It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolant Leak
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

We've been really happy with our little '06 Liberty CRD we bought 8 years ago with 22,000 miles on it. Put about 90,000 trouble-free miles on it. Well...except for two window regulator cable thingys that I replaced.

Recently had a 100,000 mile service done, and no sooner got it home than the engine light went off and the code indicated a glow plug. Grrr...back to the shop. Apparently there has been a change in the glow plug assembly and it took over a week to get the new component and get it installed and all four new glow plugs.

Since the glow plug fixed, we noticed coolant leak. Took me a while to find the source because it's intermittent and i only noticed it because of a trail of fluid on the driveway after we back down it. Has to be pretty minor since the coolant tank still shows almost full.

There's a pipe out of the lower engine block, on the passenger side, above the oil filter that appears to be the source.

I really hate to return the Jeep to the shop, again, but have a feeling that something they did while replacing the glow plugs caused the pipe to be backed out just enough to cause the problem.

My question would be: Is that something I could just shove back in, or do I risk causing a bigger problem? I have a picture, but haven't seen a way to upload it.

Thanks,

Erik

2013 KTM 350 EXC
2003 KTM 200 EXC

Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:48 pm 
LOST Member

I think the pipes nearest the oil filter are the turbo oil supply and turbo oil return, but that wouldn't pass for coolant. A little further forward on the engine, there's the oil cooler (which has a coolant line coming out of it) and the water pump inlet. Up above there are lines going to/from the heater core. Could be leaking coolant from any of those I guess.

The glow plugs are all on the opposite side of the engine, though, so I think it's unlikely the mechanic bumped one of these coolant lines while working on those.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Pic related to original post:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 712796b5d2

2013 KTM 350 EXC
2003 KTM 200 EXC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 pm 
LOST Member

That pipe is the turbo oil return, and right behind it is the turbo support bracket. Looks like there's a drip hanging from the bottom of the support bracket, maybe something above is leaking onto it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:28 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
No coolant in the turbo at all, if you have coolant in that area and on the firewall, then it is possibly drooling down the back of the water bottle from the overflow chamber. The overflow is the section closest to the center of the engine, and normally would be empty or nearly empty. If it is completely full, then you have a head gasket leak.

Do a "cold engine test" to confirm or eliminate this.
To do this test: On a completely cold engine, open the cap to release any pressure / vacuum and then close it again.
Start the engine, let it idle for a minute or so. Shut down.
Open the cap again - any sounds of air escaping? Then that indicates a potential combustion gas leak into the water jacket, pressurizing the system and pushing the water out.

The picture you posted shows what could be coolant on the turbo support bracket - in that location, there are several possibilities, but all relate to an external leak. You said you just had the timing belt done? (FYI, the timing belt was 6 years overdue on age, they have a 100k mile or 6 year lifespan) if the shop replacing the water pump did not seal it properly and replaced more than just the front half of the pump (the only part with moving parts) then they potentially could have caused the leak. There is a LOT of coolant connections on the front passenger side but it is all external to the engine. In general, spring clamps are not reusable and can weaken when disturbed, so it could be as simple as that.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Another really likely leak on that side is the big hose on the bottom of the reservoir. A new good quality hose clamp solves the problem. If the over flow is empty, then with a hot engine, you can touch the bottom side of all coolant connections with your finger and then look for moisture on your finger. I catch really slow ones this way, but sometimes requires a blistered hand. A thin glove would help with the hot parts

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete