It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cummins crate 2.8
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:40 pm 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Cummins 2.8 Re-Power Update 9/25/2017

Greetings Fellow Enthusiasts,

I’m Steve Sanders, Program Leader for Cummins Repower™ – the new crate engine business of Cummins Inc. which is bringing the R2.8 Turbo Diesel to market.

I’ve personally communicated with many of you on this distribution list over the past few years while we were crafting this program. We share the same passion and addiction for unique, reliable, and most importantly - fun personal transportation. I couldn’t be more excited to announce that the start of sales is finally here!

We have worked feverishly since our announcement at the SEMA Show in 2016 to ensure that our first crate engine we bring to market doesn’t disappoint. To show our appreciation for each of you who have eagerly and patiently been awaiting this day, we wanted to give you all an exclusive heads-up and first chance to buy before our press release goes on the afternoon of September 29.

We are limiting quantities for 2017 to 500 engines so if you urgently need an engine, be ready to act quickly on Friday, September 29 at 9 a.m. Eastern at http://www.CumminsRepower.com. The only way to buy a Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel will be through our website so be sure to secure yours as early as possible!

You’re not just getting an engine. Our team is made up of Enthusiasts just like you so we know how disappointing it can be to open a new box of toys only to find out that you have to do homework and order more parts to make it work. We are essentially providing everything you need to start your engine with the exception of a battery, cooling package, and of course, diesel fuel!

Our kit (PN 5467046) also includes:

Complete front-end accessory drive (Alternator, Power Steering Pump, Fan Hub, Serpentine Belt)
Cam-Driven Vacuum Pump
Remote Fuel Filter/Water Separator
Remote Oil Filter
Mass Airflow Sensor and Housing
Engine Wiring Harness and Engine Control Module
Starter

Flywheel
Universal Vehicle Wiring Harness
Throttle Pedal
J1939 CAN Dash Display
Owner’s Manual
Installation Guide
Cummins Quick Serve Online Access
Emissions Testing Information

I look forward to following each of your Cummins Repowers, hearing your impressions of our new crate engine, and telling us what you want us to do next! If you aren’t quite ready or we sell out, don’t worry - we’re ramping up supply as we speak for 2018!

Very Respectfully,

Steve Sanders
Program Leader – Cummins Repower™
Cummins Inc.

is your URL working? Fails on both Safari and Chrome....

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:26 pm 
LOST Member

taroo wrote:
is your URL working? Fails on both Safari and Chrome....
For me it redirects to https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx but the page loads ok.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Works fine on Firefox

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:17 pm 
LOST Addict

This thing is kind of a joke at $9000. 160/267 is pretty weak and if you are gunna be stuffing it in some 1990's pick up or SUV(its tier 0/1 emissions so it cant go in anything newer than 1999) with meaty off-road tires and what not, it's not gunna be fun. I mean my Liberty with 265/70R16 Duratracs couldnt turn the tires on the stock tune at all on any kind of hill. Even with the GDE hot tune it was a bit unhappy, but did much better. It wasnt until I made my own tune recently and bumped it to 400 ft-lbs and dropped the torque down lower in the RPM's that it was really able to easily turn the Duratracs in 5th gear below 65mph.

I dont think its going to be easily tuned up without a turbo swap. It's not a VNT turbo from what I can tell, which means in order to get it to spool well and make the low end torque like it does it probably has to be pretty small. This means it suffers in the top end and chokes up. You go to a bigger turbo and now you are stuck with poor spool in an effort to make decent power.

You could get a GM 6.0L V8 that probably makes just as much low end torque, it indestructible, and is making 2x the HP for dirt cheap out of any 20xx GM pickup. There must be a million of them out there. The aftermarket is huge and you can pretty much already put them in any vehicle from a Miata to a 4Runner.

Who knows though. Maybe someone will come out with a compound turbo kit and it will be a beast.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:38 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
This thing is kind of a joke at $9000. 160/267 is pretty weak and if you are gunna be stuffing it in some 1990's pick up or SUV(its tier 0/1 emissions so it cant go in anything newer than 1999) with meaty off-road tires and what not, it's not gunna be fun. I mean my Liberty with 265/70R16 Duratracs couldnt turn the tires on the stock tune at all on any kind of hill. Even with the GDE hot tune it was a bit unhappy, but did much better. It wasnt until I made my own tune recently and bumped it to 400 ft-lbs and dropped the torque down lower in the RPM's that it was really able to easily turn the Duratracs in 5th gear below 65mph.

I dont think its going to be easily tuned up without a turbo swap. It's not a VNT turbo from what I can tell, which means in order to get it to spool well and make the low end torque like it does it probably has to be pretty small. This means it suffers in the top end and chokes up. You go to a bigger turbo and now you are stuck with poor spool in an effort to make decent power.

You could get a GM 6.0L V8 that probably makes just as much low end torque, it indestructible, and is making 2x the HP for dirt cheap out of any 20xx GM pickup. There must be a million of them out there. The aftermarket is huge and you can pretty much already put them in any vehicle from a Miata to a 4Runner.

Who knows though. Maybe someone will come out with a compound turbo kit and it will be a beast.

Did you really say $9000?! Surely that was a typo!!!

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:33 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm not sure about the emissions thing. The've put one in a street driven JK with no emissions issues, in CA.

I don't think they've aimed this at the full size truck market. It's mostly for smaller 4 or 6 cylinder pickups or SUVs with worn out engines and people want to stick with that vehicle but get better mileage.

Considering the price point, there are always other options, and good ones too, if you're not into what this offers, or it's out of your price range. But it is an option we didn't have before, and there are people who want this above those other options, for whatever reasons of their own. Generally I believe people that want these, don't want them for high revving horsepower.

There is already a fairly large, and fast growing aftermarket that Cummins has chosen to work WITH to the benefit of whatever the customer wants, including adapters, exhaust, tunes, turbos. At this time they are providing close, and in some cases, hands-on support for the people buying these, in myriad variety of installs, from rock crawlers to boats. It's one reason they're limiting the number sold this year.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Last edited by GordnadoCRD on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:44 pm 
LOST Addict

taroo wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

Did you really say $9000?! Surely that was a typo!!!

Nope, $8999 starting price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:41 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I'm not sure about the emissions thing. The've put one in a street driven JK with no emissions issues, in CA.

I don't think they've aimed this at the full size truck market. It's mostly for smaller 4 or 6 cylinder pickups or SUVs with worn out engines and people want to stick with that vehicle but get better mileage.

Considering the price point, there are always other options, and good ones too, if you're not into what this offers, or it's out of your price range. But it is an option we didn't have before, and there are people who want this above those other options, for whatever reasons of their own. Generally I believe people that want these, don't want them for high revving horsepower.

There is already a fairly large, and fast growing aftermarket that Cummins has chosen to work WITH to the benefit of whatever the customer wants, including adapters, exhaust, tunes, turbos. At this time they are providing close, and in some cases, hands-on support for the people buying these, in myriad variety of installs, from rock crawlers to boats. It's one reason they're limiting the number sold this year.

You better get some serious mpg to justify spending $9000 on your worn out v6 SUV.

And I wasn't saying it was about high reving hp. I stated that it took a hell of a lot more than the base 295 ft-lbs on my jeep to comfortably turn just 31" duratracs, which are by no means a big tire. they probably put a tiny turbo on this to get good spool, since it doesn't have the advantage of a VNT. Put a bigger turbo on here to squeak out a better top end and you are likely hurting the low end.

It sounds like it's just to say you have diesel. I am having a very hard time coming up with another reason.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:51 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

You better get some serious mpg to justify spending $9000 on your worn out v6 SUV.

And I wasn't saying it was about high reving hp. I stated that it took a hell of a lot more than the base 295 ft-lbs on my jeep to comfortably turn just 31" duratracs, which are by no means a big tire. they probably put a tiny turbo on this to get good spool, since it doesn't have the advantage of a VNT. Put a bigger turbo on here to squeak out a better top end and you are likely hurting the low end.

It sounds like it's just to say you have diesel. I am having a very hard time coming up with another reason.

Personally, I agree with you. I would'nt pay that much for what it is, but that's just you and me.
I also believe that they're "testing the waters" to see how much the market will bear with the new product release.
At this point that's all there is, but with it going in everything from autos, to boats, to farm equipment, the used engine market will spark up pretty quickly, and prices will begin to drop.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

I will bet they only have it aimed at one market....yj, tj, and jk's.

Anyone else even buying it for another vehicle would be a bonus to them.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:29 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
mass-hole wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

Personally, I agree with you. I would'nt pay that much for what it is, but that's just you and me.
I also believe that they're "testing the waters" to see how much the market will bear with the new product release.
At this point that's all there is, but with it going in everything from autos, to boats, to farm equipment, the used engine market will spark up pretty quickly, and prices will begin to drop.

I wonder if they already had the long block developed so it was a simple thing for them to test the waters. Wasn't it a 2.8L Cummins that Nissan experimented with in the Frontier a year or two back? I wonder if they are gunna leverage their Titan XD/Cummins for the new frontier that's coming out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Might as well be 10k, you still need engine mounts and a transmission adapter. Go get 3 4BTs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:

Not legally,not a chance in hell.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mass-hole wrote:

Regardless of how much torque you have going to bigger tires and not compensating for it via the gears in the diffs(you would need to go to 4.10's) and reprogramming the the TCM for said tire size you will not have any power to turn those tires.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

aaronguy2k1 wrote:
Might as well be 10k, you still need engine mounts and a transmission adapter. Go get 3 4BTs

Yeah that weigh twice as much as what you got in your CRD right now and makes 90-110hp in stock form,be prepared to spend upwards of $20,000+ to get a 4BT to work in your computer controlled vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:16 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

Regardless of how much torque you have going to bigger tires and not compensating for it via the gears in the diffs(you would need to go to 4.10's) and reprogramming the the TCM for said tire size you will not have any power to turn those tires.

Mine does pretty well with my current tune. I can pretty much pull a 7% grade in 5th down to about 1700 rpm without it kicking down. If I go any bigger or heavier than 265/70's then regearing would be really beneficial.

Stock tune, no way. It would be in 4th or maybe even 3rd I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:35 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

Mine does pretty well with my current tune. I can pretty much pull a 7% grade in 5th down to about 1700 rpm without it kicking down. If I go any bigger or heavier than 265/70's then regearing would be really beneficial.

Stock tune, no way. It would be in 4th or maybe even 3rd I think.

$9000. Shoot me.

Just how many might they sell!?

Strange.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:28 am 
LOST Addict

I think the Cummins in the Nissan is a 5 litre V8 turbo CRD.

Quote:

My guess is that's their question too. No one else currently offers anything to compete directly with it, so they lose nothing by starting high and then coming down, whereas if they start low, and blow out of their production capacity, they make less money and look bad as a manufacturer.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Post subject: Cummins crate 2.8
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:35 am 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I think the Cummins in the Nissan is a 5 litre V8 turbo CRD.

Quote:

My guess is that's their question too. No one else currently offers anything to compete directly with it, so they lose nothing by starting high and then coming down, whereas if they start low, and blow out of their production capacity, they make less money and look bad as a manufacturer.

The Titan XD is a 5.0 V8 but Nissan made a prototype with the current body style frontier with a 2.8l and It was a Cummins.

https://www.nissanusa.com/future-and-co ... sel-runner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 am 
LOST Addict

Yeah it could be the same one I suppose. IDK

I'll bet that prototype was "testing the waters" to get feedback too.

{EDIT}
Hmm yeah, Carbon fiber valve cover, kevlar-plastic oil pan... it's sounding more like a "probably"

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set