It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeep Liberty extended studs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

The following applies to My 2005 Liberty CRD, yours may differ:

I bought a set of 17x8 Mustang "Bullit" style rims for my Libby. I decided on 255/60 tires, which interfere slightly at the upper A-arm, necessitating spacers. with 245, you might get by….
In addition, the Mustang hub is 70.3, slightly smaller than the 71.5 on my Jeep.
Absent some kind of spacer, you'd have to bore the backside of the rim a bit, and Im not equipped for that.

With 1/4" spacers, I can just slip my pinkies through the gap. However, the lug doesn't reach enough stud to be safe. The rear clears without the spacer, but I plan to space equal front & rear. I don't deny that's a little bit anal…

Front:
At NAPA, I found 2" studs for a late Crown Vic (rear) that fit nicely and offer 4 more threads than the originals.
Balkamp 641-4222
Nice little upgrade if you just need another 1/4" of threads.

Rear:
Dorman 610-287 studs to fit a variety of Dodge pickups.
Nearly 2", it also affords about 4 more threads of contact.

If you are breaking studs every other day, you could go to a Dorman 610-389, also for Dodge pickups.
It features 9/16 thread, and is similar in length to the 610-287.

With 1/2" thick spacers, the sidewall clears the A-arm by more than 1/2". At that point, the nuts only grab maybe 1 thread, so its an entirely different ball of wax.
I favor this solution only because they are hub centric, a feature I can't find on a 1/4 spacer.

For the Front:
Moser offers a P/N 8020, and Moroso makes a kit with nuts, P/N 46480, that you can find on the Bay.
they are 3" long, and are meant for late Mustang rear in a racing application. Likely very good stuff.
Notably, it is also indicated for Chrysler front 2005 & up.

Rear:
ARP offers kit 100-7705, 3.15" long. Fitment for F-150, Explorer, and-believe it or not, the Liberty!
Quite by accident that I discovered the Liberty application…

Lug Nuts:
My wheels favor the ET style nuts, which have a 5/8" projection that helps align the wheel.
I got nuts labeled "Acorn Conical Seat", which are 1 3/4 long, and threaded most of the way.
The wheels had to be slightly relieved with a 5/8 drill.

Hope this helps, Id post pics if only I knew how… :roll:

Post subject: Re: Jeep Liberty extended studs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the post!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete