It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Timing belt and Turbo change-out
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
They have a lifetime warranty for a reason,you will be using it often.

You buy air fresheners at autozone,not hard engine parts.

I've got a friend here that just went through that with Autozone remanufactured alternators. He had 5 straight defective ones, and I don't mean the worked a little while then quit, ALL of them were bad straight from the box.
When he took the 4th one back, they flat out accused him of doing something to make them go bad. He told them to pull the 5th one from the box and test it right there, but they had no tester at that store. They sent it to another store that tested it that afternoon. It was bad.. New in the box Reman.
He took a refund and shops at Napa now.
This can't be a local store problem, all of these came from their Reman supplier. I don't know who they are, but someone there had a really crappy day, and leveraged it into a crappy week for him.

Dean, I really hope your experience with them is not like that. I guess just drive it and worry about that bridge if it goes out.

A few years ago had the same issue at work with a Ford Escape alternator,the one that takes 3 hours to replace.

But I didn't have 5 that where bad out of the box I had 10,yep 10.Autozone refused to take them back saying there was nothing wrong with them till we called there corporate and got a rep out and had them all tested at a shop that rebuilds alternators and all 10 failed.They paid our store back all the labor since they had to pay me 33 hours for 1 vehicle to get a working alternator.

I will flat out refuse any part from autozone at work,don't care if it's a air freshener,I won't even look at it let alone recognize the fact there is a part there.I'm strictly a Napa,Factory Motor Parts,or OEM only tech,it get's old replacing the same part over and over on the same vehicle when a few bucks more would have gotten a good part from the start and make a happy customer instead of a very pissed off one that get's all his money back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:26 pm 

tjkj2002 wrote:
A few years ago had the same issue at work with a Ford Escape alternator,the one that takes 3 hours to replace.
But I didn't have 5 that where bad out of the box I had 10,yep 10.Autozone refused to take them back saying there was nothing wrong with them till we called there corporate and got a rep out and had them all tested at a shop that rebuilds alternators and all 10 failed.They paid our store back all the labor since they had to pay me 33 hours for 1 vehicle to get a working alternator.
I will flat out refuse any part from autozone at work,don't care if it's a air freshener,I won't even look at it let alone recognize the fact there is a part there.I'm strictly a Napa,Factory Motor Parts,or OEM only tech,it get's old replacing the same part over and over on the same vehicle when a few bucks more would have gotten a good part from the start and make a happy customer instead of a very pissed off one that get's all his money back.

Just curious you being in the business and all, do you bench test your alternators before installing them?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Just curious you being in the business and all, do you bench test your alternators before installing them?

No.

Reason why we have labor claims.If it doesn't work the supplier pay's the labor to install the next one and I get paid twice or however many times it takes to get a good one.

Granted we basically only use Napa now for alternators,starters,and water pumps to hasn't been a issue unless we have to get it from one of the less then steller quality parts houses like autozone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

This clamp is the reason the EGR supply tube came apart. I think it's one size too small. It will drive me to drink.
The sheet shim stock I have turned out to be 0.005" and 0.016" thick. I used the 0.005".

There must be a better style than this clamp. (Do I understand correctly it's call a "v-line clamp"?) I've used these with a T-bolt and those work great.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Replaced harmonic balancer.
Noise in front axle or 3rd member - removed loose chain in transfer case.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.
Sheared bolts on TC. Replaced flex plate, TC, bolts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:46 pm 

CaptainDean wrote:
This clamp is the reason the EGR supply tube came apart. I think it's one size too small. It will drive me to drink.
The sheet shim stock I have turned out to be 0.005" and 0.016" thick. I used the 0.005".
There must be a better style than this clamp. (Do I understand correctly it's call a "v-line clamp"?) I've used these with a T-bolt and those work great.
Dean.

They are called "V-Band Clamps" and come in different sizes. Google it, lots of them available!
Summit Racing list some nice "T" bolt style "V"-Band Clamps in many different sizes that are much better than the cheap screw type ones. :wink:
See:> https://www.summitracing.com/search/Par ... le/V-band/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks WWDiesel,

The Jeep dealer is in walking distance to my house. Jeep P/N 05142994AA (Difficult to tell from the 05kj_PARTS_FICHE image)

Item #4. Is the original part a screw-type or T-bolt style?

