It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best way to modify/trim CRD fan shroud
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

In the recent cold weather I am hard pressed to try and remove the accessory-belt driven fan as others did. Problem is the fan shroud being in the way. Same problem complicates access the the engine front end in general - fan must go, but removing the fan shroud is a hassle (through which I just went during blown head gasket replacement). I am almost ready to cut away the top portion of the shroud to later replace it with sheet metal piece or something. Are there any more clever solutions?

HNY
A.

Post subject: Re: Best way to modify/trim CRD fan shroud
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Remove the fan shroud. To do so you will have to undo the mechanical fan; unbolt the shroud; disconnect the stuff on top of the shroud; and carefully lift out the fan and shroud as a unit (placing a towel over the fan will help prevent puncturing the "radiator" type fins in front of it). About half way down each side of the fan shroud are 2 short bolts that thread into captured nuts. Remove the bolts and CAREFULLY set them aside so you don't mix them in with other longer bolts as longer ones will pierce the intercooler/radiator. Grab 2 UV stable zip ties and use them to lock the nuts into their capture slots. Cut the fan shroud in half horizontally just below the bolt tabs (retaining both tabs and the fan shroud top). Discard the shroud bottom and reuse the top. Problem solved at no loss of cooling.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey, thanks, what you describe will surely help the shroud removal independently of the fan. I understand exactly how to remove the shroud, however being lazy that I am, what I am after is somewhat the opposite: to be able to remove the fan with the shroud in place. It seems that after chopping off the most protruding top portion of the shroud (the one with "Caution Fan" stamping), it should be possible to wiggle the fan out. Once the fan gets reinstalled in spring, the cutout could be covered with a piece of sheet metal attached to plastic with self-threading screws or some such. The tricky part is to figure out how deep and how wide to cut. I am wondering if anyone had any luck going this route?

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I think the reason that most of us have gone the other way is, once properly done, the modified top half of the shroud, takes mere seconds to remove or re-install, getting it completely out of the way when needed, and, being fully functional when installed.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What I described is the simplest fix, 2 horizontal short cuts, and easiest to remove, 2 bolts and lift it out. That said you can do the Aussie mod (go to http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/ - download my tech tips PDF - scroll down bookmarks to Fan shroud mods). I tried that mod and it did not work well. I ultimately trimmed the top half and drilled some holes along the cut line so I could hold the 2 trimmed parts of the top half together with zip ties. Works ok and allows fan to come out without removal of anything but the top part of the shroud. However, if I did it over again I'd do the cut and throw away the bottom half mod.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 am 
LOST Member

My mod was to leave it off. I couldn't find one when I rebuilt the front clip after deer collision so I've been running without. Ran all summer no problems. But I wasn't towing or wheeling either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:10 pm 
LOST Member

I kept both halves and added an aluminum tab to each side held on with small bolts and nylock nuts.

Spring breakup weather can include freezing temps and deep puddles which is why I wanted to keep the bottom half.

I think I have pictures of my mod method on Jeep KJ .com.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:21 pm 
LOST Member

Just to add to the mix, here is what I did... :2cents:

I modified the fan shroud so it would lift out easily, yet still be in one piece. I cut the bottom out so it would slide up, in front of the fan. I cut out the bottom part that would catch under the fan. Also made sure the bottom would still locate on the two tabs that stick up from the frame. Here are a couple Internet pictures with cut marks...

These odd shapes are the tabs from the frame that locate the bottom of the shroud.

I'm pleased with it.
Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Reconnected EGR piping, plugged EGR at intake, removed butterfly valve, removed crossover pipe, plugged exhaust port.
Replaced harmonic balancer.
Noise in front axle or 3rd member.
Running on 2 cylinders, big clunking in engine, water in oil.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Great, thanks everyone! Turns out what I was thinking about was in fact an Aussie mod and now I know exactly how much to cut - thanks papadingo! Turns out I already had your tech tip file on my computer, all I needed was a kick in the butt in the right direction!

On a separate note: with local temperatures hovering around -1 - -7 Fahrenheit and no warm up in sight, yesterday I have performed a redneck-style experiment to check how effective fan removal is going to be in helping to keep the engine temperature closer to normal. I simply tied one fan blade to the top cross-member with a piece of rope, which stopped the fan in its tracks. I observed quite significant improvement both in warm-up time and sustained temperature which has reached 82 deg. C (180F) for the first time in recent couple of weeks. I am currently testing Chinese-made thermostat I got from eBay and my radiator is covered with pieces of cardboard. Not that I plan to use this rope "solution" for any length of time, the fan should go, but this could be an emergency way of blocking the fan should cold weather hit unexpectedly. After all, the fan clutch is designed to slip until engaged.

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:02 am 
LOST Addict

I would strongly advise against that: tying the fan stationary with a rope, the fan clutch is not designed for that great of a difference in speeds for sustained long term slippage. :shock:
By doing this and if the fan clutch were to self-destruct and come apart, the damage it can do could get ugly and expensive!!! :grim:
Best advise, simply remove the mechanical fan & clutch completely! :wink:

Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/BatteryTray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/NAPA HDclutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:25 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, no worries, I have deliberately chosen a weak crappy rope and it quickly got torn, so I am back to stock condition. Fan removal is the plan for tonight - and now I know it is worth the hassle. Redneck-style experiments are not necessarily out of place, as long as they do not get turned into permanent solutions :)
A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Aussie mod rules! Five minute work with reciprocating saw and no need to remove the stupid shroud ever again!

One little tidbit about taking out the virgin shroud and the fan (apparently they can only be extracted together): I have found that just before the fan is detached from the pulley and becomes loose, it helps to tie a rope around its axle and attach it to the engine oil fill port; it then becomes quite convenient to alternate between lifting it by that rope and lifting the shroud. After the few such small alternating steps everything is safely out.

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:20 pm 
LOST Addict

A tip for anyone removing a mechanical fan that I always do! Slide either a piece of thick cardboard or thin sheet metal in front of the fan up against the radiator so if the fan were to happen to drop or fall forward for any reason, it's metal blades will not damage the radiator... :wink:
Once the shroud is unbolted, it can be pushed back against the engine far enough to slide a piece of protective material in place! :)

Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/BatteryTray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/NAPA HDclutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

This is the easiest way I find to do this.

https://ibb.co/bGGVuU
https://ibb.co/nNAC8p
https://ibb.co/dPNg19
https://ibb.co/inUiEU