It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Temp in the Teens....No start
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:04 pm 
LOST Member

Well as the topic mentions the cold has recently come to Kentucky.. And with that no start for my CRD.... I thought my DYI intake heater would be the ticket.. I guess not. (As a side note it functions for anyone thinking of doing it like i did like i showed in the other thread. Also the coolant leak was from the VH so that is fixed...)

Anyway alittle background. My jeep never has a problem starting when it is warmer than 30ish.. Under 30ish it gives some trouble... But these past two days it has been in the teens and no willingness at all really to start..

So I have a Brand new, tested 950 CCA battery installed, it is not that, it will crank all day long.

Thought it might be gelling so I put some anti gel in it yesterday when i managed to get it to start while adding fuel.. After heating the tank in that back with a big buddy (15 mins on and off )and having it plugged in for a few hours in case it was gelled. After that it started fine a couple more times..

Random but might be relevant after a few goes of trying to get it to start the brake and abs lights might come on.. Or they might not its random like i said. But always after a few goes of trying to crank it while cold. I have replaced the sensor on the pumpkin in the back that did that and caused my od not to work and those lights to come on.. If that matters..

This morning went to start it and nothing..Messed with it for about 10 minutes then went to work. I plugged it in when i got home and we will see if it starts in a few hours..

Plugged in and tending the battery...

I have a lift pump installed behind the battery and have replaced the plastic hard lines to the back... So i am pretty sure it is getting fuel ok. I turned the fuel bleed and fuel seemed to be coming out enough i filled a coke bottle to be sure.

I replaced the glow plugs last year when i did the TB, with the new 5v steel. I am pretty sure i have the original v7 programming since i had the original v7 plugs in it. (150k). I dont have any cel glow plug codes. The glow plugs take the batt down around .5 volts when turned on for a about 10 seconds. Try to start after nothing.

The temp this morning was about 10, without wind chill. My jeep is lifted (if that matters) and was setting out all night in it. When i started it yesterday afternoon it was around 20ish again plugged in.

I know i could always have it plugged in and it would probably start.. But thats not the point what if I dont have a plug or just want to go and not wait 3 hours? I see people on here saying they have little problems until it is below zero.. Anyway just looking for some help again.. Man i feel like all i do is fix this thing.. ???

Post subject: Re: Temp in the Teens....No start
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:42 pm 

Just curious; have you tried adding any of the Diesel Kleen or similar fuel improving products to your fuel tank to prevent gelling and / or line freezing? :idea:

See this:> http://powerservice.com/winter-toolbox/

Also, are you sure your GP system is functioning properly? fuses, relay, etc...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 pm 
LOST Member

I bought some power service winter anti gelling and put about 6oz in the tank yesterday with about 10 gallons of fresh fuel. I have checked all the fuses in the cab and the ones in the relay box by the battery all seem to be good. But here is a picture to be sure if you can even tell from it. Far as i can tell the glow plug doesn't have a fuse in the box by the battery though. Anyway to test them other than swap out the relay?

Pretty sure this is the glow plug relay right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:12 pm 
LOST Addict

ryanchris wrote:
Man i feel like all i do is fix this thing.. ???

Makes me never wanna buy another Chrysler/FCA vehicle ever again.

I don’t really have much other than maybe you need an in tank lift pump. Is it possible the thick fuel and front mounted pump is collapsing the fuel line?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:19 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
Makes me never wanna buy another Chrysler/FCA vehicle ever again.

I know what you mean.. And thing is.. I really like it, i mean at least after i had modded it and it is working... But man it sure is a pain..

IDK maybe, but like i said i opened the bleed all the way and filled up a coke bottle... I did drop the tank a few months ago to replace the hard lines like i said just to be sure about no air getting in.. Should of done a in tank then..But i already had the other and they are like 150 plus the wiring so i passed.. I put a new stereo in the beast around the same time which i really like single din, but 8 inch android screen. Gives me something to watch while its not running ha..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:25 pm 

ryanchris wrote:
I bought some power service winter anti gelling and put about 6oz in the tank yesterday with about 10 gallons of fresh fuel. I have checked all the fuses in the cab and the ones in the relay box by the battery all seem to be good. But here is a picture to be sure if you can even tell from it. Far as i can tell the glow plug doesn't have a fuse in the box by the battery though. Anyway to test them other than swap out the relay?
Pretty sure this is the glow plug relay right?

Yes, that is the GP relay! If you hold it in your hand and let someone cycle the key on with temperature below freezing, you should be able to feel the relay entergize. Of course the only true way to ensure it is functioning properly it to have a voltmeter plugged into the wires leaving the relay that feeds the GP's... :roll:

Fuse no. 16 in the power distribution center under the hood is one 12v feed into the GP module, the other one is a heavy 12v fusible link feed directly off the starter motor supply according to the FSM...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 pm 
LOST Member

Got it, well I am a one man show tonight so it will have to wait until another time for that test. But like i said on a volt meter for the rig i notice about a .5 volt drop when the key is cycled for around 10 seconds then it returns to the value it was before. Much like when i manually cycle my DYI intake heater. And no glow plug codes idk if it would throw a code if the relay was bad tho, but i do know i did have a glow plug code before thus replacement of all the old ones for steel 5v.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:33 pm 
LOST Member

Just to update, block heater for 3 hours, cycle the intake heater and glow plugs let it set a few seconds after and it fired right up. High pitched sound for about 30 seconds then sounded like it normally does... Open to ideas, short of burning it to the ground.. I have already had that one myself ha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Yes, that is the GP relay! If you hold it in your hand and let someone cycle the key on with temperature below freezing, you should be able to feel the relay entergize.
I don't think you'll feel anything as this is a solid state relay, more of a PWM controller really. It uses MOSFETs for switching rather than mechanical contacts so you won't hear/feel it click like a conventional relay.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

As an FYI, IF you did gel your fuel, you also have waxed your filter. NO amount of bottled chemical fix will un wax the filter. You should replace the fuel filter! Been there, learned the lesson the very first winter of low sulphur fuel back in the 1990's.

Higher gel points are one of the many evils of low sulphur diesel fuel!

Fumoto F102N
GDE ECO Tune @ 44,500
ETECNO 7v Glow Plugs

Soon:
Timing Belt / Water Pump Job
Serpentine Belt
Alternator Decoupler Pulley
Hayden HD Fan Clutch
ARP Head Studs
Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 Thermostat Upgrade
Then it will be like new, Right??? ;)

Last edited by surpdlr on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:53 pm 
LOST Member

I looked for a fuel filter local today, only napa had them and I couldnt get there before they closed since i was at work. I am going to try tomorrow. But it could be gelled and still start with the block heater and or get fuel out of the bleeder?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:46 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Anti-gel additives need to be added before the fuel has gelled (before filling tank) in order for them to mix and work correctly.

Once the paraffin has come out of suspension (gelled fuel) the only ways to get them working is to have the entire tank and fuel system warmed to the point that the wax liquefies, or to replace the filter and drain and replace all the fuel in the tank, lines, filter, etc, and warm the rail.

Years ago I borrowed a friend's garage and space heater. It took a little over a day. Once the fuel liquefied again, the anti-gel mixed, and I had no more problems.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:21 am 
LOST Member

I might have that covered. Yesterday after i got it started i went to the gas station and put the anti gel i had just purchased in before adding about 10 gallons. There were only a couple gallons in at this time. I added about 6 or more ozs to the tank. After that i came home and pulled it in the garage and turned my garage electrical heater on and my big buddy. Via the garage door opener temp sensor it said it was 70ish in there after about 2 hours wide open. I did this since i am also having p0101 cel. The only one. Trying to troubleshoot that last night. Changed out the connector. Didnt help i guess it is the maf sesnor its self. It will show 5vs every once and awhile when you move it around or mess wiggle around it. I did have it unplugged until i removed and deleted the egr. Anyway i had it in thete for about 3 hours total. Then took it out and drove it for 30 minutes to check the maf... Still showed a code but thats another struggle. ( Rockers seem fine btw at idle 17.5gs what they are supposed to be from what i have read.)
So would that not taken care of it? Its never a bad idea to change the fuel filter so i am still probably going too.. I would just like it to start without help from my electric company when cold.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:46 am 
LOST Addict

Having a diesel in a cold winter can really suck sometimes.
Even professional truck drivers have to deal with it frequently.

