It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 2006 CRD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I decided that since my Rubi has never seen a winter that it never shall, not while I can help it anyway. So the search began for a winter beater which then turned into a better on fuel daily instead. I landed on a 2006 Liberty CRD. Small dealer in burlington had it, and I drove it away for $4,900.00 all in, plates and all. Thanks to a lot of reading on forums like this, I spent a few bucks at the wreckers pulling trim from a limited, wired in the OVIC it never came with so I can have options like fuel econ, TPMS,and ability to change locking options. nice little mod, ran a 4 wire down the DS A-pillar and grabbed power at the fuses, and PCI Bus at the OBD2 connector. Being a sport model it's pretty lacklustre. The only options added were the HD grand cooling, towing, and a proper security alarm as per the build sheet DeWildt printed off for me.

I also added cruise control. A bit of research on some KJ forums found that I could grab the buttons and harness from an 05-06, and there is an empty spot on the clock spring already. A trip to the dealer and talked them into hooking up the DRB III, go into the PCM module and do a "cruise reset". Then after that you turn the key to on, push the brake pedal and the cruise on button at the same time and hold, and boom goes the dynamite she's got cruise....... I feel like a god again, seriously.... It's been a while since i had something older to tinker with like this. A few more dress up type things, and did all fluids but the engine oil (i'll get to that in a sec) and grabbed a set of snows for the winter. I also discovered that 08+ KK seats bolt right in. I had Alex at Jeepman's in Hamilton source me a set of cloth ones that closely match my light grey interior and sure enough they did indeed with exception of the seat belt bolts being different and the pass side required the transplant of the occupant detection stuff from the KJ seat which was pretty easy. I also get the passenger seat that folds all the way forward giving me a lunch tray, and my Toughbook fits in there perfectly as well. I'm gonna install aftermarket heated seat kits also. I prefer cloth heated after owning many euro cars with them, they seem to heat up faster.

Oil was allegedly done by the shop that did the safety. I should use the term safety loosely however, because I had discovered a few fluid leaks in my driveway and it shouldn't drip anything to the ground to pass a safety here. So I got it on a lift at work and started assessing. I found a trans cooler line was leaking right away. It has the HD trans cooling with electric fan out front. Lines are a fair bit more money for this arrangement so off I went to CT for some good quality rubber line and fuel injection style hose clamps to patch it up. problem solved. However, I did see a drip from the engine oil drain plug. I grab a 22mm wrench (yes, that big) to tighten it up and it spins like it has a bearing on it. Lovely. My search for a helicoil kit turns up nothing. I was going to the dealer for a tire size reset anyway, so I thought i'd have the boys at DeWildt Chrysler have a peek and give me some options. Turns out, its not metric, and its not standard either. It's British Standard thread....... makes total sense on an Italian engine..... ugh.... so they tap it out to M18-1.5 and we are good to go with a proper size drain plug. Had them toss in 0W40 for oil, and behold my mileage gets exponentially better. The other guy must haver thrown in something thick to slow the drip a bit. In their defence, they did do all the proper safety stuff like a balljoint, and complete rear brakes including backing plates. Ran the VIN at Dewildt and it shows the EGR was just replaced in January, So i'm good there for a while too.

This libby has had 2 owners before me, both of whom oil sprayed and undercoated religiously. The only rust issue it has, and its minor, is at the 3rd brake light where they all get it eventually and I'll be addressing that shortly. bottoms of the doors are perfect as well as the rockers. I'm pretty steady on the wash bay 2 times a week, so it should stay that way. I got a copy of the receipt from when the timing service was done at 288,000km, and I picked it up at 319,000km. I now have 327,000km on it and my commute to the hammer from guelph nets me an average of 8.5 L/100km. I did an all highway 401 and 403 run to london from guelph, then to hamilton and at 110km/h on the cruise I saw I was to get 1200km to a tank, took 75 litres to fill from just showing empty.

Next up is transferring parts from a gasser i just bought 2 days ago. i'll post that in this thread separately, it has a few pics too.

Here she is. And yes, it'll be losing the stripe package from the sides ASAFP. LOL.

Post subject: Re: My 2006 CRD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

so, I've acquired a parts libby. it was built to wheel some years ago, and has a few nice items that will swap over nicely to my "daily" driver. i got pretty lucky with this falling in my lap, we trailered it home for $1500.00.

so far, we see;

ARB bull bar bumper with T-Max 9000lb winch
rock rails
RL swing away tire carrier rear bumper
JBA upper control arms
OME struts and shocks
2.5" lift
cragar soft 8's and 31's
4:56 gears
ARB rear locker
ARB compressor
full factory skids
and all the Renegade goodies

should be a fun little ride when i'm done. i'll strip the parts over the winter and clean everything up, paint, etc. and swap it all over in the spring. the 31's on it are pretty beat so i'll find fairly aggressive AT's for year round use. i think what excites me the most is that you don't see too many lifted kJ's in my area. there wasn't many when they were current either, but they are like finding hen's teeth now. I did see one leaving Guelph the other day tho..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:07 pm 
LOST Addict

First,
What kind of trailer is that and where can I find one?

Second,
Good find with the parts Liberty. You will want ARB 2790 front springs to support the weight of the CRD and ARB front bumper.

Third,
If you plan to swap rear axles, your 2006 CRD has two rear ABS sensors. Make sure the other axle matches it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
First,
What kind of trailer is that and where can I find one?

Second,
Good find with the parts Liberty. You will want ARB 2790 front springs to support the weight of the CRD and ARB front bumper.

Third,
If you plan to swap rear axles, your 2006 CRD has two rear ABS sensors. Make sure the other axle matches it.

thanks for the tip on the springs and axle, i will keep that info in mind for sure.

the trailer is a 1992 M101 CDN military unit and is for sale ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:

Third,

So, from what I see the rear abs wheel sensor is in the backing plate. In theory, I should be able to pull the rear shafts, unbolt and support all of the rear braking parts to the Jeep (because I’m lazy), then drop the rear axle and install the one from the 2003 donor sans shafts and brakes, and reinstall the shafts, backing plates,sensors and brake components from my 06 then.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TJ_HOOKER wrote:
flash7210 wrote:

Third,

So, from what I see the rear abs wheel sensor is in the backing plate. In theory, I should be able to pull the rear shafts, unbolt and support all of the rear braking parts to the Jeep (because I’m lazy), then drop the rear axle and install the one from the 2003 donor sans shafts and brakes, and reinstall the shafts, backing plates,sensors and brake components from my 06 then.

The axles for the 8.25 changed for '06+,and more then adding a tone ring,so don't expect a direct swap.If I remember correctly the lengths are different due to the pre-'06 8.25's have the tone ring between the carrier and ring gear.

Better check the front diff,unless it's painted bright red and cast iron to say it's the JBA steel diff, it does not have front and rear 4.56 gears.No 4.56 gears for the D30A that comes in the KJ.

That donor KJ looks very familiar,I could have installed the bumpers and sliders a few years back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
TJ_HOOKER wrote:
flash7210 wrote:

Third,

The axles for the 8.25 changed for '06+,and more then adding a tone ring,so don't expect a direct swap.If I remember correctly the lengths are different due to the pre-'06 8.25's have the tone ring between the carrier and ring gear.

Better check the front diff,unless it's painted bright red and cast iron to say it's the JBA steel diff, it does not have front and rear 4.56 gears.No 4.56 gears for the D30A that comes in the KJ.

That donor KJ looks very familiar,I could have installed the bumpers and sliders a few years back.

Thanks for the help. I’ll do some measuring once I have the donor stripped. That’s interesting about the gears. I’ll be pulling a diff cover ASAP to see what’s in there then if it’s not that JBA front diff. If it did actually have gears done and the front diff is stock, then I’ll assume 4:10’s were available? This is great info, thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:43 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for sharing all the info.

I'd like to do the OVIC addition to mine.

Keep us updated.

