It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need new tires!
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys! I need some new tires for a 2005 KJ. It's not my Jeep though, I'm only doing this for a friend, because he asked me to help him, but unfortunately I am lost when it comes to technicalities. So, he pretty much told me that he wants some tires for off road trips. He'll only use the Jeep off road, because he has another car for his family and driving around town, basically. He's also not looking to spend too much on tires, but he also told me not to find him the cheapest ones available. So I need something that's decent, basically.
He said he searched the internet and found this website: HolmesTire, but I don't know what to make of it, it doesn't look very helpful to me at all. So that's why I came to you guys, to get your opinion, because I don't want my friend to make a mistake and waste his money. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: I need new tires!
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Many of the offroaders here seem to favor the Goodyear Dura Tracs, and get pretty amazing lifetimes with them

If you want to do a more detailed search of your own, Tire Rack and Simple Tire are both good.
Tire Rack is a single source with their own warehouses.
Simple Tire is a world-wide marketing network where all inventory of all network members is listed in a single online marketing site.

In both cases, they may not have an installer close enough to reasonably use, so just take the tires to a local tire shop for mount and balance.

Always be sure to check the tire diameter listed. Brands and tread types vary even within the same listed tire size.

If he has no lift installed, stay under 31" diameter or it can cause more problems. and repairs.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:45 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

pacaba wrote:
Hey guys! I need some new tires for a 2005 KJ. It's not my Jeep though, I'm only doing this for a friend, because he asked me to help him, but unfortunately I am lost when it comes to technicalities. So, he pretty much told me that he wants some tires for off road trips. He'll only use the Jeep off road, because he has another car for his family and driving around town, basically. He's also not looking to spend too much on tires, but he also told me not to find him the cheapest ones available. So I need something that's decent, basically.
He said he searched the internet and found this website: HolmesTire, but I don't know what to make of it, it doesn't look very helpful to me at all. So that's why I came to you guys, to get your opinion, because I don't want my friend to make a mistake and waste his money. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Before anyone at all can answer a question like that we need to know a few things
Is it lifted or stock?
If stock then how much has it sagged ? ( measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front )
We could take a shot in the dark with an answer but if sagged a lot then possibly the tire we suggest doesn't come ina size that would not rub

Get back to us with measurements and also what he is willing to spend

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:46 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Many of the offroaders here seem to favor the Goodyear Dura Tracs, and get pretty amazing lifetimes with them

If you want to do a more detailed search of your own, Tire Rack and Simple Tire are both good.
Simple Tire is a world-wide marketing network where all inventory of all network members is listed in a single online marketing site.

In both cases, they may not have an installer close enough to reasonably use, so just take the tires to a local tire shop for mount and balance.

Always be sure to check the tire diameter listed. Brands and tread types vary even within the same listed tire size.

If he has no lift installed, stay under 31" diameter or it can cause more problems. and repairs.

No lift stay under 29 inches ya mean......

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A 225/75R-16

Stock tires

29.25" diameter mounted, on stock wheels.

On 8" wide wheels they would be under 29"

My suspension is stock

I have Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70R-16

On stock size wheels they are 29.7" dia mounted

I could go up another inch if I wanted, and still get my full hand (thickness, not width) between the tire and anything at any point of the suspension and steering travel.

So.. I'll compromise. Don't go over 30" diameter.

And. I agree with you 100% about knowing the exact nature of the beast it's going on, where it will be driven, how much he's willing to spend, and what your friend expects it to do.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:16 am 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:

Thanks for the answer, it is very much appreciated! I'll check out Simple Tire. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:17 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
pacaba wrote:

Before anyone at all can answer a question like that we need to know a few things
Is it lifted or stock?
If stock then how much has it sagged ? ( measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front )
We could take a shot in the dark with an answer but if sagged a lot then possibly the tire we suggest doesn't come ina size that would not rub

Thanks for the answer! He told me the Jeep is indeed lifted. He said he has about $800 to spend.
Thank you for the reply!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:19 am 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A 225/75R-16

Stock tires

29.25" diameter mounted, on stock wheels.

On 8" wide wheels they would be under 29"

My suspension is stock

I have Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70R-16

On stock size wheels they are 29.7" dia mounted

I could go up another inch if I wanted, and still get my full hand (thickness, not width) between the tire and anything at any point of the suspension and steering travel.

So.. I'll compromise. Don't go over 30" diameter.

And. I agree with you 100% about knowing the exact nature of the beast it's going on, where it will be driven, how much he's willing to spend, and what your friend expects it to do.

Thank you for the answer, I greatly appreciate it! I'll come back to this thread once my friend has made a decision. :)
Or maybe I can hear some more opinions, that would be awesome too.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:12 pm 

pacaba wrote:
tommudd wrote:

Is it lifted or stock?

Thanks for the answer! He told me the Jeep is indeed lifted. He said he has about $800 to spend.
Thank you for the reply!

OK so we sort of have an answer ,
so lifted how?
could have a 2.5 inch spacer lift on it with stock springs and still not be an inch over stock height
Or could be a real full spring lift sitting 2.5 inches over new stock height.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:33 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
pacaba wrote:
tommudd wrote:

Is it lifted or stock?

Thank you for the reply!

OK so we sort of have an answer ,
so lifted how?
could have a 2.5 inch spacer lift on it with stock springs and still not be an inch over stock height
Or could be a real full spring lift sitting 2.5 inches over new stock height.

I've talked to him, and he talked to a mechanic because he has no idea how much it is lifted, and he said it's about 2 inches above the normal (stock?) height. But it doesn't really matter now, because, in the end, he decided to go with some Goodyear Dura Tracs.
Thank you everyone for the help!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 am 
LOST Newbie

I also recommend Duratracs. They great in the mud, rocks and snow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Nitto Ridge Grappler tires are also a good option. It's the best all-terrain tires I've had on my Jeep.

Post subject: I need new tires!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:44 am 
LOST Member

Hankook dynapro mt2 is the best mud tire ever... from a pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk