It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best way to modify/trim CRD fan shroud
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:02 pm 
LOST Member

Hi all,

In the recent cold weather I am hard pressed to try and remove the accessory-belt driven fan as others did. Problem is the fan shroud being in the way. Same problem complicates access the the engine front end in general - fan must go, but removing the fan shroud is a hassle (through which I just went during blown head gasket replacement). I am almost ready to cut away the top portion of the shroud to later replace it with sheet metal piece or something. Are there any more clever solutions?

HNY
A.

Post subject: Re: Best way to modify/trim CRD fan shroud
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Remove the fan shroud. To do so you will have to undo the mechanical fan; unbolt the shroud; disconnect the stuff on top of the shroud; and carefully lift out the fan and shroud as a unit (placing a towel over the fan will help prevent puncturing the "radiator" type fins in front of it). About half way down each side of the fan shroud are 2 short bolts that thread into captured nuts. Remove the bolts and CAREFULLY set them aside so you don't mix them in with other longer bolts as longer ones will pierce the intercooler/radiator. Grab 2 UV stable zip ties and use them to lock the nuts into their capture slots. Cut the fan shroud in half horizontally just below the bolt tabs (retaining both tabs and the fan shroud top). Discard the shroud bottom and reuse the top. Problem solved at no loss of cooling.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:23 pm 
LOST Member

Hey, thanks, what you describe will surely help the shroud removal independently of the fan. I understand exactly how to remove the shroud, however being lazy that I am, what I am after is somewhat the opposite: to be able to remove the fan with the shroud in place. It seems that after chopping off the most protruding top portion of the shroud (the one with "Caution Fan" stamping), it should be possible to wiggle the fan out. Once the fan gets reinstalled in spring, the cutout could be covered with a piece of sheet metal attached to plastic with self-threading screws or some such. The tricky part is to figure out how deep and how wide to cut. I am wondering if anyone had any luck going this route?

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I think the reason that most of us have gone the other way is, once properly done, the modified top half of the shroud, takes mere seconds to remove or re-install, getting it completely out of the way when needed, and, being fully functional when installed.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What I described is the simplest fix, 2 horizontal short cuts, and easiest to remove, 2 bolts and lift it out. That said you can do the Aussie mod (go to http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/ - download my tech tips PDF - scroll down bookmarks to Fan shroud mods). I tried that mod and it did not work well. I ultimately trimmed the top half and drilled some holes along the cut line so I could hold the 2 trimmed parts of the top half together with zip ties. Works ok and allows fan to come out without removal of anything but the top part of the shroud. However, if I did it over again I'd do the cut and throw away the bottom half mod.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 am 
LOST Member

My mod was to leave it off. I couldn't find one when I rebuilt the front clip after deer collision so I've been running without. Ran all summer no problems. But I wasn't towing or wheeling either.

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:10 pm 
LOST Member

I kept both halves and added an aluminum tab to each side held on with small bolts and nylock nuts.

Spring breakup weather can include freezing temps and deep puddles which is why I wanted to keep the bottom half.

I think I have pictures of my mod method on Jeep KJ .com.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just to add to the mix, here is what I did... :2cents:

I modified the fan shroud so it would lift out easily, yet still be in one piece. I cut the bottom out so it would slide up, in front of the fan. I cut out the bottom part that would catch under the fan. Also made sure the bottom would still locate on the two tabs that stick up from the frame. Here are a couple Internet pictures with cut marks...

These odd shapes are the tabs from the frame that locate the bottom of the shroud.

I'm pleased with it.
Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Replaced harmonic balancer.
Noise in front axle or 3rd member - removed loose chain in transfer case.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.
Sheared bolts on TC. Replaced flex plate, TC, bolts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:54 am 
LOST Member

Great, thanks everyone! Turns out what I was thinking about was in fact an Aussie mod and now I know exactly how much to cut - thanks papadingo! Turns out I already had your tech tip file on my computer, all I needed was a kick in the butt in the right direction!

On a separate note: with local temperatures hovering around -1 - -7 Fahrenheit and no warm up in sight, yesterday I have performed a redneck-style experiment to check how effective fan removal is going to be in helping to keep the engine temperature closer to normal. I simply tied one fan blade to the top cross-member with a piece of rope, which stopped the fan in its tracks. I observed quite significant improvement both in warm-up time and sustained temperature which has reached 82 deg. C (180F) for the first time in recent couple of weeks. I am currently testing Chinese-made thermostat I got from eBay and my radiator is covered with pieces of cardboard. Not that I plan to use this rope "solution" for any length of time, the fan should go, but this could be an emergency way of blocking the fan should cold weather hit unexpectedly. After all, the fan clutch is designed to slip until engaged.

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:02 am 

I would strongly advise against that: tying the fan stationary with a rope, the fan clutch is not designed for that great of a difference in speeds for sustained long term slippage. :shock:
By doing this and if the fan clutch were to self-destruct and come apart, the damage it can do could get ugly and expensive!!! :grim:
Best advise, simply remove the mechanical fan & clutch completely! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:25 am 
LOST Member

Thanks, no worries, I have deliberately chosen a weak crappy rope and it quickly got torn, so I am back to stock condition. Fan removal is the plan for tonight - and now I know it is worth the hassle. Redneck-style experiments are not necessarily out of place, as long as they do not get turned into permanent solutions :)
A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:48 pm 
LOST Member

Aussie mod rules! Five minute work with reciprocating saw and no need to remove the stupid shroud ever again!

One little tidbit about taking out the virgin shroud and the fan (apparently they can only be extracted together): I have found that just before the fan is detached from the pulley and becomes loose, it helps to tie a rope around its axle and attach it to the engine oil fill port; it then becomes quite convenient to alternate between lifting it by that rope and lifting the shroud. After the few such small alternating steps everything is safely out.

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:20 pm 

A tip for anyone removing a mechanical fan that I always do! Slide either a piece of thick cardboard or thin sheet metal in front of the fan up against the radiator so if the fan were to happen to drop or fall forward for any reason, it's metal blades will not damage the radiator... :wink:
Once the shroud is unbolted, it can be pushed back against the engine far enough to slide a piece of protective material in place! :)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

This is the easiest way I find to do this.

https://ibb.co/bGGVuU
https://ibb.co/nNAC8p
https://ibb.co/dPNg19
https://ibb.co/inUiEU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:08 pm 
LOST Member

- Use a dab of ultra-black to prevent the 2 "captive" nuts from popping out. For those of us that regularly pull the shroud to monkey you'll appreciate not worrying about those %#*@! nuts going awol.
- X 100 for L/R horizontal cuts separating upper from lower fan shroud. Lower half remains adequately secured by retainer clips, while the top half removes fairly easily after removing the 2 10mm bolts. Further, with both upper/lower halves installed the "slice method" still preserves the intended cooling effect of a 360-degree shroud. Permanently dissecting a lower portion of the shroud eliminates significant cooling force, as the fan looses the pressure created by a 360-shroud. Make a pinhole halfway down a straw & drink; you'll get the idea.

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:50 pm 
LOST Member

I don’t quote understand this mod. The shroud didn’t seem all that difficult to remove when I had to do it. Much like most others I’ve done. And as far as cold running engine, that’s not because of the fan it’s because of the stat. And the classic approach if all that doesn’t work is slide plastic or cardboard in front of rad. I’d much prefer to do that than modify the shroud or run without a fan. Please enlighten me to why you’d spend energy modding that instead of addressing the stat issues that actually address this.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:26 pm 

Jett, to explain the whys:
A lot of owners including myself have opted to "split" the radiator fan shroud in half to facilitate easy removal of only the top half of the shroud for any future work on the front of the engine. Some owners have advocated totally removing the bottom half of the shroud and discarding it saying it does not add much to the mechanical fan's efficiency. If you live and drive in cooler climate locations where ambient temperatures and relative humidity does not get to high, that certainly may be ok.

But in my case, living in the deep south where temperatures can routinely climb well above 100 degrees F and the relative humidity can be almost 100% in the hot summertime, so with the very high temperatures and humidity, I need ALL the cooling flow I can get so I opted to keep the bottom half of fan shroud just in case it helps to add any fan efficiency. Hang a 5-6k loaded trailer behind your Jeep in these conditions and you will find out real quick how well the performance of your cooling system is doing for both engine and transmission.
But to each his own, advice is free.

This was one of several good threads on LOST on how to split the shroud:> viewtopic.php?f=98&t=87178
Lots of good information on how some performed the split.

This was my design to allow the keeping of the bottom half of the shroud after cutting it in half:
Covered in detail at:> viewtopic.php?p=916154#p916154

This design allows the top half of the shroud to slide in-between (sandwich) two pieces of Lexan which hold everything securely in place and not allow it to move.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Jett wrote:
I don’t quote understand this mod. The shroud didn’t seem all that difficult to remove when I had to do it. Much like most others I’ve done. And as far as cold running engine, that’s not because of the fan it’s because of the stat. And the classic approach if all that doesn’t work is slide plastic or cardboard in front of rad. I’d much prefer to do that than modify the shroud or run without a fan. Please enlighten me to why you’d spend energy modding that instead of addressing the stat issues that actually address this.

Jett:

You are correct in stating that the O.E. thermostat is the source of the problem with the cold running engine.

Your solution, according to the details of your ride at the bottom of every one of your posts is a "195 degree stat". Would you please enlighten us as to what you have done to get a 195 thermostat? There are long term consequences for your engine if you have chosen the wrong upgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:27 am 
LOST Member

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
Jett wrote:

Jett:

You are correct in stating that the O.E. thermostat is the source of the problem with the cold running engine.

Your solution, according to the details of your ride at the bottom of every one of your posts is a "195 degree stat". Would you please enlighten us as to what you have done to get a 195 thermostat? There are long term consequences for your engine if you have chosen the wrong upgrade.

Kapeznpickic mod. Using kia parts etc. lathe work and welding, and leaks, but works great

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:29 am 
LOST Addict

Jett wrote:
Kapeznpickic mod. Using kia parts etc. lathe work and welding, and leaks, but works great

My name is Kapalczynski.... Mark Kapalczynski, (A nod to Sean Connery; the original and perhaps the BEST Bond). His username on LOSTJEEPS.com is literally "kapalczynski".

Mark Kapalczynski is a GREAT GUY, and his thermostat upgrade is the ONLY one I recommend if you can not afford mine. I respect his design of a modified O.E. housing to take the Hyundai Excel thermostat valves because he is respecting the original design of the CRD engine thermostat assembly. He realizes that there were very good reasons why the O.E. thermostat assembly was designed this way and copied the design and function of it merely by modifying the O.E. thermostat housing and making it serviceable.

The problems with his design are all due to the cheap cast housing he was forced to work with. Your statement that it leaks does not surprise me, but that is certainly nothing that Mark could be faulted for.

Mr. Kapalczynski's design is no longer viable because one of the critical parts to make it is so hard to come by. I did some research back in 2013 to find out if I could take over making O.E. thermostat upgrades as Mark indicated that he no longer wanted to do it. I discovered way back then that the KIA Sephia thermostat cap was a discontinued part.... when I factored this sobering reality with the logistical problems of sourcing used O.E. thermostat assemblies I knew it was a no-go for me.

At that point I knew that if I wanted to create a truly superior upgrade serviceable thermostat I had to start with a clean sheet design. The Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 is the result of my research and development efforts.... it is vastly superior to the throwaway O.E. thermostat assembly in EVERY way, and better than any other alternative solution - including Mark's design - that has been tried so far.