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:35 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
......what?

Sorry, I was distracted by the detailed notes on the pad the clamp was on. Looked interesting!

As far as I can tell from old pics before when I tossed it, the one on mine was a screw type like the one in your picture.

It's also possible that the on you have may fit better if you compress the pipe to the intake elbow with more forced, because you are also re-forming the thin metal. A better option might be to just assemble that back together with some sealer / antiseize stuff, and make the blockoff plate from WWDiesel's template detail out of the thicker stuff.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:38 am 
LOST Junkie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
......what?

Sorry, I was distracted by the detailed notes on the pad the clamp was on. Looked interesting!

It's also possible that the on you have may fit better if you compress the pipe to the intake elbow with more forced, because you are also re-forming the thin metal. A better option might be to just assemble that back together with some sealer / antiseize stuff, and make the blockoff plate from WWDiesel's template detail out of the thicker stuff.

GordnadoCRD,

Those notes are from the plan of a still I built a couple years ago. It was handy for a background and I wanted a drink after unsuccessfully messing with that V-Band hose clamp.

I did use a load-cinching ratchet strap to pull the pipe junction together while attempting to join them. Still walked away mumbling under my breath.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:59 pm 
LOST Addict

CaptainDean wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
......what?

It's also possible that the one you have may fit better if you compress the pipe to the intake elbow with more force, because you are also re-forming the thin metal. A better option might be to just assemble that joint back together with some sealer / antiseize stuff, and make the blockoff plate from WWDiesel's template detail out of the thicker stuff.

GordnadoCRD,

Those notes are from the plan of a still I built a couple years ago. It was handy for a background and I wanted a drink after unsuccessfully messing with that V-Band hose clamp.

I did use a load-cinching ratchet strap to pull the pipe junction together while attempting to join them. Still walked away mumbling under my breath.

Dean.

Wow, I should really do more proof-reading when I'm posting late!
I recognized the still plans, that's what distracted me. :wink:

By the time I got my EGR stuff out, I never wanted to deal with it again, so switching to the Weeks eliminator set was a given, but they are purchases that require budgeting for most of us. That's what makes the blockoff plates nice, is they are cheap and fairly easy to install, to experience the difference before making the final purchase.
Some have even left them in place + removed the FCV butterfly plate and called it good. This would be the preferred approach in areas where visual scrutiny is required for licensing, but it still doesn't solve the exhaust crossover pipe and potential for leakage that the weeks' system does.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:11 am 
LOST Junkie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Wow, I should really do more proof-reading when I'm posting late! I recognized the still plans, that's what distracted me. :wink:

By the time I got my EGR stuff out, I never wanted to deal with it again, so switching to the Weeks eliminator set was a given, but they are purchases that require budgeting for most of us. That's what makes the block-off plates nice, is they are cheap and fairly easy to install, to experience the difference before making the final purchase.

I'm in the 'need to budget club', so I will probably get a block-off plate in addition to adding the blocking disc at the FCV valve for now.

Contacted the Jeep dealer today and they do not have the V-Band clamp in stock. The guy on the phone didn't really know what I was talking about anyway.

So, tomorrow morning I will use the ratchet strap to pull the EGR pipe into better alignment, as well as make this V-Band hose clamp work better. A time will come along when I eliminate the EGR system in favor of the Weeks elbow tube.

For the immediate future, I need to get this Jeep back on the road, sell my huge '91 Dodge Ram diesel, and fix my roof.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:39 pm 
LOST Addict

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/__/CLAMP-Heater-Hose-CLAMP--CLAMP--Breather-Hose--CLAMP--Water-Hose--CLIP--CLIP--Hose-1996/6676410/05142994AA.html

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:45 am 
LOST Junkie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
By the time I got my EGR stuff out, I never wanted to deal with it again...

Finally got past the V-Band clamp. The key point was loosening the other end on the heat exchanger (1 bolt missing) and noticing the source pipe has a hollow to meet with the FCV mating fitting. Installed a brass shim sheet cut into a disc, and finally got those pipes connected and secured. No more soot coming into the intake! Tightened the heat exchanger end too.

--->> With the EGR blocked, will I need to unplug the FCV? <<---

Changed the power steering pump. Note: The new pump sounds a little clicky-clanky just like the old one when rotating it by hand.

Closed the front cover on the engine (17 small screws). Installed all the pulleys and the serpentine belt.

Got the AC condenser, intercooler, radiator in place but not bolted. It's been two weeks so I have to go watch the 'timing belt change' video again to remember the sequence of removal, to remind me of the sequence of installation.

Mmmmm. Beer tastes good.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:56 pm 

CaptainDean wrote:
--->> With the EGR blocked, will I need to unplug the FCV? <<---
Mmmmm. Beer tastes good.

Good for you for plugging the the stupid thing!
No need to unplug the FCV at this point, but I would recommend removing the flapper valve (butterfly) out of the FCV. Real easy, two little torx screws and its gone! see picture!

Two kinds of good beer, Cold and / or Free, or both! :5SHOTS: :ROTFL:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks WWDiesel,

The ol' girl is back on the road again. :BANANA: Have to fix a leaky heater hose on or near the viscous heater. First need to let it cool down.

There is one connector I did not find a mate for. Does anyone recognize it?

...and here's a close up.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Dead center underside the coolant reservoir / overflow tank.

That's for the coolant sensor that tells you when the level is low.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:34 pm 

CaptainDean wrote:
Thanks WWDiesel,
The ol' girl is back on the road again. :BANANA: Have to fix a leaky heater hose on or near the viscous heater. First need to let it cool down.
There is one connector I did not find a mate for. Does anyone recognize it?
...and here's a close up.
Dean.

First guess, Coolant tank level sensor?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:54 am 
LOST Junkie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Dead center underside the coolant reservoir / overflow tank. That's for the coolant sensor that tells you when the level is low.

Thank you GordnadoCRD,

After installing the tank, I felt around but never touched it. I'll grab that out tomorrow and get'r dun.

Today I was blessed with learning lesson number 23602: Don't ignore the oddly un-important part. :banghead:
Got the Jeep together but lost one rubber grommet for installing the radiator - the one the bolt goes through. It must have rolled down the steep driveway to the backyard and got lost in the weeds. So I installed the radiator with just one rubber grommet with the intent to get another soon.

Murphy dropped out of the sky... Without the grommet on the passenger side, the radiator slumped 3/8" allowing the viscous heater pulley to rub a hole in the upper radiator hose. Gaaaaa! :banghead:

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:00 am 
LOST Junkie

THANK YOU EVERYONE for helping me get through this 100,000-mile service !!

I could have managed it but having everyone ping-in helped me get through it sanely. Also, I would have 'cheaped-out' and only replaced the belt. THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!

So, now I'm back to normal maintenance. I'll continue to visit with everyone here on LostJeeps.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:22 am 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel & GordnadoCRD,

THANK YOU BOTH VERY MUCH for all your wisdom and patience. I just visited the "Membership" string but found there is no long a means to appease the holy grail with $ & ¢.

If site advertising holds this place together, I am very grateful. Thank you also moderatos Diggerfreek & KJs Moderators.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel wrote:
No need to unplug the FCV at this point, but I would recommend removing the flapper valve (butterfly) out of the FCV.

Two kinds of good beer, Cold and / or Free, or both! :5SHOTS: :ROTFL:

Thanks WWDiesel,

Removed the butterfly valve and replaced the upper radiator hose.

Have another issue. There is a squeal coming from the Serpentine belt area that sounds like a slipping fan belt. Only happens under acceleration.

I'm a little puzzled with the concept of a decoupler on the alternator. Why does an alternator have a decoupler? Why would the Serpentine belt tensioner sales ad have a warning about it?

I'm also wondering about the harmonic balancer possibly slipping.

Don't like looking the wise old gift horse in the mouth, but anyone have some great words of wisdom about this?

Glad I modified the fan shroud so it will come off easily.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next