It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spare key?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:07 am 
LOST Member

First off, I've never had a vehicle this new, with a chip in the fob - or even a fob for that matter or whatever you call it!

With this absurd auto-lock function (I've read the Dealership can disable this since I don't have the overhead display?) I'd like to have a spare key hidden away on the chance that I lock myself out. Must I get a whole fob with chip just to unlock the door? I tried a plain hardware store copy but it won't go all the way into the door lock (too thick?).

I assume this is nothing new to most of youall.

Many thanks,

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

Post subject: Re: Spare key?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:15 am 

They must have sold you the wrong key!
You should be able to purchase a blank spare key, have it cut, and hide or tote it in your wallet that will unlock the door only!
You can never use this key to start engine as it does not have the chip in it. If you ever stick it in the ignition and try and start the engine, the computer will lockout the start system...

You can go to a Chrysler dealer and purchase a spare (non-Fob) key that has the chip in it and get them to cut and program the key for a small charge.
If you have two working keys currently, you can self program a new key following a certain sequence. If you need the instructions, let me know, I have them on file and have used them myself to program two new keys and it works!

I purchased a blank key at Lowes, had them cut it, and I keep it on a keyring on my belt at all times in case my little dog locks the doors with the key Fob in the ignition. It has happened! :roll:
This way I can leave the engine running with AC on in the hot summertime to keep puppy dog cool, lock the doors, and use spare key to unlock when I return.

One thing I discovered, if you get in the habit of always using your key Fob to lock the doors after you exit the vehicle, you will never lock yourself out with the key in the vehicle! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Ilco makes a plain brass key that you can have duplicated from your FOB/Chip key. It will unlock your door, and unlock (turn) the ignition. Your vehicle will start and run for a second or two then quit. Any proper locksmith store can do this for you. http://www.findalocksmith.com/search.aspx

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:45 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Ilco makes a plain brass key that you can have duplicated from your FOB/Chip key. It will unlock your door, and unlock (turn) the ignition. Your vehicle will start and run for a second or two then quit. Any proper locksmith store can do this for you. http://www.findalocksmith.com/search.aspx

My understanding is that if you try and start the engine like two or three times with a NON-chipped key, the OBC will lock out the start system and even your chipped key then will not function. Doing this will require a dealer or certified locksmith to reset the system to allow your chipset to start the vehicle. :roll:

Bottom line, if you have a NON-chipped key, DO NOT try to use it in the ignition switch!!!! :grim:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:23 am 
LOST Member

Ah, good to know. Guess my hardware guy just used the wrong blank - both times...
I'll try a different shop or maybe a locksmith next time.

Many thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:13 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

My understanding is that if you try and start the engine like two or three times with a NON-chipped key, the OBC will lock out the start system and even your chipped key then will not function. Doing this will require a dealer or certified locksmith to reset the system to allow your chipset to start the vehicle. :roll:

Bottom line, if you have a NON-chipped key, DO NOT try to use it in the ignition switch!!!! :grim:

<=== CPL 1998-2013

I never came across a Mopar vehicle that behaved that way. Anyone with a non-chipped key shouldn't be trying to start with it, it's just for opening the door or need to unlock the steering when towing. The security chip check happens just before engine light goes off. It will start and run 1-3 seconds then turn off if the security check fails.
Fords using PATS or later won't even crank.
Most others will crank but not fire. The individual little weirdnesses take 2 books nearly 2" thick to detail, at $150 for the set, and that was in 2012 for the last set I bought. I still have them somewhere in storage, but I couldn't tell you where right now if my life depended on it.

VW went to a system that even the dealers can't program keys, but you have to take the rig to a stealership. They hook up a machine with a dedicated internet connection and it's done online from the factory.

Toyota / Lexus were the worst for a while, and still pretty spendy. With a new rig, you get 2 "master-chip" keys. You can't tell them apart from any other keys, only the vehicle can. You can duplicate those keys if you have them, but if both are lost, in order to get it to run right you had to replace the security module, and program new keys into it. When new, the module was only available from the stealership at over $800. New keys and programming was extra. Plus the labor to pull the darn thing out. Some computer savvy folks came up with a hardware+software kit where you could take the security module apart, and re-flash the security eprom back to factory new settings. Dealer prices came down pretty sharply after that.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:26 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

<=== CPL 1998-2013
I never came across a Mopar vehicle that behaved that way. Anyone with a non-chipped key shouldn't be trying to start with it, it's just for opening the door or need to unlock the steering when towing. The security chip check happens just before engine light goes off. It will start and run 1-3 seconds then turn off if the security check fails.
Fords using PATS or later won't even crank.
Most others will crank but not fire. The individual little weirdnesses take 2 books nearly 2" thick to detail, at $150 for the set, and that was in 2012 for the last set I bought. I still have them somewhere in storage, but I couldn't tell you where right now if my life depended on it.
VW went to a system that even the dealers can't program keys, but you have to take the rig to a stealership. They hook up a machine with a dedicated internet connection and it's done online from the factory.
Toyota / Lexus were the worst for a while, and still pretty spendy. With a new rig, you get 2 "master-chip" keys. You can't tell them apart from any other keys, only the vehicle can. You can duplicate those keys if you have them, but if both are lost, in order to get it to run right you had to replace the security module, and program new keys into it. When new, the module was only available from the stealership at over $800. New keys and programming was extra. Plus the labor to pull the darn thing out. Some computer savvy folks came up with a hardware+software kit where you could take the security module apart, and re-flash the security eprom back to factory new settings. Dealer prices came down pretty sharply after that.

Dang Gordon, you really muddied up that water!!! :roll: :lol:

If you don't believe it functions that way on our Jeeps; stick a non-chipped key in YOUR ignition switch and try and start it at least three (3) times in succession and let us know how it turns out!
I know I sure as heck am not going to test it just to find out how it works or doesn't!!!

:goink: :POPCORN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 pm 
LOST Addict

What's the point of trying to start it with a non-chipped key :?: You already know it won't work.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:32 am 
LOST Member

What ever happened to the good ole days of floor push button starters? My very first Jeep, a 1962 Willys CJ-3B actually, had a floor button. Course it had a key-on power switch but it worked with just about anything you stuck it in.

While on the "subject", what replacement battery does the fob take?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:02 pm 
LOST Addict

The fob will have the battery type/size listed. If it's been rubbed off or is unreadable, you can pop it open and look at the battery it's self.

When you change the battery don't handle it with bare hands. the oils from your skin are conductive, and will cut the battery life by 1/2 or less.

If you were to change to a floor button engine starter, it would probably be a pretty effective security measure, since no one trying to steal it wouldn't think of that nowadays.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am 
LOST Member

Ha ha, true. Just like hand crank windows...
I'll pop open the case and see.
Thanks for the help folks,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:53 pm 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:

This is True. I know Jeep dealerships will program their key fobs for you but not sure if a competent Locksmith can.
:arrow:

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:38 pm 

Liberty for All wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

This is True. I know Jeep dealerships will program their key fobs for you but not sure if a competent Locksmith can.

A competent "Certified" locksmith should be able to cut any key and program key fobs! I know this for a fact; we used one all the time at the Nissan Dealership where I worked for a while to cut keys and supply a second key fob for used vehicles when they were bought at sales and only came with one key or key fob. The locksmith we used had computerized equipment onboard in his van and could do GM, Chrysler, Ford, Toyota, Mercedes Benz, and most any other vehicle etc... He could cut keys and program FOB's simply by using the VIN number when a vehicle was brought in on a wrecker when the owner had totally lost all his keys or FOB's... Believe me it happened!! :roll:
Price was not cheap, but he was very good at what he did!!! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:28 am 
LOST Addict

Liberty for All wrote:

It would be a phenomenally incompetent locksmith who is unable.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:49 am 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
What's the point of trying to start it with a non-chipped key :?: You already know it won't work.

Will the key go to acc to run the radio, windows, etc.?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:41 pm 
LOST Member

jimf wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

Will the key go to acc to run the radio, windows, etc.?

I would guess yes, but cant say for sure. On my sprinter, which is same parent company, the non chip key will do everything except actually start the engine.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can a locksmith provide a new spare key for those jeeps?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:34 am 
LOST Newbie

SanbornNoah wrote:
Can a locksmith provide a new spare key for those jeeps?