It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weird noise...aren't they all? Also still ABS code
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

So had a bearing noise or so I thought. Bearings did not feel smooth in any case. Replaced both with ABS sensors. New noise or maybe old noise but noise all the same continues...sounds like it increases with rotation and soft grinding. Also, ABS light came on and now no odometer. Speedo works though. Overhead control center does not work like miles to empty, etc.

So we checked the back of the rotors for the brake shields, of course there really weren't any. There's a little shield that protects the lower ball joint. Took it off, no change.

We saw the driver half shaft was leaking. Aha moment. Ordered that...it was fairly oily around there so needed maintenance any way. No change to the sound when we road tested that.

On the test drive, brake light also came on. Wow!!! What else is going on? We changed both front ABS lines and sensors. No change. Lights still on. But pass side cable was torn a bit from manipulating the rubber grommets where the cable attaches to the brake line.

So...noise and ABS/brake light on! Researched further and am told that the rear ABS sensor can cause the brake light to come on so check sensor/replace and check wiring. Just really weird that the ABS and now brake light go on after work done on the front ABS sensors. But, we did all that work simply since it was the last place we worked on.

As for the noise, what else rotates up front? Motor sounds fine by the way, this is something that disappears when the vehicle stands still. Also, things have to heat up as in the vehicle has to travel a bit and it gets louder.

Post subject: Re: Weird noise...aren't they all? Also still ABS code
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

By the way, what kind of tool is it that takes off the small bolt that holds the ABS sensor in? It looks like a hex bolt, but this one is 5 sided.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, wow, no answers...

Let me simplify...ABS light on, brake light on. Brake light comes on after going 10mph and over. Changed: all ABS sensors. Wiring from rear one goes into body. Up to that point it is not damaged. Any help?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:02 am 
LOST Member

What year is your KJ?

I do not have ABS on my old 2002 Export Sport CRD so I am not an expert on ABS!

However I have seen lots of problems like this on the various KJ sites and one common problem was the origin of the hubs and sensors ie. best to use OEM parts. :?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Much appreciated. Its an 06. I put in the Timken bearings, thought I had damaged the ABS sensors in the front reinstalling so i bought new ones and cables. No change. New rear sensor installed. Still an issue with the lights. Kind of frustrating. Timken gets good reviews from what I recall in my research.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

I'm basically worthless when it comes to body codes, so I'm responding simply to let you know that I have read your post!

Do you have a code reader, and is the vehicle throwing any codes? I don't know if a typical code reader can read ABS codes (I don't think they can) but it is worth checking. If you can't read codes, it would be worth taking it to a dealer to get the deeper codes read to see what is going on. At least that might give you a better idea of what is actually wrong instead of throwing good money after bad at an unidentified problem. Just my $.02

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:56 pm 
LOST Member

I think only the Dealers can read ABS codes.
Is your grinding noise not brakes binding?

The brake switch has a few circuits on it, one for cruise control, one to light up the rear brake lights and I believe the third one works in tandem with a brake sensor on the master cylinder....if the two are not in sync then I think the brake error lamp lights up.

Any funny problems on a 2006 CRD merits checking the cable harness behind the Fuel Filter Head Mounting Bracket....damage to the harness can be caused in that area :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:20 pm 
LOST Addict

vertrx7 wrote:
Much appreciated. Its an 06. I put in the Timken bearings, thought I had damaged the ABS sensors in the front reinstalling so i bought new ones and cables. No change. New rear sensor installed. Still an issue with the lights. Kind of frustrating. Timken gets good reviews from what I recall in my research.

There are two rear sensors in the 06 I believe. 06 has 4 wheel independent abs so they need separate sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
vertrx7 wrote:

There are two rear sensors in the 06 I believe. 06 has 4 wheel independent abs so they need separate sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, 06 is 4 channel with sensor at each wheel. 05 is 3 channel with a single rear sensor at the top of the diff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

OK, now I feel like an idiot. By that I mean I should have said its an 05. It has ONE sensor on top of the rear differential. I'm apologize for the confusion...on my part!

Thank you for the responses!!! I do agree that it is not mechanically proper to throw parts at it. When installing the wheel bearing ABS cables, I had to move some of the plastic brackets to match up to the attachment points on the vehicle. When moving the attachments on the cable, I ripped some of the covers off the cable since these points are glued on. I just replaced them with new sensors and cables. This was the last job I did before the lights came on. I did not take the negative off the battery when unplugging the connections under the hood, but I did not turn the car on either. I can't figure this out.

I did order a code reader with ABS capabilities for Chryslers. Hopefully it will work. I needed one anyway for a Cherokee with an issue I have. (Unfortunately won't work on a VW TDI!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 pm 
LOST Member

It is not likely that the one you ordered will read the ECU on the CRD Liberty. Many have reported only basic code reading capability with anything other than very high end code readers. Let us know if it actually works though, we are always looking for options.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Alright, so an update and a question.

I did hook up the code reader and it read the ABS codes, telling me that the front sensors, right and left are inoperative. Its also telling me that the brake light switch is open.

I was able to turn off the light but upon driving 10mph or more, the light popped back on and the brake light as well which sits under the Tach.

So, that makes sense since the wheel bearings are the last major thing I worked on. But I also installed new sensors and cables, bought separately after the ABS light went on.

So, here's a question. I did not see on the old sensors, nor on the new any kind of ABS ring to be installed. The sensor reaches inside the wheel bearing. So, no ring there. Is there something I missed when installing the bearings?

Further, the speedometer works as it has been but odometer is not working. Rear ABS sensor is not showing a fault.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:59 pm 
LOST Addict

vertrx7 wrote:

So, here's a question. I did not see on the old sensors, nor on the new any kind of ABS ring to be installed. The sensor reaches inside the wheel bearing. So, no ring there. Is there something I missed when installing the bearings?

The ring is inside the hub, on the bearing.
If you peek into the hole with a light you should be able to see it. Although it may be covered in grease.

If your hub bearings do not have the ring, then someone screwed up in assembling the hubs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

OK, well that explains why there was no separate ring to be seen. The new ones are on, so can't really look inside of them But makes sense.
So now on to figure why the front isn't working and why the odometer isn't working as well as all the computer functions on the upper console. Just plain weird!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

when your abs sensors aren't working, your odometer doesn't work. Your overhead evic is looking for info as well, and not getting any is being wacky.

Fix whatever is wrong with the front abs sensors /cables/connections (screwed up install or defective parts) and you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you. Answers the question of the odometer not reading and overhead console not reading.

Trying to do some research on the wheel bearing but they are the same part number right or left. We installed the new sensors based on their right and left orientation. So, I did read on another site that there could be an air pocket at the plug end under the hood. But, both plugs? Something to check I guess...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

installed by what looked like left and right orientation or installed by putting the correct part number on the correct side?

they are different

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

The wheel sensors are the same part number.

I used the part numbers to orient the new sensors and their harnesses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

vertrx7 wrote:
The wheel sensors are the same part number.

I used the part numbers to orient the new sensors and their harnesses.

ok, if you are sure, I recalled from mine needing replacement (dealer forgot to put clips on after LBJ recall and tire rims rubbed thru sensor wires, after which the ODO didnt work, abs light came on) that there was a left and right, I went and looked and all the auto parts places agree with me, but your CRD must be the one with the same on both sides.

My bad, sorry for trying to help and lead you astray.

Best of luck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

No Sir, thank you for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Another late day and I misspoke. The Wheel Bearings are interchangeable according to Rock Auto. Timken carries the same number. The sensor wires are left and or right specific, so you are correct. I did install new sensor wires and at install, I actually brought up the Rock Auto website to double check which side went with which part number.