It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:50 pm 

steeler8643 wrote:
Thanks Flash....Ive been locked out of the forum for about 24 hours for some reason. I took the sensor out and cleaned it.....all there was was oil on it.....i put it back and got it in there nice and tight.....I will try wiggling the connection after work today....so far no p0340 code. Bob

LOST site was down, I do not think anyone could access it! Guess it just came back online! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:05 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
You can also try wiggling the connector on the cam sensor while the engine is running at idle. If the engine sputters, stumbles, or dies then the problem is the connector.
I'm not sure if that actually is the case; it may only be used for starting. According to the service manual, the engine will continue to run if the camshaft position sensor signal is lost, but will not restart after the vehicle is shut off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:45 am 
LOST Newbie

It started June last year on a trip to the Kruger National Park, South Africa. We stopped at one of the rest camps and the Jeep started normally. After a couple of km's the engine refused to pick up revs and there was no power (as if in limp mode). We limped to our camp site and I checked for air in fuel filter and drained in case of water in fuel. No fault codes or engine lights came on. Next morning the engine ran normally, so I thought it was probably air in fuel. When we got back home I started going through LOST posts and saw that the CPS could be at fault. I waited for the fault to recur and one Sunday morning the same thing happened again, (no fault codes, no engine lights). Replaced CPS and the Jeep has been behaving since then.

Susp:Ironman Coils, Shocks new bushes and ball joints
Therm: Replaced
EGR: Cleaned, re-installed
CCV Catch Can
MAP sensor: Cleaned
Injectors: Repl
Alt pulley: Repl
Serp Belt: Repl
Crank Pos Sens: Replaced
T/B & W/P: Repl @ 200k Km
Repl Cer GP with Etechno 7V GP 212k Km
Repl CCV

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:56 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
steeler8643 wrote:
Thanks Flash....Ive been locked out of the forum for about 24 hours for some reason. I took the sensor out and cleaned it.....all there was was oil on it.....i put it back and got it in there nice and tight.....I will try wiggling the connection after work today....so far no p0340 code. Bob

LOST site was down, I do not think anyone could access it! Guess it just came back online! :roll:

Its been a week now and the p0340 code has not come back so it looks like im in good shape there.....now i need to concentrate on my hard shifting tranny and non working fuel guage

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi, I've just bought a Cherokee CRD 2.8 2003 model and I had the same fault code so I replaced the censor with a genuine new part and the cleared the code.
I took it for a test drive for around 30 miles and all was fine, next morning went for another drive and all was fine.
So after being home for about an hour I had to go out for a planed 300 mile drive, started up set off and got about 200 yards and the engine died so i had to abandon it on the grass verge and carry on in another vehicle.
After the weekend I tried to restart but nothing was happening so I plugged in my scanner and the code was back again but as soon as I deleted it the engine restarted.
Next morning the same thing but i had got about a mile, plugged in the scanner cleared the code and it started and off i went to work, I'm now waiting for a new crankshaft censor to see if that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 am 
LOST Newbie

AndyD1967 wrote:
Hi, I've just bought a Cherokee CRD 2.8 2003 model and I had the same fault code so I replaced the censor with a genuine new part and the cleared the code.
I took it for a test drive for around 30 miles and all was fine, next morning went for another drive and all was fine.
So after being home for about an hour I had to go out for a planed 300 mile drive, started up set off and got about 200 yards and the engine died so i had to abandon it on the grass verge and carry on in another vehicle.
After the weekend I tried to restart but nothing was happening so I plugged in my scanner and the code was back again but as soon as I deleted it the engine restarted.
Next morning the same thing but i had got about a mile, plugged in the scanner cleared the code and it started and off i went to work, I'm now waiting for a new crankshaft censor to see if that helps.

Mine still hasn't come back since i cleaned it and tightened the bolt. Even when i would get the code the engine never shut down on me. Just lucky i guess, considering i drove it from Buffalo NY to Florida before i found out it had the 340 code!! You probably already did this but you might wanna check the wiring.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine Finally gave up right in the middle of a roundabout in rush hour, had to get recovered to work were i fitted a new crankshaft censor.
its now running again fingers crossed its sorted.
Forgot to mention I had the same fault code when i plugged my scanner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

AndyD1967 wrote:
Mine Finally gave up right in the middle of a roundabout in rush hour, had to get recovered to work were i fitted a new crankshaft censor.

Im not sure if you are making the same mistake i did but just to be clear.....the P0340 code is for the CAMshaft sensor which is located at the top, rear of the engine on passenger side (in the USA). I kept thinking and saying Crankshaft Sensor which is on the side of the block on the passenger side. Hope this helps.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

steeler8643 wrote:
AndyD1967 wrote:

Im not sure if you are making the same mistake i did but just to be clear.....the P0340 code is for the CAMshaft sensor which is located at the top, rear of the engine on passenger side (in the USA). I kept thinking and saying Crankshaft Sensor which is on the side of the block on the passenger side. Hope this helps.

Bob

Hi Bob, I replaced the camshaft censor first but it made no difference what so ever so i changed the crankshaft censor and everything seems to be fine.
I read somewhere that part of the camshaft censor tells the ECU when the engine is at TDC on cylinder which allows the engine to start then once running the camshaft censor and crankshaft censor bot talk to the ECU to keep th engine running which all seems to make sense.
Fingers crossed mine is still running fine and is also more responsive too

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Last night I OHM'ed on the defective crankshaft position sensor I removed last weekend. At room temperature it read a little over 900Ω across the two outer terminals on a Fluke digital meter with no scaling set.
I then proceeded to take the unit apart. It is a well put together little unit by Bosch! It has 3 connectors on the plug, 2 wires, with one being copper, and the other being silver like maybe stainless. The two wires are wrapped in a heavy metal shield. Looks like the shield is connected to the center connector on the plug.
The wire coverings inside the shield were both pretty much cooked and the insulation was falling apart!
All three circuits go into the pickup head via wires which contains a magnetic center surrounded by a metal sleeve.
I did not grind the whole pickup head apart, only the top, as it is one tough little cookie!
:SOMBRERO:

That's exactly what happened to mineImage

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:18 am 
LOST Member

my CPS died without any codes. Endless attempts to start, with a boost battery, finally fired up. Cam sensor died too,no codes. New CrankPS had a very strong magnet, old one had barely any magnetic stick to it.

I think it is VERY CRITICAL to carry both sensors (spares) in the jeep, with the tools needed.

I'm goign to make a custom heat sheid with two heat shields and a 1/2" of heat mat in between them. As well i;m goign to wrap the down pipe with hi temp exhaust wrap , then heat mat then stainless zip ties.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:54 am 
LOST Addict

Bushman5 wrote:
my CPS died without any codes. Endless attempts to start, with a boost battery, finally fired up. Cam sensor died too,no codes. New CrankPS had a very strong magnet, old one had barely any magnetic stick to it.

I think it is VERY CRITICAL to carry both sensors (spares) in the jeep, with the tools needed.

I'm goign to make a custom heat sheid with two heat shields and a 1/2" of heat mat in between them. As well i;m goign to wrap the down pipe with hi temp exhaust wrap , then heat mat then stainless zip ties.

Do you remember what was the approximate mileage when you had the failure? I already replaced my ckp sensor under 140k, but haven't replaced the cam sensor. I have it in my spare parts box in the jeep.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:09 pm 
LOST Member

I'm going to say around 200,000 km. No idea if PO changed it.....

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:53 pm 

Replaced my CPS at 145k, cam sensor is still original equipment best I know.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine went at 270 000km.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:56 pm 
LOST Member

I had to replace both on my 06 at around 147k Miles

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:20 am 
LOST Newbie

06 Liberty CRD 205k miles

No Codes

Intermittent no starts while hot since buying Libby a couple months ago. When the weather was cold (mid 30*s) I would have no issues. Once the weather got above 60* it would not restart unless I let it cool for nearly an hour.

My temporary solution was to leave it running all day. This got old fast. Next temporary fix was to carry a bag of ice and pour ice water over the sensors. This confused on lookers but worked every time.

Final straw was when it hit 80* outside and she shutoff while going down the road.
She finally threw a P0340... As I was in route to pick up my new sensors from the parts store....

Some ice water and I was on my way again.

Autozone: both were Bosch sensors
Crank position sensor $54 next day availability
Cam position sensor $47 next day availability

No issues since the sensors were replaced.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:42 am 

msdg137 wrote:
06 Liberty CRD 205k miles

No Codes

Intermittent no starts while hot since buying Libby a couple months ago. When the weather was cold (mid 30*s) I would have no issues. Once the weather got above 60* it would not restart unless I let it cool for nearly an hour.

My temporary solution was to leave it running all day. This got old fast. Next temporary fix was to carry a bag of ice and pour ice water over the sensors. This confused on lookers but worked every time.

Final straw was when it hit 80* outside and she shutoff while going down the road.
She finally threw a P0340... As I was in route to pick up my new sensors from the parts store....

Some ice water and I was on my way again.

Autozone: both were Bosch sensors
Crank position sensor $54 next day availability
Cam position sensor $47 next day availability

No issues since the sensors were replaced.

Most never throw a code when going bad!
Great that a new one fixed your issues!!
This might be one of those things that should be replaced every time the timing belt is replaced just to be proactive (100K or 7 years)? :roll:

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:25 am 
LOST Newbie

Mine died while driving and threw the P0335 code. Wouldn't restart but did later after towing it home and letting it cool down.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:49 am 

ovoskeuiks wrote:
Mine died while driving and threw the P0335 code. Wouldn't restart but did later after towing it home and letting it cool down.

Consider yourself fortunate for receiving a "P" code, as most have reported on here, never get any codes! :wink:
Mine put me on the side of the road twice and never got any DTC's of any kind! :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next