It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: it's 2017, is the CRD Lib a viable used car?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

A very large hailstorm rolled through colorado a few weeks ago and it totaled my daily driver. I have since had an accelerated hunt for a new vehicle.

The short question: now that CRD's are typically in the 150k mile plus age, are they still a viable used vehicle choice considering the motor issues surfacing as mileage increases? Could you still recommend them to a friend? And, what would you be willing to pay for one?

The longer story: I currently own a supercharged 95 miata for sunny day driving and a 1986 mr2 that I race in SCCA rallycross that is getting a V6 swap later this year. I'm no stranger to turning wrenches, but the last 4x4 I drove was a carbureted 86 toyota pickup back in 2005. I've never owned a diesel before. I am looking for a car that I can drive in the winter (4WD) so I can retire my mr2 from winter car duties, can tow said mr2 to races, can haul lumber and other household items from time to time (I realize the KJ will require 4x8 drywall and plywood to be strapped to the roof or placed in a trailer), and lastly, I'd love to start exploring some light 4x4 trails.

The liberty seems to hit all these marks. I really enjoyed the CRD I drove. The torque made me think making the switch from my current turbo sedan would not be so bad. I enjoyed the driving dynamics much more than the jeep grand cherokee I drove and even the v8 xc90 I drove. The size fits me better, as I'm used to much smaller/sportier vehicles. But, as much as I've researched in the last 5 days, it looks like CRD ownership could be ticking time bomb for my "reliable" daily driver. The first several pages here on lost jeeps is all about no start conditions, transmission problems, rocker and valve problems. I also realize forums can seem to unfairly highlight issues due to the user base.

So, could you recommend a liberty crd to a friend or family member? Are the valve issues really that prevalent? What about rockers self destructing? Lastly head studs? Can any members in an emissions area comment on EGR delete/GDE tune and successful emissions passing (seems like the tune would be the better solution so that I can revert to stock during testing and also visually pass)? Lastly was the question of how much to pay for a CRD. Sounds like there are some huge maintenance bombshells, but many private sellers and dealerships are still asking $7-8k or more.

Thanks in advance for reading and any insight you can provide.

Post subject: it's 2017, is the CRD Lib a viable used car?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:40 am 
LOST Addict

krautastic wrote:
A very large hailstorm rolled through colorado a few weeks ago and it totaled my daily driver. I have since had an accelerated hunt for a new vehicle.

The short question: now that CRD's are typically in the 150k mile plus age, are they still a viable used vehicle choice considering the motor issues surfacing as mileage increases? Could you still recommend them to a friend? And, what would you be willing to pay for one?

The longer story: I currently own a supercharged 95 miata for sunny day driving and a 1986 mr2 that I race in SCCA rallycross that is getting a V6 swap later this year. I'm no stranger to turning wrenches, but the last 4x4 I drove was a carbureted 86 toyota pickup back in 2005. I've never owned a diesel before. I am looking for a car that I can drive in the winter (4WD) so I can retire my mr2 from winter car duties, can tow said mr2 to races, can haul lumber and other household items from time to time (I realize the KJ will require 4x8 drywall and plywood to be strapped to the roof or placed in a trailer), and lastly, I'd love to start exploring some light 4x4 trails.

The liberty seems to hit all these marks. I really enjoyed the CRD I drove. The torque made me think making the switch from my current turbo sedan would not be so bad. I enjoyed the driving dynamics much more than the jeep grand cherokee I drove and even the v8 xc90 I drove. The size fits me better, as I'm used to much smaller/sportier vehicles. But, as much as I've researched in the last 5 days, it looks like CRD ownership could be ticking time bomb for my "reliable" daily driver. The first several pages here on lost jeeps is all about no start conditions, transmission problems, rocker and valve problems. I also realize forums can seem to unfairly highlight issues due to the user base.

So, could you recommend a liberty crd to a friend or family member? Are the valve issues really that prevalent? What about rockers self destructing? Lastly head studs? Can any members in an emissions area comment on EGR delete/GDE tune and successful emissions passing (seems like the tune would be the better solution so that I can revert to stock during testing and also visually pass)? Lastly was the question of how much to pay for a CRD. Sounds like there are some huge maintenance bombshells, but many private sellers and dealerships are still asking $7-8k or more.

Thanks in advance for reading and any insight you can provide.

What I have seen in regards to Colorado emissions is that it purely an exhaust clarity test, GDE tunes should pass this no problem as they seem to run more boost than the stock tune meaning it will run cleaner, less sooty. The only time this may be an issue is at your altitude with a GDE hot tune. Mine will put down a soot trail at WOT here at 6500' but otherwise runs clean.

Other than that, you will either need to find a used one that has all the right mods done, or spend some time/money working on one to get it in the right place. I love mine because it's a pretty unique vehicle, but my god I have spent a lot of time turning wrenches just to get it to run like you would expect a car to run.

I just broke 100k miles and have had no serious issues. I chased an overheating issue for 6 months which turned out to ultimately be a bad fan clutch, which was then replaced with a brand new Hayden fan clutch that was dead on arrival. Not realizing this I went through just about every part of the cooling system trying to find out what was wrong. I only found out the new clutch was dead when I swapped it for a fixed flex fan and got the opportunity to put it in the oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: it's 2017, is the CRD Lib a viable used car?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:25 am 
LOST Addict

I have four of the crds one for me and one for each child. They were mostly bought when they had 80k to 100k miles and only one had a timing belt already done. None of them had any mods except one had a lift kit and two had GDE tunes.
First the GDE tunes are great for the vehicle . You would have no trouble passing emissions with them no need to change anything. I did the same thing you are doing when my first child was 15 trying to decide on a vehicle for them.

With the preventive measures and mods they are pretty reliable. You will definitely need the updated fuel head and a lift pump and delete the egr function either by unplugging the MAF sensor or GDE tune etc. Change timing belt and fluids regularly with correct oil etc. Change the glow plugs to metal. You will probably need to upgrade torque converter especially if towing, the Hemi one is about $200for part . I would recommend the ARP studs but it could wait a while I had one leaky head gasket out of a combined 250,000 miles between the four so far it corrected with just the studs and not replacing it but doubt it will last long , but even then it continued to run normally. I would recommend it as daily driver but I would also have a backup to drive for a few days at a time mainly in order to get parts if needed. There are good parts suppliers for most things now such as ID parts. Mainly be ready to do most of the motor related work yourself with the help of this forum, which it sounds lie you could easily do.

For towing ,make sure you get a vehicle that originally had a towing kit it will have a 7 pin plug to the left of receiver hitch. It is pretty expensive to add anything but basic flat four pin unless you do it from scratch. It is fairly easy to add a brake controller. BTW all diesel CRDS came with receiver hitch and there was a recall to check bolts etc. I tow a mastercraft ski boat about 4,000 lbs with no difficulty with no trailer brakes just careful. I have also towed 20 foot 14,000 GVR trailer with a CRD on it about 7000 lbs with brakes. I would stick to 5,000 lbs or less with no more than 200 lb tongue weight, It will handle the weight in this range but you definitely need trailer brakes for the heavier loads. I pull 12 foot trailer with Ranger on it or fishing boats all the time with no problem at all . My only concern up to 7,000 lbs is stopping and also tongue weight . They do not handle heavier tongue weights like say a pickup might as you would expect since they are short and though stout not that heavy. BTW I believe they r rated to tow 5,000 in US but in europe they r rated to tow 7,000 lbs. I was told this was because of requirement there for the heavier trailers to have different hitch I would assume weight distributing one.

If I were you, I would look for one in the 90k to 130k range and use timing belt change to get the cost down to around $6000 to $7000 these can be had. Alternatively you can occassionly find one that has most of the needed mods and tune for around 8k to 9k with more miles. I think Geordi may still have one for sale with redone engine and most mods. Last one I bought 15 months ago had GDE tune metal glow plugs with 93 k miles new tires limited with tow package everything working except one rear window perfect body clean car fax for $8000. Also bought one that was missing according to the seller no mods 130k good condition for $3500 and fixed it for $60 with new crank sensor.
I would stay away from the higher mileage ones unless you want to go ahead and change head studs and rockers soon and I personally wouldn't buy one with over 180k on it for more than $5000 planning to change timing belt studs and rockers etc ASAP. Then you r also getting close to transmission life I would guess 220k to 250k. I would also stay away from one with lift kit just on principle that it may not have been treated as well even though I wanted lift. You also don't want more than 2 inch lift if you r pulling much weight IMHO. The rockers do wear out but the replacement ones are of higher quality. Also what you r probably seeing is a lot about the rockers breaking for not changing the timing belt when it breaks this is what they r designed to do to save the valves.

Also I would favor a 2005 model due to ESP traction on 2006 and more things to go wrong but some people like it a lot. And probably a little cheaper. I personally expect to get about 250 K from my well maintained ones with maybe half needing head service by then.

Just my advice.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:54 am 
LOST Addict

Would I recommend one for a family memeber?
Hell no!
Because that would mean that I'd be on the hook for every question/concern about noises or vibrations or whatever weird thing they identify.
Then I would have to stop answering their phone calls, possibly change my phone number, and it just goes downhill from there. UGH..! :wink:

A friend?
Possibly.
But only if I were confident in their skills at handling any potential CRD issues.
I'd hate for a long term CRD project to ruin a friendship.

I'm gonna hit 200k miles on my CRD real soon.
I've only had two major issues that kept it laid-up for several weeks at a time.
First was a cracked head, which started with what I thought was a head gasket leak. Turned out I was wrong.
Second was a fuel system problem that was electrical and intermittent and difficult to diagnose. Had to swap out a couple parts before I finally identified the problem.

Cracked heads, broken valves, and other major engine component failures can happen in any engine.
You just do your best to identify and fix small probkems before they become big problems and perform preventative maintenance.
Rocker arm failures are by far the most common engine problem. Just use good engine oil and delete the EGR valve.

Lastly.
The Jeep Liberty CRD, with all its weird engine quirks, is above all else a Jeep made by Chrysler. And with that you have to be able to deal with all its potential suspension and driveline problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:51 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Emailed the OP, lets find this gentleman a CRD!

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes they are a viable vehicle and with a bit of luck you can find one with a good service history and low mileage; mine had ca. 60K when I sold it earlier this year and my son's 06, not for sale, is likely ca. 85K. There are some longevity maintenance quirks with the engine but those are well known (CAC hoses; airbox to turbo hose; timing belt/water pump service interval; proper oil and change interval; etc) and if done the engine is dependable. Outside of the engine the body/drive train are pretty standard KJ with the exception of the torque converter (stock is ok if not pushed too hard).

idparts is a good parts source and this forum is a good place for repair/service tips. Dealer or shop service of engine can be iffy but brakes, steering, transmission, etc are, like noted above, pretty standard KJ.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:04 pm 
LOST Addict

I have an 06 in fort collins I need to put up for sale. Has ARP head studs and timing belt done about a year and a few thousand miles ago. Engine/trans/xfer case has 55k miles, the body 145k.

read the noob guide and email me if you think CRD ownership is right for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The key to owning the CRD is and has been -

are you comfortable working on your own engine?

if yes - they can be great - have to be real picky about the history

if no - no.

there never were any techs trained to work on them - everyone has learned hands on

if you're paying someone else - your paying $100/hour for them to learn.

if you're doing it yourself - it's different - not hard - just different.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:25 am 
LOST Addict

Check out auto trader for comparison make sure and mark diesel on the search right now there are 15 to 20. You know what they say buyer beware. Best if someone familiar with them could look at it with you. Lots of tricks such as one I looked at had all CEL function turned off I assume in the instrument panel resistor bu not sure one way to check for that is unplug the MAF sensor and see if light comes on. On that one I ran codes and there were none so I bought it anyway at reduced price.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

After mr 1st CRD dropped a valve and ruined motor, I bought a super nice Limited with 170K on it,($5600) moved ALL my goodies to it, sold old CRD for a couple grand, spent $1500 on new HG, exhaust valves, Timing belt & water pump, after sorting out usual gremlins it is running great, just got back from Big Bend trip, 4 wheeled all over and drove back to Houston where I drive it everyday all over the city. Something about that weirdo diesel!

06 CRD Limited/#2
Full OME suspension/Sway Bar Disconnects
ARB Bumper/ LEDs
SS Cat Back
Warn 8000
KC HID Daylighters (2)
Sasquatch EGR delete kit
ARP stud kit
Safari Snorkel
Suncoast TC
Alpine/ JL Audio
Clifford Remote Start
Netto Terra Grapplers 265/75/16
GDE Hot
Lift Pump
Sasquatch Battery Kit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:32 pm 
LOST Addict

I think atxkj summarized best. If you want and are good with wrenching, get a crd and think at minimum couple thousands extra for some replacement parts. Otherwise, a vehicle like Toyota 4runner 4x4 or Honda crv awd would be a better vehicle for winter. Or even a liberty 3.7 gasser. Parts everywhere and most techs know how to work on them.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:12 pm 
LOST Addict

TKB4 wrote:
Lots of tricks such as one I looked at had all CEL function turned off I assume in the instrument panel resistor bu not sure one way to check for that is unplug the MAF sensor and see if light comes on.

CEL should light up when the key is first turned on. If it does not then there is a problem with the light. This is done as a check during startup so you know the light works.

You can also press the trip reset button prior to key on and release it to perform a gauge cluster test. This will show all indicator lights and gauge sweeps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I would recommend the CRD to as many people as possible. Drive up demand and then turn around and sell mine for a profit.

Well really, my mother in law had a transmission go bad in her Honda Accord. I gave her this Jeep CRD but do miss it.

Also, these Jeeps are trail rated, not Flood rated. Try to stay away from flooded streets. The water gets everywhere and it's just a pain for a busy person like myself to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Generally very good advice being offered here. However, it is highly unlikely that any of the contributors to this thread live as far North as I do. If you want to ask a diesel vehicle owner what to do to make a diesel vehicle engine last as long as possible, you ask someone who has to drive in the worst conditions imaginable for a diesel engine, and that is bone chilling cold weather. And - preferably - you ask someone who drives or has driven commercial diesel vehicles for a living... the very survival of a commercial trucking company absolutely depends upon having their vehicles be as reliable as a stone fence.

I suspect that a significant percentage of CRD owners - especially those who never had a diesel vehicle before - drive their CRD like a gasoline fueled vehicle. That is a mistake, and this causes long-term reliability issues. This problem is exacerbated by dealerships who sell diesel vehicles and do not pass on important operating information to the purchaser when he or she buys their first diesel vehicle... why would they do that and have a chance at queering the deal? :roll:

My advice would be first to consult with a trucker or a commercial trucking outfit to see what they do to extend the life of their vehicles, and then follow the recommendations of the members here. If you can change your driving habits slightly and are prepared to invest in quality upgrades, then you will be happy with your decision to purchase a CRD. :pepper:

You may actually be picking a very good time to purchase a CRD, as almost all of the proper upgrade fixes are in place and most of the major issues have been addressed. The vehicles are relatively cheap now, and with a few thousand in upgrades you can have a reliable vehicle, (better than new), for years to come that will approach the off-road capabilities of a Wrangler that gets way better fuel economy.

1) Delete or otherwise deal with the CRD pollution control systems; engine tunes are the best for this.

2) Get your engine operating temperature safely up about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

Do the above 2 things and you will avoid most of the major bugbear issues the CRD has. There are other worthwhile upgrades to do that will increase the life of the CRD engine, but the above two are most important. The caveat here is that the damage may already have been done, so the trick is to be especially vigilant when purchasing a used CRD and low ball the price if you can see any issues with the CRD you are dealing on.

