It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a 101 for glow plug replacement
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have searched everywhere and found so many other topics on glow plugs....but I am really looking for the most generic description of how I can replace my glow plugs. Pictures/video would be EXTREMELY helpful.
Can anyone please help, or send the link where I can find this? Needs to be for a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD, thanks a million!

Post subject: Re: Need a 101 for glow plug replacement
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Its kinda like changing spark plugs.
Pull the wires off, remove and install new plugs, reconnect the wires.

The glow plugs are all on the intake side of the engine.
It can be a pain to get to all of them. Should require a 10mm wrench.
Removing the alternator can help you get to #1.
Removing the intake elbow can help you get to #2 and 3.

Best to soak them in some PBlaster before removing.
Take it easy, dont force them out.
The head is aluminum. If a plug gets stuck and you strip the threads you will have to remove the head to fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

UPDATE - Got the plugs removed!! Now I am trying to decipher the numbers, and whether these are the 5v or 7v? Here is what I saw on the glow plug:

00466-325
21-01-05-3-2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:41 pm 
LOST Addict

There should be a color coded plastic ring near the connection point.
The sticker on the timing cover should tell you the glow plug voltage.

Either way, you really cant go wrong with 5v plugs.
Even if you have a 7v system. Just means that the 5v plugs might burn out faster.
Or just play it safe and get the 7v plugs. But if you have cold starting problems in the winter then you might want to switch to the 5v plugs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:52 pm 

5v or 7v really depends on where you are located and how cold it gets during winter starts! :roll:
Share with us where you are located and some members can advise you as to best course of action....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:02 pm 
LOST Member

If you have 7volt glow plugs and went to 5v will you get a check engine light or not?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:01 pm 
LOST Member

No, you shouldn't get a check engine light.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Okay - don't all laugh out loud at once...I was initally pulling out the fuel injectors when I thought they were glow plugs :shock:
I am learning lol - but it also gave me a good opportunity to clean up the injectors, replace the o-rings and gaskets, and call them good for awhile.
I ended up getting the 7v glow plugs. I live at 9000', and now we are quite chilly.
Since replacing, my engine is having a hard time starting. Takes me about 5 minutes to get her going...but timing wise, I replaced the glow plugs right before the cold weather started, so who knows if they were a problem already - they were still the ceramic ones!!!!

So - now I need some ideas...

Here's what I got:
I only see the glow plug light turn on for half a second
The check engine light is on all the time, even after several attempts at a hard reset (positive battery terminal off, etc)
I have to work on starting the jeep, cranking multiple times over 5 minutes or so
Blowing lots of gray and dark gray smoke out of the exhaust
I keep the block heater plugged in all night and anytime I am parked for over 2 hours

Thanks for the help everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:02 pm 
LOST Addict

First, get a code scanner and find out why the CEL is coming on.

With your cold winters and high altitude, you’d be better off with 5v plugs.

That said...

Three years ago I put in a fresh set of etecno 7v plugs. Known poor performing plugs.
Then went on a cross country December trip.
Survived cold morning starts in Durango CO, Moab UT, Ely NV, and Carson City.
Every morning required use of block heater and multiple cycles of the glow plugs to get it started.

(Socorro NM was really difficult. Wasn’t able to park near an electrical outlet the night before. Wouldn’t start in the morning and had to push it to a nearby place to plug in the block heater and charge the battery.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:19 pm 
LOST Member

skifast84 wrote:
I ended up getting the 7v glow plugs. I live at 9000', and now we are quite chilly.
Since replacing, my engine is having a hard time starting. Takes me about 5 minutes to get her going...
For a cold start, ignore the glow plug light; it doesn't actually indicate when the glow plugs stop heating up. Turn the key to "On", wait for the seat belt chimes to stop. Once they stop, turn the key "Off", then back to "On" and wait for the seat belt chimes to stop again. Once the chimes stop, then try starting the engine. That should hopefully help.

Use the 120 volt block heater if you have an available outlet near where you park. If not, you may want to consider a 12 volt intake heater setup from SasquatchParts or a diesel-fired Webasto heater (expensive, but everyone seems to have good things to say about them).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
You unfortunately bought the wrong plugs. You want the 5 V plugs with the 7V programming. That will make them run hard enough to start acceptably in most conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:36 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. Okay, so I get to go through the glow plug shenanigans again...oh joy...
What about needing a new control module if I convert to the 5v? I thought I saw that on the idParts video. What I pulled out when putting the 7v's in, was the original ceramic glow plugs, and they too were the 7v, which is why I think I'll need a new control module.

The code I am getting is P0610 - lots of forum stuff on that, but still, I don't know what to try first....flashing the ECU or TCM? I am having tranny problems, and a flush did not fix, so I need to get in there again.

And I am fortunate to be parked inside by an outlet...but I travel for ski season, so I definitely need a block heater to work.

Thanks again everyone :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:48 am 

skifast84 wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Okay, so I get to go through the glow plug shenanigans again...oh joy...
What about needing a new control module if I convert to the 5v? I thought I saw that on the idParts video. What I pulled out when putting the 7v's in, was the original ceramic glow plugs, and they too were the 7v, which is why I think I'll need a new control module.
The code I am getting is P0610 - lots of forum stuff on that, but still, I don't know what to try first....flashing the ECU or TCM? I am having tranny problems, and a flush did not fix, so I need to get in there again.
And I am fortunate to be parked inside by an outlet...but I travel for ski season, so I definitely need a block heater to work.
Thanks again everyone :)

According to what several on LOST have done, they simply installed 5v glow plugs on their current 7v systems without changing anything else, i.e. relay, etc... or having the computer reflashed to accommodate the 5v GP's. So far, no one on this forum have reported any negative problems by doing so! Most have reported much better cold weather starting performance using the 5v GP's on the 7v system. :P

As to the P0610 DTC, I would suggest you contact Keith at Green Diesel Engineering, I have read he is able to fix this problem with a computer reflash without having to replace the OBC. May save you a bunch of $$$! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
AFAIK the primary difference between the 7V and 5V control solenoids, is the 5V are capable of slightly more amperage.

HOWEVER, a number of vehicles, including mine, are running 5V plugs with 7V controllers over the last year (+) and have no ill effects, either with the controllers or with the plugs.

SO with the price asked for 5V controllers, I would be tempted to just use the plugs I want with the controller I have. Which, in fact, is what I'm doing.

Risk? Sure
Problems? None to date.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

7 v gp are getting better because they updating them all the time , since 2013 i purchased 3 batches of this plugs , and last set still working good , i do have spare set in case this set burned up last last two LOL, i think they finally make them last longer now ,no comment cold star dont bother me any more , i just drive it summer time ,

Post subject: Need a 101 for glow plug replacement
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:45 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
While I appreciate the fact that they created plugs for this vehicle, Etecno should not be taking four years from the initial release to come up with something that is vaguely reliable. But they haven't yet. Because nobody that lives anywhere cold is happy with the way their jeep starts in the winter. Those plugs, suck.

It is unfortunate, but that just seems to be the way it is. The 5 V plugs on the 7 V program work better. Because you're running them hotter, which makes for easier starting.

As far as any difference in the glow plug module, there is not any difference. The module is just a relay and cycles on and off very quickly to "simulate" the voltage that is delivered to the plug. The part number from what I have been told is exactly the same as the old module. So if you have a problem, you can replace it. If everything works, you do not need to replace it. I have been doing the 5 V plugs as a drop in replacement on every jeep for about a year and a half now. None of the vehicles that I have worked on or have heard from anyone else have had failures of the 5 V plugs on the 7 V program. We do not yet know how long the plugs will last because none have failed. But this is a good thing. That means they are handling the voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

from my experience and replacing 2 sets of the garbage 7 volt Etecno plugs.... i went with the Bosch 5v and been happy.

I procured the plugs from this place in englnad :

http://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-bosch-shea ... 02038.html

And it took 7 days for 8 plugs to arrive.

Genuine Bosch plugs in genuine Bosch packaging (not generic white packaging).... they come with a security sticker and a serial number that can be checked online for Bosch authenticity.

During the winter months and 5 degree Fahrenheit weather, last year the Jeep fired up in just a few turns of the engine without a block heater.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:15 am 
LOST Member

Not to hijack...but what is the general consensus as to the "cutoff line" as far as the region that will get acceptable performance from the 7v plugs? I'm in central NC and next year...I'm planning on the whole shebang....timing belt, rockers, Weeks Stage 1&2, head gasket, studs, glow plugs....etc. I'm thinking the 7v plugs would be enough here in central NC as it doesn't get to horribly cold....usually in the 30's/40's during the winter. Doesn't drop below 20 too often...only a few days a year. Average temp in Wendell in January is 45 according to the weather site.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:11 pm 
LOST Addict

The price is the same for the 5v plugs, why even worry about it? Do the 5v and rock on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have nothing to say about running 5v metal plugs with 7v programing; if that works then great. As for the continued trashing of the Etecno1 7v metal plugs all I can say is they work ok in my son's 06 down to the upper teens F and in my former 05 down to 15F when the vehicle is not plugged in. Crank may be a touch slow and engine may sound a bit rough for first few seconds but does run. How that compares to the original OEM ceramic 7v ones I have no clue but we do know what the disintegrating ceramic ones can do the an engine.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs