It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for help with U0146 code
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

so I bought a 2005 Liberty CRD knowing it had issues. It was in what I thought was limp mode, but now I am not so sure. It will not shift and apears to have two functional gears, one being a higher gear when you select drive, and a lower gear when you manually select first or second. The code I thought was causing the problem was turbo overboost. I had the turbo rebuilt in the course of doing the timing belt and water pump. The actuator was siezed solid so i was pretty sure that was going to fix things. But that code is now cleared and I still have the same will not shift issue. The only code remaining is U0146- lost communication with gateway. I have removed the gateway module and unplugged and checked every connection I can see. All are in excellent shape. There are two sensors unplugged in the intake area and ziptied backby a previous owner. The Jeep has a GDE tune and has been desmogged. I have found four grounds and removed and cleaned them. I have followed all the wiring as far as I can and can see no signs of chafing or damage, including the loom behind the fuel filter. I have 12 volts to the gateway module but have not checked the rest for voltage as I do not have a wiring diagram and do not know where they go or what the voltages should be. I would try a new module if I had one but have not found one yet. Anything I read says it is rarely the module anyway.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Looking for help with U0146 code
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Your transmission is in limp mode.
Thats why its shifting like it is.

I dont know what you are using for a scanner, but you should be getting a P0700 code.

Check the connection to the TCM. (passenger side)
Near the TCM is a ground connection next to the firewall. Make sure its clean and tight.
Check the harness connection down at the transmission.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:17 pm 

Factory Service Manuals that also contain wiring diagrams are available online at this location: > http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/ :wink:

Good luck!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the info. The reason i thought it may not be in limp is that the fsm says it is limited to 1100 rom in limp and this thing will happily spool up to 3500 at least. CertInly down on power though.
Have not looked on the passenger side at all so I will look at that romorrow.
No P0700 code. Tried two scanners. Both just show the U0146 code.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:55 am 
LOST Newbie

My apologies as I see I posted in the wtong section

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:01 am 

Martin1111 wrote:
Thank you for the info. The reason i thought it may not be in limp is that the fsm says it is limited to 1100 rom in limp and this thing will happily spool up to 3500 at least. CertInly down on power though.
Have not looked on the passenger side at all so I will look at that romorrow.
No P0700 code. Tried two scanners. Both just show the U0146 code.

U0146 lost gateway communication

From the FSM:
communication with other Modules on the bus, check for
signs of a bus problem such as bus related DTC’s and/or communication problems.
Although it takes two occurrences of a missed TRD link message to set the fault code,
one missed message will cause the transmission to short shift until the next start up.
If the vehicle has any indications of a bus problem, it must be repaired first.

:roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:06 am 
LOST Member

If you look at the wiring diagrams for the 2005 CRD, pages 8W-30-26, 8W-30-29, 8W-18-3 among others you will see the "Front Control Module".

This is a metal box not much bigger than a cigarette box with one connector on it. It is located inside the engine compartment, left side looking forward...sort of mounted on the left inner fender and in front of and below the battery.

This is a gateway for the various Busses ie. CAN, SCI and PCI and is in a location that picks up water, snow, mud etc. so try locate it...check the color of the wires going to it...and clean the contacts on the connector male and female pins nicely.

The 2006 CRD has this module located inside the cabin on top of the internal fuse panel out of the way of all the crud!

Not saying that this is your problem but lots of 2005 CRD owners have had this issue.....some have had to replace this module.

This may be the same module that you refered to as the "Gateway Module" so maybe you have already done all these actions already.

There is a description of this module under section 8E of the 2005 Service Manual. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:13 am 

If you remove the battery and the battery tray, the gateway module can be easily accessed... :idea:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:09 am 
LOST Newbie

I have completely removed and cleaned the gateway module. I am going to look at the TPM later today as the rain has stopped for a bit. Crossing my fingers because there is not much left to look at short of removing wiring looms and opening them up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:02 am 
LOST Newbie

So today I removed and inspected the TCM module and all wiring and connections on the passenger side. I also redid theground on the inner fender, and cleaned all the attachment points on the module itself. I have yet to find any questionable wiring or connectors. Everything is in very good condition. . I also pulled the FCM (gateway) module and had another look at that. There is some insulation eaten away on the outside of the unused plug, so I scrubbed that in case it was shorting. I checked the plug for power and there is 12 volts to the appropriate plug, and five volts to most of the others. I have not traced them all yet but I guess that is my next step. I also confirmed that the ground is good to the plug. I am stumped at this point.
Any new suggestions are welcome.
I would like to open the three modules up to have a look for arcing or other damage, but the cases seem quite well sealed. Would i do any harm if I pry them open?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:56 am 
LOST Member

Martin1111 wrote:
So today I removed and inspected the TCM module and all wiring and connections on the passenger side. I also redid theground on the inner fender, and cleaned all the attachment points on the module itself. I have yet to find any questionable wiring or connectors. Everything is in very good condition. . I also pulled the FCM (gateway) module and had another look at that. There is some insulation eaten away on the outside of the unused plug, so I scrubbed that in case it was shorting. I checked the plug for power and there is 12 volts to the appropriate plug, and five volts to most of the others. I have not traced them all yet but I guess that is my next step. I also confirmed that the ground is good to the plug. I am stumped at this point.
Any new suggestions are welcome.
I would like to open the three modules up to have a look for arcing or other damage, but the cases seem quite well sealed. Would i do any harm if I pry them open?

Thanks again

I opened up the ECM on my 2002 CRD no problems.

Have you done a search on this forum for U0146?
There are a few hits there...one specifically pointed to a ground point located just above the TCM. :?

Some of these entries are from some guy called Billwill which was my previous User ID which was suspended due to a long period of non-usage :wink:

I know that some code readers can hold up the bus so the reader needs to be disconnected while trying out the vehicle.

I have done some major electrical diagnosis on my 2002 Export CRD due to the main harness being damaged upfront from a frontal impact. I had to cut off several wires at both ends..including splices..because I was tracing some leakage to chassis.

I then replaced these wires with new ones completely.

Looking at the wiring diagrams for your 2005 KJ with the U0146 error though I do not envy your task at hand! :?

The wiring for this communication bus goes all over the place with plenty of splices so unless you can find a missing ground I think the next step is to find a replacement FCM module from a breaker yard and hope that fixes your problem but it could be any number of other failing components or failing wires somewhere!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the replies again. I did find the ground for the TCM but it was down on the fender. I will have another look tonite for one up higher that I may have missed.
I will have to pick up a gateway module next. I would have already but they are not readily available and everything I read tells me it is rarely the problem. I am going to order a new one if need be but I am in Canada so it will take a while and then I apparantly need to have it programmed.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:06 am 
LOST Member

Martin1111 wrote:
Thank you for the replies again. I did find the ground for the TCM but it was down on the fender. I will have another look tonite for one up higher that I may have missed.
I will have to pick up a gateway module next. I would have already but they are not readily available and everything I read tells me it is rarely the problem. I am going to order a new one if need be but I am in Canada so it will take a while and then I apparantly need to have it programmed.....

I would rather replace the Front Control Module first!

If you look at the "Liberty CRD Love That Torque" section an unfortunate 2005 CRD owner is in the process of maybe parting out his Jeep due to a fire in the wire harness around the transfer case. The FCM does not need re-programming while the TCM should only need a "quick learn procedure" after replacement as explained in the 2005 KJ Service Manual. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:59 pm 

Martin1111 wrote:
I will have to pick up a gateway module next. I would have already but they are not readily available and everything I read tells me it is rarely the problem. I am going to order a new one if need be but I am in Canada so it will take a while and then I apparently need to have it programmed.....

According to the FSM, there is a ground near the TCM, G102. Probably on top of the finder or on the firewall?
See Figure No. 19 (KJ 8W-91 CONNECTOR/GROUND/SPLICE LOCATION page: 8W - 91 - 33)

Another ground according to the FSM Wiring Diagram, G100 is on the drivers side engine compartment on the firewall, see Figure 20, same page as Fig. 19...

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

I wonder if someone can point me toward a diagram of the ecu pinout with a picture of the actual plug. i need to trace the bus circuits and in the factory manuals I downloaded the conveniently do not show the plug itself. All the others are there but beside the ECU it says connector not available. So kind of hard to know if I am tracing the correct wires.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
should find it in here.
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2005JeepKJServiceManual.pdf

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

fixed it! Thank you for all the help and suggestions. i opened up the wiring harness under the radiator and started running my hand along every wire one by one. There are a lot of wires. I had done this before but this time I was more carefull. I found a little swelling in one wire and rubbed it with my fingernail. The insulation came away and the wire was almost completely corroded away inside. Must have been a pinhole in the insulation. It was one of the 12 volt circuits to the tcm. It showed 12 volts with a mulitmeter but obviously was not pushing enough amps or something.
So if anyone else has this U0146 code, my suggestion is to use a decent scanner that will talk to individual modules(pointed me toward the TCM whereas the U0146 code indicates a bad gateway module) and to check wiring thoroghly before replacing modules.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Grounds, Wires, and Switches. The Jeep's Achilles Heel.

Glad you found it and now have a good running CRD for cheap!

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set