It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi everyone, another KJ
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone, Mitch here from San Jose, CA
I recently acquired an 06 Jeep KJ and getting familiar with it so far. It's my first SUV and I really enjoy benefits of all wheel drive and big space.
Want to get some cool off-road goodies like a roof rack, off-road lights and possibly all terrain tires...not sure if there are lift kits for these jeeps but it could be a good thing to consider too.
I know it's not the most common mod, but I really like the LED light bars they use on the desert trucks, especially with amber reflectorslike on this Chevy Colorado Prerunner https://4x4projects.com/chevy-colorado- ... ourse.html

Last edited by MitchMahaney on Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Hi everyone, another KJ
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:10 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey Mitch, a how do from Texas,

No doubt there is plenty of info and opinions to be found here on lift kits etc. My own experience on lift kits for my "05 Liberty was a Daystar kit that I threw out once I finally got around to contemplating its installation. That particular product was, in my opinion of poor design. A budget lift that required inserting plastic spacers under the strut springs which served only to precompress the spring such that all your initial shock absorption (i.e. ride quality) was eliminated. I saw through that design... unfortunately months after purchasing the kit.

I researched the matter further and settled on a Rocky Road Outfitters (RRO) GodFather II lift kit combined with one inch wheel spacers and 17" alloy rims. A real B_ _ch to install. Not an install for the timid. Though not because of the kits design but because the geometry of the suspension design offers precious little tolerance for mounting longer strut assemblies. I had to significantly precompress the struts and literally pry and rachet strap the strut into place to align it with the pickle fork assembly that connects the strut base to the lower control arm. You can also try to install the strut and pickle fork assembly as one and then try to pull it into alignment with the lower control arm. Either way you will have to show it whose boss.

I would recommend also purchasing the RRO upper control arms (UCA) as the OEM UCA will hit the spring when the strut approaches full unloaded extension. You will hear it! I did not purchase their UCA's only because I learned of them soon after I had already bought the OEM UCA assemblies.

All said and done I am now very pleased with the appearance, ride quality improved handling and load carrying capability of this suspension setup. Shop wisely but in the end you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:29 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Botta Boom wrote:
Hey Mitch, a how do from Texas,

No doubt there is plenty of info and opinions to be found here on lift kits etc. My own experience on lift kits for my "05 Liberty was a Daystar kit that I threw out once I finally got around to contemplating its installation. That particular product was, in my opinion of poor design. A budget lift that required inserting plastic spacers under the strut springs which served only to precompress the spring such that all your initial shock absorption (i.e. ride quality) was eliminated. I saw through that design... unfortunately months after purchasing the kit.

I researched the matter further and settled on a Rocky Road Outfitters (RRO) GodFather II lift kit combined with one inch wheel spacers and 17" alloy rims. A real B_ _ch to install. Not an install for the timid. Though not because of the kits design but because the geometry of the suspension design offers precious little tolerance for mounting longer strut assemblies. I had to significantly precompress the struts and literally pry and rachet strap the strut into place to align it with the pickle fork assembly that connects the strut base to the lower control arm. You can also try to install the strut and pickle fork assembly as one and then try to pull it into alignment with the lower control arm. Either way you will have to show it whose boss.

I would recommend also purchasing the RRO upper control arms (UCA) as the OEM UCA will hit the spring when the strut approaches full unloaded extension. You will hear it! I did not purchase their UCA's only because I learned of them soon after I had already bought the OEM UCA assemblies.

All said and done I am now very pleased with the appearance, ride quality improved handling and load carrying capability of this suspension setup. Shop wisely but in the end you get what you pay for.

RRO ??
http://www.jeepinbyal.com for lifts and way better upper control arms as well

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:09 am 
LOST Newbie

RRO : Rocky Road Outfitters, rocky-road.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

Stay away from rro go jba.

L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:30 pm 

Botta Boom wrote:
RRO : Rocky Road Outfitters, rocky-road.com

I fully know what RRO stands for and its not a good thing
Please stay away from them and their copycat products