It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low compression after runaway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All,
I just picked up another CRD that needs some love. This one suffered a runaway due to a turbo failure. I don't know how long the runaway lasted. I only know that the PO stopped it by blocking the intake. He said that he was able to run it again after removing the turbo. But a compression test revealed that it now has low compression on two cylinders.
I am wondering how likely it would be that the damage is limited to collapsed lifters, broken rockers and/or damaged valves. It would be great if I could salvage the bottom end, but my gut tells me that it could be anything if the oil was consumed to a point where it caused bottom end damage or if it redlined too long before it was killed.
The price that I paid was based on the assumption that the engine would need to be replaced or completely rebuilt. The Jeep is in otherwise good condition and just had a brand new OME lift and BFG AT's installed shortly before the runaway. He had already deleted the EGR with Weeks Stage 1&2 and installed new Samco's. He even threw in the WeatherTech floor liners.
My search here resulted in quite a few threads discussing the theory of diesel runaway. But I didn't find anything indicating an actual experience with a CRD runaway.
I know this is one of those situations where the severity of the damage is going to depend on many factors. Just wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences and whether or not they were able to repair or had to replace the engine.

07 WK CRD - GDE Eco Tune
04 WJ 4.0 - RC 4" lift

Post subject: Re: Low compression after runaway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The only CRD runaway that I recall posted on LOST was a brief one related to oil in the intercooler but I do not recall the details of how; IIRC the engine was ok as the runaway only lasted seconds. A runaway is unlikely but not impossible on a CRD. The "normal" source of a runaway seems to be atmospheric fuel but I presume it's possible for a catastrophic CRD turbo failure to dump enough oil into the system to fuel a runaway and no the flow control valve is not programmed to stop a runaway. The only way to stop it would be to cut air flow to the intake although how the PO did that I don't know.

If the runaway occurred not on the highway and if it was stopped quickly and if substantial oil remains if the sump you might have escaped too much damage to the engine. That said if it was mine to fiddle with I'd pull the engine so you can do a full inspection of the top and bottom end to see if the engine can be salvaged. Off hand I'd suspect crank and rod bearing damage due to oil starvation; piston rings shot; and possibly head damage (rockers/lifters and maybe valves).

Other than these comments I'll be interested in what others say.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

I believe the flow control valve (provided it is still installed) closes for about twenty seconds after you turn the key off. This prevents "run on" and should also stop a runaway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 pm 
LOST Member

stp2136 wrote:
I believe the flow control valve (provided it is still installed) closes for about twenty seconds after you turn the key off. This prevents "run on" and should also stop a runaway.

Good golly miss Molly...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78562

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

like PAPA said , the best thing in this case is full inspection , disassembly , and go over everything , i seen 2 stroke detroit , CAT 3406 , mack E6 engine damage after runway , some do to blown turbo , some do to improper fuel pump settings procedure , timing advance unit going bad etc ,all no good . yes it is harder to runway ecu controlled engine but it is possible .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:23 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
My limited experience with Runaway diesels, is that motor oil burns differently and much hotter than injected diesel, especially when a turbo is involved. With this head design its less likely to suffer damage there, except for possible heat damage between the exhaust valves. I would look most closely in the combustion chamber area in the piston crown. Hopefully the piston cooling jets had enough oil left to do their job.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks All for the feedback. I guess I have another big project waiting for me after I finish my current one. I really only bought this one because it had the new lift and tires. I was just going to remove them for use on one of my others and keep the rest of it around for parts. But it does seem like a shame to pilfer parts off a potentially rescuable CRD.

07 WK CRD - GDE Eco Tune
04 WJ 4.0 - RC 4" lift