It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Late model KK seat in KJ
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All,

Been lurking this forum for a long time, but haven't been able to find out if what I want to do is possible:

I have an 05 CRD with power leather seats, which are uncomfortable to me, hard foam and no lumbar support. I have a line on a mint pair of leather power + heat seats from a 2011 KK. I know they'll physically fit, but does anyone know if the wiring harness of those seats will match the harness from my current seats?

I assume the answer is no. That leaves me with this question: Will the seat base + back fit my 2005 seat frames? Then I can retain the existing power rail, and just have to figure out something for the heat at a later date if I want it. (not dying to have the heat work immediately. I know the 2011 KK has the heat switches in the dash, not on the seat so i'd have to come up with switches too.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I hope that since they share the same frame, the seat cushions will drop in :/

Best regards,
Shane

PS: thanks to this forum I I did my own timing belt 14+ months ago :D

Post subject: Re: Late model KK seat in KJ
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:03 am 
LOST Member

Shane,

I hope you get some answers. My '05 seats are shot. My drivers side especially.

Samco hoses
Weeks Stage 1
PMF EGR plug kit
ARP Stud
Cracked CAC repaired with epoxy filler

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Tomas, me too. The seats are $125 each so I'm a bit hesitant to just pull the trigger and maybe get burned. If they were manual seats maybe I'd go for it, but since they're power seats I would need to have the power up and running before it'll be drivable (unless the prior owner was close enough size to me lol)

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:10 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm looking for KK/Nitro seats too.
But I only want cloth manual seats.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:59 pm 
LOST Member

There's a local guy with 2010 KK seats in his 05 KJ. He said it bolted up fine but had to run electrical and relays for the heat.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:09 am 
LOST Newbie

I assume I'd need to do something custom for the heat, but im hoping the power functions will work as is, at least for the driver seat :-)r

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:39 am 
LOST Newbie

https://goo.gl/photos/mCiDdttrmF93vyeD7

Caved and bought them. Planing to get things started this week. Drivers side first :D

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:07 pm 
LOST Member

Those are some nice looking seats!

I looked up the connector for the driver's seat and I *think* this is it; not sure why there are two different versions though. Maybe for different trim levels? Either way if this is the right one, match up the wire colors on your connector with the pinouts to determine which you have and go from there. I can't imagine the KJ and KK use the same connector with compatible pinouts since the KK has wires for heated seat control, CAN bus, and active head restraints that the KJ wouldn't have.
2011 KK - C311
2011 KK - C312

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Joe!! I'll let the group know when I'm able to tear into it.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:10 pm 
LOST Member

Nice!!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got the driver seat in! OMG feels great :D muuuuch softer than the original seats. I temporarily wired power to the seat and all movement works. I haven't made any attempt to get the heat yet.

Question: Is the seatbelt buckle tied into the airbag system? I didn't hook the latch up yet since the connectors are different, and now my seatbelt light and airbag lights are on :s I'm looking through the service manual for the seats and don't see anything about the driver side.

Pics to come!

Shane

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Did your old seats have airbags in them?
Airbag wiring usually has yellow plugs and sheathing.
A missing airbag will definitely cause the light to come on.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:53 am 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
Did your old seats have airbags in them?
Airbag wiring usually has yellow plugs and sheathing.
A missing airbag will definitely cause the light to come on.

No, they don't. I figured it out however; the harness coming up through the carpet has 4 pins, power and ground and t he other two just connect to the seat belt latch wiring. So I hacked it together with alligator clips and the airbag and seat belt lights are back to normal! Next step is to harvest the old seats connectors and wire it up to the new seat...then on to the passenger side :(

Does anyone have a pin-out of the passenger side wiring harness? In the manual only has the wiring colors, not what they're for :(

Ill post a pic shortly of the driver side from my phone!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Not sure if it'll post so here's the link:
https://goo.gl/photos/p5LPFb1QFKquTW2u7

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:15 am 
LOST Member

Wow, I would love to do this to mine. I have always hated the seats in these things, especially the "leather" in the Limited versions. I'll have to swing by the local U-Pull-It to see what they have for seats!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:19 am 
LOST Newbie

I put this pin-out together for the passenger seat 8 pin connector based on the FSM diagrams:

1 - D25 - PCI Bus
2 - R57 - Seat Belt Switch Sense
3 - Z105 - Ground (use for airbag Sensor)
4 - R59 - Seat Belt Switch Ground
5 - F37 - Fused B(+)
6 - F201 - Fused Ignition Switch Output (Run-Start)
8 - Z849 - Ground (use for power seat functions)

I believe pins 1,3,6 are used for the airbag bladder sensor in the seat. Not sure when I'll be able to pull it and confirm. I will have to disassemble the current seat bottom :(

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:26 pm 
LOST Addict

I picked up a pair of KK seats this morning.
This afternoon I attempted installing the passenger seat.
I have cloth manual seats but they have proven to be a difficult install.
The seats are out of a 2011 KK.

The passenger side...

First, if your KJ seat has the butt pressure switch, the easiest way to deal with this is to just swap the whole butt pressure pad, sensor, and harness to the KK seat.
It's a lot easier than it seems.
Just lift up the seat cushion and gently slide the pad out. Then slide the pad into the KK cushion. The harness swaps over and is pretty self explanatory.

Second, the seat mounts that bolt to the floor are not exactly the same as the KJ.
So far, I have removed some carpet and insulation and used a hammer and punch to reshape some of the floor board.

I'm done for today. Will get back at it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 am 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:

The passenger side...

First, if your KJ seat has the butt pressure switch, the easiest way to deal with this is to just swap the whole butt pressure pad, sensor, and harness to the KK seat.
Just lift up the seat cushion and gently slide the pad out. Then slide the pad into the KK cushion. The harness swaps over and is pretty self explanatory.

Second, the seat mounts that bolt to the floor are not exactly the same as the KJ.
So far, I have removed some carpet and insulation and used a hammer and punch to reshape some of the floor board.

Awesome!! My driver seat lined up just fine, maybe the seat frame is tweaked? I haven't tried the full range yet as the power seat wiring is not connected at the moment. I'm glad to hear the seat pressure pad is easily swapped over. So I don't need to mess with the hog rings then? Just take the slip cover off and slide it out?

Thanks!
Shane

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:27 am 
LOST Addict

slvdc1 wrote:
flash7210 wrote:

The passenger side...

Awesome!! My driver seat lined up just fine, maybe the seat frame is tweaked? I haven't tried the full range yet as the power seat wiring is not connected at the moment. I'm glad to hear the seat pressure pad is easily swapped over. So I don't need to mess with the hog rings then? Just take the slip cover off and slide it out?

Thanks!
Shane

Yup.
Just unclip the front seat cover at the front of the seat frame. Lift the seat cushion and pry loose the two plastic clips that hold the pressure pad. Gently slide the pad out.
Installation in the KK seat is just the reverse. There are holes in the KK seat frame for the plastic clips to snap into.

The passenger side KK seat floor mounts are a different contour than the KJ seat. Basically, the KJ carpet and insulation gets in the way of the KK mount and the mount will not sit flat like it should. The KJ mount cannot be swapped onto the KK seat.
The KK seat frame mounts to the floor mounts through a set of pressure sensors. The nut/bolt from the sensor mount goes through the floor mount and hits the floorboard, keeping the floor mount from sitting flat. Removing some carpet and insulation has helped a bit. Hammering a recess into the floor board should help some more.
There is also a wiring harness directly underneath the floor mount. I dont want that wiring getting crushed/pinched in the process.
I plan to work with it some more this afternoon.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the heads up Flash. I'll take a stab at it tonight or tomorrow.