It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 05 crd limp mode problem! please help!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok so I disconnected the MAF, ECV, Cleaned the MAP and did the EHM. Went to start it and no crank whatsoever. The starter did click at first and eventually it started. I had plugged the MAF back in when it would not crank thinking I had screwed something up with all I had unplugged but then I unplugged it while it was finally running and it shut off instantly. Then I could not get it to crank at all no matter what. I could feel the relay snapping. Tapped the starter with a hammer. Battery is new. Bought it Monday. I still hooked up the charger/starter but no good. So now I am really stumped. My gut feel is the starter is bad but it really seems odd that it shut off when I unplugged the MAF.

So I need more CRD schooling........

Thanks for the help,
Randy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

You may want to follow your gut on this one. The items you mention could cause a limp mode. But I don't really see them causing a no crank situation. Sounds like the starter may be the culprit on that one. Then you may have to work out some additional problems. I do agree it's odd that it shut off on you. It should still crank though

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl
4.10s with a detroit locker in the rear and e-locker up front
Next up....skids and GDE eco FT.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Agreed. I will try to get a new starter today. Can just a new solenoid be fitted? I think that is what is bad. I have changed them on tractor starters before.

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Have the one that you removed tested to make sure that it is bad.

Autozone can do that for free.

Make sure all the grounds for the electrical harness are connected properly.

2 ground connections below the AC condenser on the passenger side fender.
1 ground connection above the coolant reservoir on the fire wall.
1 ground connection above the fuel head/filter on the fire wall.
1 ground connection on the driver side wheel well behind the headlight. This one is usually the culprit and very difficult to access.
1 main ground connection at the engine block near the starter. This may be your culprit too.

Clean the connections with a wire brush and apply dielectric grease before reattaching.

Here is what I do to the ground wire connections to clean them. I learned this from an old timer. Mix white vinegar and lots of salt in a small plastic cup and dip the ground wire connector along with an inch portion of the shielded wire in the solution for a minute or two, then remove it and dip it in another cup of water and baking soda solution for a minute, dry it with a dry towel, apply dielectric grease to the connection, stud or nut on the body and reattach.

Or you can use D5S-6-DeoxIT spray https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxI ... B00006LVEU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:47 am 
LOST Newbie

Good info and advice. I already ordered a new one from Rockauto as I cannot imagine a ground failing that quickly. But I will still clean them as you advise. I also plan to take the solenoid off and see it the contacts can be cleaned.

I am not surprised the starter died as the Jeep had sat for well over a year and the owner tried starting it with a dead battery, then a starter pack, then jumping it..... That was Monday when I went to pick it up before I watched it turn over a couple times then die. He did that probably 6 times at least then I said please stop and let me just buy a new battery..... I know that is terrible on a starter.

I also ordered a code reader from Amazon. I don't know why the key off and on three times wont work on this as it has done on other jeeps and my dodge truck. I thought all Chryslers had that feature.

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My jeep sat inoperable for 5 years in the damp climate of Metairie Louisiana and the starter never went bad.

In the 9 years of ownerships and being a member of this board, I have never heard of a starter failure, never.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 am 
LOST Newbie

Well I am not sure what else to try. I will be surprised if it is not bad but at the same time not a lot if it is something else. There was a bag with fuses and relays on the seat when I got in it so I know work had been done that I don't know about. And the fan removed from in front of the radiator.

All I can do is keep working thru issues. The code reader should help when it arrives.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Another thing that really confuses me is the radio dying when the ETC light came on...........

Of course shutting off when I unplugged the MAF sensor is a bit confusing also.

I really wish I had more time to work on the CRD. But a job gets in the way of that............... :evil:

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check all harness connections for continuity, long process ... harnesses are starting to come up on the forum these days as having continuity issues. The diesel rattle shakes and snaps wires at or near the connectors over time.... a member suggested using the Black Liquid Tape applied to the small wires just near the connectors at the most sensitive areas .. injectors and sensors at the top of the engine area and those sensors near the air box and around the valve cover. Apply a small dab of the liquid tape where wires meet the connectors, holds the wires firmly in place after the liquid dries.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Performix-Li ... e/16888975

or

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-4-oz ... k/16351039

or

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LTB-400-Liqu ... /691269418

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I wondered if I disturbed the Rail pressure sensor directly above the MAP sensor when I removed it for cleaning. It was completely blocked with carbon by the way which I cleaned with carb cleaner.

I read that if that is unplugged it will do bad things but could not get it unplugged easily so left it but I may try harder tonight. I am also going to check all the grounds as suggested, especially the one next to the starter.

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Reckard wrote:
I wondered if I disturbed the Rail pressure sensor directly above the MAP sensor when I removed it for cleaning. It was completely blocked with carbon by the way which I cleaned with carb cleaner.

I read that if that is unplugged it will do bad things but could not get it unplugged easily so left it but I may try harder tonight. I am also going to check all the grounds as suggested, especially the one next to the starter.

Randy

if you removed that sensor and exposed the rail to air.. then that may be your problem... the high-pressure fuel supply needs to be under pressure and free of air... it will take some time to remove the air...

Hence the reason why you cranked with no start.

The battery needs to be at 13. v just before cranking and remain there for the ECU to function properly, the fuel pressure to be reading the optimal pressure before any fuel will ignite.

Read about the process to remove the air from the rail somewhere on this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did not remove the Rail Pressure sensor. Only the MAP sensor. I just wondered if I disturbed the connector.

I read that if the connector was unhooked it caused issues unlike the MAF that does not need plugged in.

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

well i think in this scenario , previous owner left a big mess on you to sorted it out, he left fuses and relays out , removed e fan that probably caused overheating issues, i believe he caused more problems , anyway you need to start thinking opposite then he did, think smart .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

well I found the no crank issue. racertracer was correct doubting the starter. I immediate issue was fuse 14 in the panel inside. I took it for a drive and the battery light came on and many other lights. Got back to the garage and checked the votage. It was about 10 volts and dropping with a brand new battery. So apparently the alternator is bad.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

good alternator goes to a bench test , no guess work ,, well done , remember on this forum , there are electricians as far as south Africa , so just ask and , we have guys that knows and share their knowledge .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

I would never guessed it was a fuse. And it appears the bad alternator was causing all kinds of warning lights... abs, airbag, etc, brake, batt ....

I'm just glad it wasn't a bad connector somewhere...

new alternator is ordered. Be here Monday ... :)

Is there anything special I should know about replacing....

I am learning there are many nuances to this vehicle..

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:10 pm 

Reckard wrote:
I would never guessed it was a fuse. And it appears the bad alternator was causing all kinds of warning lights... abs, airbag, etc, brake, batt ....
I'm just glad it wasn't a bad connector somewhere...
new alternator is ordered. Be here Monday ... :)
Is there anything special I should know about replacing....
I am learning there are many nuances to this vehicle..
Randy

Hope you ordered the correct one!
These alternators require a special over-ride clutch pulley. Any new alternator specifically for this diesel vehicle should come installed with the correct pulley.
If it does not, do not use it!
Looking at the pulley, it should have a plastic cap in the end of the pulley covering the bearing.
Other than that, just be sure and disconnect the battery ground while swapping any electrical components. :wink:
best of luck!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Yep the one I ordered has the cap. The current on the crd does not have a cap but looks correct.

I learned the hard way many years ago about unhooking battery......................... :oops:

It is amazing the chunk that can be remove from a screw driver.............. :shock:

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:07 am 
LOST Newbie

So what needs removed to get the new Electric fan mounted? And can someone tell me the bolt size that holds it on? The previous owner that removed the fan lost the hardware... I also cannot see the wire harness but assume it is there somewhere...

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:02 pm 
LOST Member

Reckard wrote:
I tried the key on/off three times but it will not display codes. Does that not work on these? If not I will have to get a code reader.
You have to cycle the key 4 times on these in order for it to display codes. Also the last two digits are often swapped for some reason, so for example P1234 would show up as P1243.

Reckard wrote:
Where is the flow control valve you speak of? What do you clean it with?
It's like an electric throttle valve, located on the intake plumbing between the engine and battery. Not sure what you'd clean it with, maybe throttle body cleaner? Might require some scraping ... although it's upstream of the EGR pipe so I can't imagine it getting too gunked up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next