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
TJ_HOOKER wrote:
I also added cruise control. A bit of research on some KJ forums found that I could grab the buttons and harness from an 05-06, and there is an empty spot on the clock spring already. A trip to the dealer and talked them into hooking up the DRB III, go into the PCM module and do a "cruise reset". Then after that you turn the key to on, push the brake pedal and the cruise on button at the same time and hold, and boom goes the dynamite she's got cruise....... I feel like a god again, seriously...Engine running or not?.

This is a procedure different than any I've found yet.
Mine came with Cruise, but it's never worked. I bought new switches, traced all wiring from there to the ECM, clockspring is perfect, and everything should be a go, but it no go. I got fed up with it about 6 mo ago, and turned my attn to other things, but I really really want the cruise LOL My luck with speed traps is bound to switch eventually.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:40 am 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
TJ_HOOKER wrote:
I also added cruise control. A bit of research on some KJ forums found that I could grab the buttons and harness from an 05-06, and there is an empty spot on the clock spring already. A trip to the dealer and talked them into hooking up the DRB III, go into the PCM module and do a "cruise reset". Then after that you turn the key to on, push the brake pedal and the cruise on button at the same time and hold, and boom goes the dynamite she's got cruise....... I feel like a god again, seriously...Engine running or not?.

Mine came with Cruise, but it's never worked. I bought new switches, traced all wiring from there to the ECM, clockspring is perfect, and everything should be a go, but it no go. I got fed up with it about 6 mo ago, and turned my attn to other things, but I really really want the cruise LOL My luck with speed traps is bound to switch eventually.

One of the biggest issues I had was trying to convince the tech that the cruise reset was under PCM not the BCM. They are so used to all that is WiTech, they rarely touch a DRB III. They also seem to think it needs to be added to the sales code and needs to connect to Mopar tech for an upload which it does not. Because we are th role by wire the cruise is handled by the PCM. Now, mine is a 2006 but built in 2005, but that shouldn’t matter. He did the cruise reset on the DRB III and then moved over for me to do the rest as I described above. Been using my cruise every day since, 1hr commute each way.

After combing wrecking yards I did notice that older buttons will bolt in, and it is entirely possible to plug the wrong harness in. Once I found an 05-06 at a wreckers it all made sense. Don’t forget that sometimes dealer part numbers can get superceeded and in the process you could be getting buttons from an 07, which I believe is canbus. If you have any of the components you replaced are wrong, doing the cruise reset at the dealer may not take. You would think it would throw a code on the DRB but maybe not. Also, have you confirmed you have the wires that go to the buttons on the proper side of the steering wheel? It sounds crazy but if you look, I believe there’s only 2 wires to each side, but one side has 2 functions and the other side has 3. Also, try changing the brake pedal switch I’ve seen that fail and bugger up cruise on other vehicles as they have 2 sets of contacts, one for brake lights and one for cruise. I’ve also seen in GM’s if any brake light bulb is out the cruise won’t work, my chev truck it was the 3rd brake light bulb. It’s easy to route the harness wrong but it seems to fit perfect. Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on with that. Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:29 am 
LOST Newbie

Well my 2006 KJ is sitting now waiting for a new owner who wants to take on a rebuild of the engine after my mechanic tried to replace the four glow plugs with parts I purchased from IDParts. My CRD spent most of its life in FL and TX, but the cold weather I encountered in central NH caused the old glow plugs to quit. Mechanic had trouble getting the old plugs out and ended up taking off the head and found carbon on one of the cam shafts. Jeep is in great shape otherwise and was well cared for and use synthetic oil. Many new parts. Everything else works, good electrical, lights, sunroof and power locks and windows.

New CRD Parts Installed or Included
-Brake Controller
-ECM/PCM
-Mass Air Flow Sensor
-MAP Sensor
-Turbo Charger Vacuum Modulator and Filter
-Glow Plug and Harness Kit
-Automatic Transmission Service Kit w/Fluid
-New Battery 9/16
-Micro V-Belt
-Serpentine Belt
-Fuel/Water Separator Filter
-Brakes and Calipers 8/2016
-Rear Parking Brake 8/2016
-Window Motor Regulator driver's side front and back 2/2016
-Moog Sway bar and link Kit
-Fuel Pressure sensor on fuel rail, fuel quantity solenoid, fuel valve
-ECM and connectors
-fan blower control motor resistor

I hate to sell it but have too many other projects going on to deal with it. Will be posting an Advertisement here of Lost Jeeps and there is a listing on Craigslist in Boston. Hope she finds a new, good home. Florida Title in hand. Jeep is stored in Ashland, NH. Looking for best offer.

508-380-6904

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
TJ_HOOKER wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
TJ_HOOKER wrote:

One of the biggest issues I had was trying to convince the tech that the cruise reset was under PCM not the BCM. They are so used to all that is WiTech, they rarely touch a DRB III. They also seem to think it needs to be added to the sales code and needs to connect to Mopar tech for an upload which it does not. Because we are th role by wire the cruise is handled by the PCM. Now, mine is a 2006 but built in 2005, but that shouldn’t matter. He did the cruise reset on the DRB III and then moved over for me to do the rest as I described above. Been using my cruise every day since, 1hr commute each way.

After combing wrecking yards I did notice that older buttons will bolt in, and it is entirely possible to plug the wrong harness in. Once I found an 05-06 at a wreckers it all made sense. Don’t forget that sometimes dealer part numbers can get superceeded and in the process you could be getting buttons from an 07, which I believe is canbus. If you have any of the components you replaced are wrong, doing the cruise reset at the dealer may not take. You would think it would throw a code on the DRB but maybe not. Also, have you confirmed you have the wires that go to the buttons on the proper side of the steering wheel? It sounds crazy but if you look, I believe there’s only 2 wires to each side, but one side has 2 functions and the other side has 3. Also, try changing the brake pedal switch I’ve seen that fail and bugger up cruise on other vehicles as they have 2 sets of contacts, one for brake lights and one for cruise. I’ve also seen in GM’s if any brake light bulb is out the cruise won’t work, my chev truck it was the 3rd brake light bulb. It’s easy to route the harness wrong but it seems to fit perfect. Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on with that. Cheers

Thank you for the reply!
I have verified that vehicle speed control (cruise) is included on the build / sales sheet for it's VIN. The original buttons and wiring harness were in place and hooked up, but not working.
(still not, so they were likely still good).

The buttons I replaced the originals with are an exact part number match (not superceded, not aftermarket) to the ones I removed.

The switches are not direct contact units. If you disassemble them, they have a circuit board inside, and pressing any button results in it's own distinct resistance value. Therefore it only requires the 5v supply, and a sensor wire that returns the precise resulting voltage. From that, it knows what button has been pressed. That is why the wiring to the buttons are only 2, and both sides have common wiring. Both wires split to a Y where it comes through the wheel, to go both left and right. The switch with the third function activates both others at the same time (parallel), resulting in yet another resistance value and returned voltage. That has all been verified to be in correct working order.

All bulbs present and working correctly. No codes either stored or active. I've replaced the brake switch (twice) the first one stripped the adjusting clamp and closed the switch one night, and the brake lights ran the battery dead. :banghead: What a brilliant design... NOT!

Both the cruise reset and the procedure you describe are new to me, but I haven't gotten a chance to see if a battery disconnect will reset the cruise module. If not, I will have to find someone with a DRB3. Nearest dealership is around 100 miles each way, and they have a pretty bad reputation. If needed I may advertise locally asking for someone to call if they have a drb3 unit. It's possible... not likely, but possible.
The clockspring has been checked, even checked at every position of the steering wheel, lock to lock, and all circuits are good with no interruptions.

We've currently got 75-80 mph SW winds, rain, and forecasted flood warnings at all river mouths until tomorrow, (one flows through the homestead property here) so it's not likely I'll be out with the hood up working on it for the next day, anyway. :juggle:

Thanks again for sharing your experience. I've been ignoring this issue since I lost patience with my failure to get a good result about 6 months ago.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Nice mods. How's the weight of ARB front bumper? I'm thinking of installing one but not sure if it is too heavy or not.