My work truck is a 2014 International MaxForce.
It doesn’t have glow plugs but it does have a intake heater.
It also came delivered with a block heater, fuel filter heater, fuel line heater, fuel tank heater, and a Webasto heater.
It spends most most of its time in Florida and had never needed all those additional heaters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:00 am 

joe_ wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
Yes, that is the GP relay! If you hold it in your hand and let someone cycle the key on with temperature below freezing, you should be able to feel the relay entergize.
I don't think you'll feel anything as this is a solid state relay, more of a PWM controller really. It uses MOSFETs for switching rather than mechanical contacts so you won't hear/feel it click like a conventional relay.

Thanks for that feedback Joe, did not realize the GP relay was SS! :shock: What you stated does make sense! Guess I think "old school" sometimes; still learning about all the nuances of this unique little diesel ... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:39 am 
LOST Addict

ryanchris:

Go out and splurge on a Webasto TSL17 engine coolant heater... get the heater in a 923369 universal installation kit for all diesel powered vehicles that run on 12 Volt electricity. Install it using a Sasquatch Motorsports battery tray - it has a spot created under the battery for the heater to be conveniently mounted. Drop your fuel tank and install the fuel feed line SEPARATELY from main fuel line, and while you have the tank dropped, install an in-tank fuel lift pump because that is the BEST place for a lift pump to be.

Hook the coolant lines of the heater to the cooling system by plumbing through the viscous heater and the thermostat assembly; this method saves you from having to pull the engine to get directly at the block, but there is 1 negative to this method. When your correctly installed Webasto starts to heat up when it is switched on, it will heat the thermostat first. The temperature sending unit that feeds readings to the computer will shut off the glow plug circuit before the engine has a chance to warm up the block. This is O.K., because the Webasto heater is so powerful, it will heat up your engine faster than idling it to warm it up; you just have to realise that it is not O.K. to use the Webasto heater for only 5 minutes and expect it to start your engine. The block will still be stone cold, the thermostat will be hot and your glow plug circuit will be shut off.

Give the Webasto heater a chance to warm up your engine, and you can kiss all of your cold start problems good bye. The Webasto TSL17 is called that because at full blast it pumps out 17,000 BTU of heat... this is fully 12.5 times the heating capability of your block heater. Enough heat will be generated that you will never have to idle your engine to warm it up again... you will save a significant amount of fuel and wear and tear on your engine. You will also do an end run around the glow plug issues that the CRD has, because by preheating the engine with the Webasto they will never be called upon to turn on again. You can remove your great working but fragile ceramic glow plugs and install the durable steel but poorly performing plugs and never worry about having to starting again. A CRD owner who has a Webasto heater installed says that at -17 degrees Fahrenheit, his CRD warms up without being plugged in to a point where the needle is a the 1/4 mark in about 25 minutes.

While you are at it, consider installing a real engine thermostat assembly in your rig. Cheap and very effective thermostat valve replacements in the future. Way better heat, tighter control over engine temperatures, and better fuel economy will result. There is a sale locally here in Edmonton for Webasto heaters, and I can put together a package deal with the sale of a Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly if you wish.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:44 am 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
Having a diesel in a cold winter can really suck sometimes.

I am starting to get that..However before i changed the plugs.. I dont really ever remember having as much problems.

Alittle update, it was plugged in all night last night. Temp 14 on the gauge in the jeep. Intake heater cycle for a minute, then cycled the key on for 20 seconds, off then on again waited and tried to start for ~15 seconds... Nothing... Little hint at the end. Waited about 30 seconds and cycled it couple more times and it finally started after another go of ~15 seconds on start and didn't sound strong but cleared up quickly (few seconds). It got to temp quickly and everything else seemed normal.. I drove it to work so hopefully it starts when i want to leave!

I have another gp relay i am going to switch to see if that helps but, IDK if it is good since it is off a spare engine i have. But as i said before i am seeing a volt drop in the battery when the gp's are supposed to be doing there thing after the key is turned.. Just not sure if it is connected to them or as much as should be. Again no other codes but the dang maf but that has been on so long i feel like we are old friends between the ORM and the current code since plugging back in removing the egr system completely.

I guess i could move to a warmer climate? :ALONE:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:52 am 
LOST Member

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
ryanchris:

Go out and splurge on a Webasto TSL17 engine coolant heater... get the heater in a 923369 universal installation kit for all diesel powered vehicles that run on 12 Volt electricity. Install it using a Sasquatch Motorsports battery tray - it has a spot created under the battery for the heater to be conveniently mounted. Drop your fuel tank and install the fuel feed line SEPARATELY from main fuel line, and while you have the tank dropped, install an in-tank fuel lift pump because that is the BEST place for a lift pump to be.

Hook the coolant lines of the heater to the cooling system by plumbing through the viscous heater and the thermostat assembly; this method saves you from having to pull the engine to get directly at the block, but there is 1 negative to this method. When your correctly installed Webasto starts to heat up when it is switched on, it will heat the thermostat first. The temperature sending unit that feeds readings to the computer will shut off the glow plug circuit before the engine has a chance to warm up the block. This is O.K., because the Webasto heater is so powerful, it will heat up your engine faster than idling it to warm it up; you just have to realise that it is not O.K. to use the Webasto heater for only 5 minutes and expect it to start your engine. The block will still be stone cold, the thermostat will be hot and your glow plug circuit will be shut off.

Give the Webasto heater a chance to warm up your engine, and you can kiss all of your cold start problems good bye. The Webasto TSL17 is called that because at full blast it pumps out 17,000 BTU of heat... this is fully 12.5 times the heating capability of your block heater. Enough heat will be generated that you will never have to idle your engine to warm it up again... you will save a significant amount of fuel and wear and tear on your engine. You will also do an end run around the glow plug issues that the CRD has, because by preheating the engine with the Webasto they will never be called upon to turn on again. You can remove your great working but fragile ceramic glow plugs and install the durable steel but poorly performing plugs and never worry about having to starting again. A CRD owner who has a Webasto heater installed says that at -17 degrees Fahrenheit, his CRD warms up without being plugged in to a point where the needle is a the 1/4 mark in about 25 minutes.

While you are at it, consider installing a real engine thermostat assembly in your rig. Cheap and very effective thermostat valve replacements in the future. Way better heat, tighter control over engine temperatures, and better fuel economy will result. There is a sale locally here in Edmonton for Webasto heaters, and I can put together a package deal with the sale of a Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly if you wish.

That sounds awesome. I have looked into the Webastos before and they make some nice stuff. I was thinking about using one for a camping rig as a air temp heater. But they are alittle pricey for me at the moment with all the other money i have put into this beast. I do like your thermostat housing, but I hollowed the factory one out, and installed a jegs inline one with replaceable unit right after the factory hollowed out one before i knew about yours. It seems to work well. I like the jegs inline better because it bolts together and doesn't twist together like the others and have a change to work its way loose.

But just a thought on the Webastos and the piping. Couldnt I used the hole in the block where i installed the plug deleting the coolant line from the old egr system and pipe it in through that way? Assuming the heating unit has some kinda circulation of the fluid that way the coolant could move its way through the block right? Then just have the feed line tee of of some other place near the thermostat maybe or the vh lines. Maybe even use the space left vacant by the egr stuff to mount the heater...I am just guessing btw and have not looked into it or anything just a thought that crossed my mind when i read your comment.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:00 pm 
LOST Member

I have wrote several times about my experiences with cold starts, summary is this:

above 35 deg F, no help necessary, starts well with good battery
between 25-35 deg, with a good glow plugs and battery it will struggle to start, but will eventually
below 20ish deg F, will not start unless you've had the block heater running for hours, good battery and you talk really nicely to her...

I've got a Ford 6.0L, Dodge 5.9L, Yanmar 3 cyl tractor and this thing, and it's the only one that has to have the block heater plugged in to start if it has cold soaked below 25 deg F.

PS - that's also why I'm using 0W-40 in the winter, even though other's don't agree with that.

See signature for mods and relevant equipment info

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:43 pm 
LOST Member

CGman wrote:
above 35 deg F, no help necessary, starts well with good battery
between 25-35 deg, with a good glow plugs and battery it will struggle to start, but will eventually
below 20ish deg F, will not start unless you've had the block heater running for hours, good battery and you talk really nicely to her...

That is about what i have experienced this winter since changing the glow plugs from the original even with 5v on v7 programing. I guess i will just have to plug it in and deal with it, even though to me that does not seem like it should be the case. If other diesels can start in this weather in KY i feel like this jeep should be able to as well. Even tried to help it all I could with the intake heater and more cca battery.. But it still doesnt help. Then you have other members saying they are fine and able to start down to 0f.. Was hoping there was something that could be done short of the coolant heater / plugin. Ugh.