It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty Turbo Opinions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Like the title says I would like some opinions on my wifes liberty crd. I just did the head gasket, rockers, ARP studs, full egr delete about 20k miles ago. I pulled the upper silicone hot side intercooler hose, which was new when I did the head gasket, because it had rubbed a little bit and I wanted to make sure it didnt rub through. I noticed that there is a little oil residue in the thing which makes me think turbo seal failure. It should be spotless because the PCV has been re routed since almost new and the hose is brand new as of 20K miles ago.

My next question is, if the turbo is going bad, what is the cheapest and most reliable source for a new turbo? The thing has been running great and consistently been putting down 34 mpg's on the last couple trips we have taken. All opinions are appreciated. It has also had a GDE eco tune in it since almost new as well.

Last edited by k5robnp on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Liberty Turbo Opinions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:46 am 

k5robnp wrote:
Like the title says I would like some opinions on my wifes liberty crd. I just did the head gasket, rockers, ARP studs, full egr delete about 20k miles ago. I pulled the upper silicone hot side intercooler hose, which was new when I did the head gasket, because it had rubbed a little bit and I wanted to make sure it didnt rub through. I noticed that there is a little oil residue in the thing which makes me think turbo seal failure. It should be spotless because the PCV has been re routed since almost new and the hose is brand new as of 20 miles ago.

My next question is, if the turbo is going bad, what is the cheapest and most reliable source for a new turbo? The thing has been running great and consistently been putting down 34 mpg's on the last couple trips we have taken. All opinions are appreciated. It has also had a GDE eco tune in it since almost new as well.

CCV hose routed to where? :?:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Its routed to a catch can then to the atmosphere right behind the front bumper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I hate it when my post disappears or whatever. Anyway pull the airbox to turbo hose (if torn just in front of turbo then replace); grab turbo fan and wiggle it; slight (playing card thick or less) fore/aft movement and barely perceptible side to side movement = turbo is ok. Slight oil leakage to CAC hose is no big deal.

Best sources for new turbo IMHO idParts or Sasquatchparts. Don't forget to soak turbo to exhaust manifold nuts for 24 hrs with like PB Blaster before attempting to remove and remember new oil feed line copper crush washers and drain line gasket.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 am 

k5robnp wrote:
Its routed to a catch can then to the atmosphere right behind the front bumper

Have you seen this thread?
> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80491
If not, you may want to read through it! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks for the info. I don't have time to read the entire thing but I have not had any issues regarding seals and the EHM has been on there since almost new. This still doesn't really have anything to do with my turbo outputting a small amount of oil into the Charge air pipe. I do have to add a half a quart between oil changes but that doesnt bother me much and I would rather have a clean intake tract. We dont tow with the little thing because I have 2 other tow vehicles so it only see's light highway duty.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:15 pm 
LOST Addict

I agree with Papa.
A tiny amount of oil leakage from the turbo is no big deal.
Do the wiggle test. If good, keep driving on.
At your next oil change, do the wiggle test again and repeat at every oil change.

If it really bothers you, get the sasquatch turbo.

I've got over 200k miles on my turbo. I'm sure it leaks some oil. Not enough for me to worry about. And it passes the wiggle test.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
x2
or 3? Whatever,..
I agree.

If it's not tripping boost faults, a little oil is no big deal. Use good oil. Change it religiously. or.. I'm sure you know what I mean.

If the bit of oil heading to the CAC REALLY bothers you, cut the turbo to CAC hose and put in a T fitting, and cap the third as a bottom-side dropout. The oil will drop into the capped area, and the air will flow without restriction. IMHO it will solve that problem but probably create other issues later, just more fittings that can develop leaks or whatever other problems.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set