Green Diesel Engineering makes excellent tunes, and they are plug and play for the most part. I.D. Parts is a great source for O.E. parts you would normally have to get from your local dealer.

Good luck in finding a CRD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
Green Diesel Engineering makes excellent tunes, and they are plug and play for the most part. I.D. Parts is a great source for O.E. parts you would normally have to get from your local dealer.

I seriously believe that this forum would be perhaps 10% or less as flourishing and active as it is, if not for GDE, IDParts, Sasquatch, JBA, All-J, and even folks like SirSam, Tommudd, Papaindigo, TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK, etc. etc.
Having sources of quality repair, and maintenance parts/products,
Years of experience and knowledge,
innovation type parts that eliminate weaknesses,
people that encourage, even insist on modifications and practices that work as desired, that are safe, that will not contribute to a bad image or reputation of these Jeeps,
and people that have maintained and made readily available volumes of service manuals, nifty MODs, and past and ongoing experiments,
and a phenomenal knowledge base like this forum,
is absolutely cornerstone to the viability of the Jeep and other small CRD's, but especially the little niche Liberty.

If the internet, and such a community existed in the Sixties, Ralph Nader would have had a much different career, and the Corvair may have developed into a safe and popular car.

IMO the CRD Liberty is not only viable, it may be the perfect used car for the person who prefers diesels, and understands (or is willing to learn) CRD's

Anyone else, it seems, ends up neglecting it, then taking it to the dealer, who finishes trashing the vehicle, sends it for scrap, and convinces them to buy a replacement vehicle.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:51 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:

I seriously believe that this forum would be perhaps 10% or less as flourishing and active as it is, if not for GDE, IDParts, Sasquatch, JBA, All-J, and even folks like SirSam, Tommudd, Papaindigo, TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK, etc. etc.
Having sources of quality repair, and maintenance parts/products,
Years of experience and knowledge,
innovation type parts that eliminate weaknesses,
people that encourage, even insist on modifications and practices that work as desired, that are safe, that will not contribute to a bad image or reputation of these Jeeps,
and people that have maintained and made readily available volumes of service manuals, nifty MODs, and past and ongoing experiments,
and a phenomenal knowledge base like this forum,
is absolutely cornerstone to the viability of the Jeep and other small CRD's, but especially the little niche Liberty.

If the internet, and such a community existed in the Sixties, Ralph Nader would have had a much different career, and the Corvair may have developed into a safe and popular car.

IMO the CRD Liberty is not only viable, it may be the perfect used car for the person who prefers diesels, and understands (or is willing to learn) CRD's

Anyone else, it seems, ends up neglecting it, then taking it to the dealer, who finishes trashing the vehicle, sends it for scrap, and convinces them to buy a replacement vehicle.

AGREED. The only caveat I would place on your post is that there is still some misinformation that is floating around the internet and on Jeep Forums like LOSTJEEPS.com. As time marches on these bad ideas get weeded out, (like the Elephant Hose Modification, apparently), and newer ideas take their place. Ultimately, however, it is up to the CRD owner himself or herself to do the research to find out what is best for their ride.

Nobody can be an absolute expert in all areas of service... today's vehicles are simply too complex to achieve this level of expertise. This is why I have limited myself to engine design fundamentals and the cooling system of the R428 engine that powers the CRD. There is plenty to learn just in this small category... like what happens when fundamental design changes take place in the cooling system and the bad things that can happen as a result; a-la the in-hose thermostat valve modification and its various incarnations. :roll:

I do not have the time or the inclination at this point in my life to learn about engine tuning, so I leave it to the experts that work on this category every day; like the people at Green Diesel Engineering. It is well worth my money to purchase a GDE tune at the prices they charge, rather than try to install a DIY tune and have to ask questions on LOSTJEEPS.com, Facebook and elsewhere to get it to work correctly. The GDE tunes are plug and play, and are superior tunes to the DIY tunes because of the detail that goes into the engineering of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Nobody can be an absolute expert in all areas of service... today's vehicles are simply too complex to achieve this level of expertise.

I do not have the time or the inclination at this point in my life to learn about engine tuning, so I leave it to the experts that work on this category every day; like the people at Green Diesel Engineering. It is well worth my money to purchase a GDE tune at the prices they charge, rather than try to install a DIY tune and have to ask questions on LOSTJEEPS.com, Facebook and elsewhere to get it to work correctly. The GDE tunes are plug and play, and are superior tunes to the DIY tunes because of the detail that goes into the engineering of them.

I apologize for not making myself more clear. This is the very point I was trying to express.

One of the main things that makes the CRD Liberty a viable used car is the breadth and depth of expertise available to us, due to not one, but many, who have taken the time and interest to become true experts in the aspects that they choose. This includes those who service these vehicles on a professional basis, private owners who apply their own separate areas of expertise to relevant areas of the Jeep CRDs, as well as private individuals who have researched, experimented, and consulted with relevant industry experts and professionals, and share their gained knowledge.

The ones I listed were by no means a complete list, but the ones that came to mind in the moment of composition.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:29 am 
LOST Newbie

Both Geordi and Sam reached out to me, but I had the opportunity to buy what looked like a relatively well maintained CRD for $5k, with most major fixes having occured in the last two years. The PO owned it a year and put 20k miles on it commuting just over 100miles a day for work. He owned 3 other diesel trucks, and knew about all the quirks of the car.

So yeah, $5k, 154k miles, 2005 champagne sport model. Only two issues is a coolant low light on and reservoir is a little low, but I picked up some MOAT (confirmed with PO that was what he filled after doing serpentine and thermostat). Other issue is a chirping/squeeking at idle. I'm going to stethoscope the different serpentine idlers and bearings to see if I can narrow it down. Certainly not a looker, but its a good 5 footer. Planning to paint all the grey/faded trim and the wheels. Trying to remind myself its supposed to be my reliable daily driver and that I can always mod my other cars more... The thermostat does stick to basically 12noon, but I've read that others typically sit at 10 or 11 oclock, and run too cool. Is the 12noon a sign of a healthy cooling system or something not right unless you're running the machined thermostat with higher temp that one of the users on here makes?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:47 am 
LOST Addict

Pressure wash the faded trim/plastics and then use a heat gun on the them. See if you like those results first before painting.

FYI I have a DRBIII here in FoCo if you need any of the dealer typical configuration.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:16 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
krautastic wrote:
Both Geordi and Sam reached out to me, but I had the opportunity to buy what looked like a relatively well maintained CRD for $5k, with most major fixes having occured in the last two years. The PO owned it a year and put 20k miles on it commuting just over 100miles a day for work. He owned 3 other diesel trucks, and knew about all the quirks of the car.

So yeah, $5k, 154k miles, 2005 champagne sport model. Only two issues is a coolant low light on and reservoir is a little low, but I picked up some MOAT (confirmed with PO that was what he filled after doing serpentine and thermostat). Other issue is a chirping/squeeking at idle. I'm going to stethoscope the different serpentine idlers and bearings to see if I can narrow it down. Certainly not a looker, but its a good 5 footer. Planning to paint all the grey/faded trim and the wheels. Trying to remind myself its supposed to be my reliable daily driver and that I can always mod my other cars more... The thermostat does stick to basically 12noon, but I've read that others typically sit at 10 or 11 oclock, and run too cool. Is the 12noon a sign of a healthy cooling system or something not right unless you're running the machined thermostat with higher temp that one of the users on here makes?

Thermostat at high noon is functioning properly. Chirping at idle is the alternator pulley - Replace the pulley now (keep the alternator especially if it is a DENSO as that is the original and very high quality Japanese) and look at the serpentine tensioner - if it is bouncing a lot AFTER you have replaced the alternator clutched pulley, then you may need to think about replacing the serp tensioner. Same goes if you look at it and the center is "split" and / or it is up against the power steering pulley or crooked.

Plastic restorer will do wonders for the trim, try that first.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.