called MAF cleaner. :?

The thing on the Airbox can (should) be unplugged to stop recirculating soot through the motor (though it will cause your check engine light to come on); it's a good thing to do until you can mod your vehicle's computer (to stop recirculating soot) and possibly modify the ERG system physically (depending on how savvy/observant your local diesel emissions people are). The soot will trash your rockers (will cause them to fail).

I'm not talking about the MAF sensor, which is labeled in the photo in the original post. I'm talking about the sensor on the side of the airbox cover, which has now been ID'd by WWDiesel as the IAP sensor. I've added a pic to my post, for clarity. The IAP sensor is neither visible nor labeled in the original post. AND...if you ask O'Reilly for a MAP sensor, they may sell you the IAP sensor instead. Happened to me, just this week. :roll:

I have the Green Diesel controller mod, so my MAF sensor remains connected.

Current: 2006 Liberty CRD Sport (SunCoast TC, GDE EcoTune, SAMCO hoses, Fumoto oil drain valve), 1998 Wrangler Sport (2.4L, 2" lift, winch)
Previous: '43 Willys, '75 CJ-5, '82 Wagoneer Limited, '94 Wrangler Renegade, '96 Cherokee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here are some pics from my first MAP sensor cleaning procedure (the linked thread in the original post is 10 years old and the pics no longer appear). If you haven't already read through the original post in this thread, do that first!

On my 2006, the MAP sensor is held in place by a single T25 Torx bolt. To gain access to the bolt, I lifted the plastic wiring harness rack off of its mounting studs and moved the whole rig toward the front of the engine. It doesn't take much.

Here's the dirty MAP sensor. This is at 150k miles, but I did the Green Diesel upgrade at ~115k when I originally bought the vehicle. No telling how long it's been clogged like this.

I used PBlaster and a toothbrush to clean the gunk out of the sensor. Here's what it looks like (relatively) clean.

And here's a shot of the label, for cross-referencing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:12 pm 
LOST Addict

jlg89 wrote:
kidjedi wrote:

I'm not talking about the MAF sensor, which is labeled in the photo in the original post. I'm talking about the sensor on the side of the airbox cover, which has now been ID'd by WWDiesel as the IAP sensor. I've added a pic to my post, for clarity. The IAP sensor is neither visible nor labeled in the original post. AND...if you ask O'Reilly for a MAP sensor, they may sell you the IAP sensor instead. Happened to me, just this week. :roll:

You are right, the IAP, or Mercedes sensor, is not called out in the pictures in my first post. It wouldn't hurt to add to the picture. To understand the context of why its not called out you need to realize that identifying the sensors was more about directing people for the information on what they needed to do to disable the EGR(unplug MAF), and to clean the MAP.

There are additional sensors on the engine that its helpful to know where they are located, and a diagram for that would help. I could do a nice video walkaround, but I would have to find the time to get out and take a video.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:55 pm 

Sir Sam wrote:
jlg89 wrote:
kidjedi wrote:
To sort of reiterate what WWDiesel said... the MAP and MAF sensors are often confused in these threads. The MAP is the thing at the back of the engine compartment that says "Bosch" and needs to be cleaned when you get your vehicle because it's full of oil and soot (it'll be crusted with gunk). They actually make specific cleaner that comes in a spray can, but to add to the confusion, it's called MAF cleaner. :? .

You are right, the IAP, or Mercedes sensor, is not called out in the pictures in my first post. It wouldn't hurt to add to the picture. To understand the context of why its not called out you need to realize that identifying the sensors was more about directing people for the information on what they needed to do to disable the EGR(unplug MAF), and to clean the MAP.
There are additional sensors on the engine that its helpful to know where they are located, and a diagram for that would help. I could do a nice video walkaround, but I would have to find the time to get out and take a video.

These are some pictures of the IAP & MAF Sensors I have on file for reference!
Image Image Image

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next