It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric Fan Questions:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:22 pm 
LOST Member

My mech-fan bearing died (other thread). I'm installing a '92 Taurus puller-fan as a temporary fix. My '05 CRD had no electric fan on arrival, so I'm stuck either trying to locate/tap the OEM elec-fan control plug or custom wiring an entirely independent fan circuit (doable).

I'd greatly prefer to tap the ECM's control circuit vs. a manual dash switch, however I'm seeing differing info.
- Is it 100% certain that ALL libbys (gas&crd) have the OEM elec. fan circuit & plug, regardless whether an electric fan was original equipment? If so, where precisely is that feed/plug located and identification info?

If installing a separate-circuit, I presume that the driver is obligated to constantly monitor the temp gauge and toggle the fan on/off as required to maintain center-needle. Sounds annoying (and somewhat risky). Anybody who has done this care to share real-world experience?
How frequently and under what conditions are you riding the #@&! toggle?

The fan I'm installing is 'notably used' (yard, $10). I tested it briefly yesterday using 18-gauge stranded auto-wire w/gator clips. Both speeds worked, but the clips got #@%! Hot after only 5-10 seconds running. I assumed because the 18 is too thin for the amp-draw (true), but another post has me wondering if the aged fan itself may be failing. Although it free-spins quite easily, when running it seems a bit noisy. I think I'll take Flash's advice, tear it down, inspect and replace internal parts as necessary.

Regarding my own final install setup:
40-Amp rated Wiring/Relay/Switch/Connectors/Fuses = Yes.
If I can locate the ECM-controlled fan plug, I will probably just use it to feed the relay's control-tabs, but then install 12-gauge/stranded directly from battery +/- to the relay's load-tabs then feeding the fan (w/inline 40amp fuse).

Thanks!

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

Post subject: Re: Electric Fan Questions:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:11 pm 
LOST Addict

The plug sits near the grill, left side near the AC pipes. The electric fan kicks on a little late for anything serious I think, you'll be a little passed center when it kicks in, but yeah, at least you wont have to watch the gauge and toggle a switch.
Side note: On my set up, I deleted all AC components and it really helped cooling without all that radiator blockage. Over cooling is my fight now, just have to get the right combo of grill blocks, and warm air intake in winter, which is just removing the little plastic pipe and taping where the air comes in by the air box.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 am 
LOST Member

Thanks, MM. By "left" I'll assume you mean US driver-side.
Hopefully I'll locate the feed tomorrow.
Cheers

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:14 pm 
LOST Member

MM, or any other handy CRD genius:
Even after scanning the "Electric Fan" threads in the index, I'm still having trouble locating the OEM elec-fan plug (although tons of excellent info; lotsa' food for future thought & action!).
I mounted my ARB compressor partially beneath the battery holder so it's kinda' busy in that zone. I can't find any obvious orphaned plug, but maybe you could supply a tip to affirmatively
locate the beast. Can I chase the OEM-feed from the AC pump wiring or is the supply wiring routing solely from the ECM?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:15 pm 

Hope some of this helps? :D
PCM controls both fan speeds based on input from other sensors!

Radiator Fan Connector:> http://connectors.dcctools.com/
RADIATOR FAN MOTOR - 3 WAY
Full Repair Kit: 05014007AB (Google this number)

Quote:
From the FSM:
Connector Name ----Color ------- Fig.
Radiator Fan Motor ---BK ----Right Front Side of Engine Compartment ---30

Splice No.-----Location------Fig.
S111 ----In Trough Near T/O for High Note Horn -----30

Figure 30:

Radiator Fan Motor Connector:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:35 pm 
LOST Member

Your post paid-off, plug located! Many thanks!
It was tucked under the RIGHT Headlight housing. As in "vehicle-Right" or US passenger-side.

Question: when the "fan high" circuit engages, does the "fan low" circuit disengage or remain active. I'm seeing mixed messages in other threads, but "A, B" vs. "A+B" dictates whether it's necessary to install one or two relays in the setup.
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:57 am 
LOST Addict

The fan has two windings.
Activate 1 winding (single relay) and you get low speed.
Activate both windings (two relays) and you get high speed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:46 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks, Flash. (Again and again and...)
After having a closer look at the gauge of the OEM fan supply wiring, my belief that I needed to install all-new HD wiring and relays was bone-headed. The existing wiring is already 40-amp rated, & although there were no stock lo/hi fan relays in my fuse block, I've installed two.
A local machine shop is "reconstructing" my mechanical fan's bracket/bearing/pulley assembly; trying to sub local bearings I over-dremeled the orIginal spindle (long story). It's ready in the morning, I'll inspect it and install it if I like it. If I don't, in goes this taurus puller-setup (for now).
However, this electric fan lesson and effort will NOT be wasted: come spring when it's time to get the AC back inline, I'm going to have a local guy fab Aluminum shrouds for a custom PUSHER multi-fan setup. At least two (maybe four!), probably (10") "flex-fans" that will fit snugly over the trans-cooler on one side, all else on the other. I'll integrate the dual-speed stock control wiring, but also install a manual override for (at least) the Trans. Cooler fan. Given the stack of the radiator/CAC/AC/Trans. cooler, I don't have tons of space before the grill. But using low-profile fans and shrouds I should still be able to achieve my original objective: electric PUSHER fan(s), w/ room for easily reinstalling the mech-fan as needed. Fully customized aluminum shrouds will also insure full-surface cooling... and look cool. And while I kinda' hate to say it, I'll be surprised if my local Ensenada fab shop charges me $75 (for excellent pro tig work).

I'll try to post a few pics in the next few days.
Many thanks to ALL !

Oh... I know ya' meant well, Mountainman, but your indication that the OEM fan supply-plug was located on the "Left" side led me to mount the taurus fan-cowl so that its plug is oriented "Vehicle Left", not "left-facing-engine". Not a big deal, just a reminder that perspectives differ; just try sourcing parts for "the drivers-side"... from the UK!
Cheers