It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty CRD not cranking
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Forgot to plug in block heater overnight, but took a chance on starting it in the morning. Turned over, stalled immediately now won't start even after pulling it in heated garage all night. Tried jumping it with fully charged battery no difference. Bad starter? No issues with it until now.

Post subject: Re: Liberty CRD not cranking
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Describe exactly, be specific, what happens when you turn the ignition key to start. For example what do the dash gauges and lights do, does the starter engage, does the engine turn over but not fire, etc.?

What's the age on the battery and what's its rated CCA?

Pump the fuel filter head primer then crack bleeder screw. What if anything comes out?

Where are you and what have the ambient temps been overnight? What's the fuel gauge indicate about the amount of fuel? Have you been using winter fuel? Have you supplemented winter fuel with like Power Service white?

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Get your battery tested first.
If the battery tests good then replace the starter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Keep in mind, if Diesel Fuel gels, it must be heated well above freezing, to get it to reintegrate, where it can circulate again, and that means ALL the fuel. Tank, lines, everything. Not just the filters. Don't know how warm your garage is, but it needs to be really really toasty, all the way to down by the tank. If you have a space heater, (propane or electric) that's a good way to get'r done.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
If your tank has gelled.... I'd put a diesel-fired blast heater aimed into that garage and only leave the door open the minimum needed to get the heat under the Jeep. Don't run the heater in an enclosed garage, carbon monoxide poisoning is deadly.

You need that garage up to like 50-60 tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

Post subject: Re: Liberty CRD not cranking update
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I jumped the starter relay sockets 30 and 87 and the engine started no problem. The only light that stays on is the abs light and the check engine light, but no codes come up on my reader. I bench tested the relay, its working and showing no resistance. I swapped the relay with the wiper relay and still no start. Not sure where to go from here. The battery is about 4 years old, but why would it start when I bypassed the relay? Not sure where to go from here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Ignition switch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:46 pm 
LOST Member

My abs light and brake light would come on after long battles trying to get mine to start. Along with a ding. I assumed it was a hey give up already for now thing. The lights went away after the key was returned to on for a few seconds. Cel is always on for me in the on key position.

My abs light and brake light would come on randomly (before starting issues), it was the sensor on the top of the rear axle going out. Must be really common since doorman makes an after market part I replaced mine with if you keep having problems with that light might try that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:07 am 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
Ignition switch

I turned the ignition to the on position when i jumped the relay. Why would that start it if it were the ignition switch? Can you explain please.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:21 am 
LOST Member

Probably not the ignition switch but the infamous Actuator Pin Assembly that fails.

This is the rectangular pin that connects the key tumblers to the ignition switch itself....the tip starts to break off but has enough strength to turn the ignition ON but does not have the firmness to rotate the spring loaded ignition key those last few degrees to power the solenoid.

This is a well known problem so do a search on Actuator Pin Assembly.....most owners replace it with a Dorman part....Dealers do not stock this part.

Get access to the ignition switch by removing the plastic covers around the steering column....two female Torx screws.
Remove the ignition switch from the column...smaller female Torx screw which on later model KJs is a "security" screw that requires a male Torx bit with a hole drilled down its center.

If you see bits of metal/plastic falling out then the pin has broken.

With the ignition key rotated in its normal slot and in Park or Neutral you can turn over the motor and drive the Jeep by using a small flat screwdriver to turn the ignition switch.

Before you do the above first try start in Neutral instead of Park....jumping pins 30 and 87 in the starter relay bypasses the ignition switch as well as the Neutral and Park safety interlocks so one of these interlocks could be failing. :?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:57 am 
LOST Member

I agree that it is probably the acutuator or the switch that snaps onto the end of the actuator.

The actuator pin assembly failed on my red Liberty a couple months ago. A piece of pot metal broke off the end and jammed it up. I could not remove the key. I could not start it either (it would not turn far enough to engage the start switch).

There are a lot of videos on Youtube on how to replace: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... uator+pin+

I had no problems following the directions on the video. However, the new actuator (Dorman) that I bought from Autozone would not snap onto the switch. I took it back to Autozone and the counter guy could not get it together either. So they gave me another one. Same problem!!! Neither I nor the AZ guy could get it to work. We even tried a brand new switch and it wouldn't snap on either.

I then went to Advance Auto. They had the same Dorman part, but this one snapped right together with no problem. I think I could have ground a little metal off of the one at AZ and made it work, but did not think I should have to modify a brand new part. Moral of the story: take the switch with you to the parts store to make sure you get a good acutator.

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jay ne Ohio wrote:
I agree that it is probably the acutuator or the switch that snaps onto the end of the actuator.

The actuator pin assembly failed on my red Liberty a couple months ago. A piece of pot metal broke off the end and jammed it up. I could not remove the key. I could not start it either (it would not turn far enough to engage the start switch).

There are a lot of videos on Youtube on how to replace: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... uator+pin+

I had no problems following the directions on the video. However, the new actuator (Dorman) that I bought from Autozone would not snap onto the switch. I took it back to Autozone and the counter guy could not get it together either. So they gave me another one. Same problem!!! Neither I nor the AZ guy could get it to work. We even tried a brand new switch and it wouldn't snap on either.

I then went to Advance Auto. They had the same Dorman part, but this one snapped right together with no problem. I think I could have ground a little metal off of the one at AZ and made it work, but did not think I should have to modify a brand new part. Moral of the story: take the switch with you to the parts store to make sure you get a good acutator.
Yes, it was the actuator pin. The metal chunks fell out when i pulled it out from the ignition switch. It started up with a screwdriver. I may try to 3d print a temporary replacement.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:35 pm 
LOST Member

Jay ne Ohio wrote:

Autozone must've gotten a bad batch. From previous experiences with Dorman parts and reading on forums, sounds like typical Dorman quality :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:28 am 
LOST Member

I have seen some complaints about the Dorman replacement...the ignition switch not latching onto the assembly, the rotational fitting of the actuator relative to the ignition switch being to far advanced or retarded or the thin sliver running down the centre of the pin that presses against a separate switch in the ignition switch assembly to warn of "key in ignition" being too long or to short.

So sometimes a bit of modification is needed.

I had a weird problem with my manual Export 2002 CRD when it was just out of warranty.
Being a manual transmission there is a clutch override switch on the clutch pedal that prevents the engine turning over the unless the clutch is depressed.....not in operation if you are in Low 4 wheel drive so that you can start the Jeep in gear while stalled on a sharp incline.

So normal starting procedure would be to switch on ignition, depress clutch pedal to the floor and turn ignition key to "start" to get engine going.

Suddenly I had the case that with ignition "ON" the engine would start by itself the moment I depressed the clutch.
This was with the original factory fitted parts but somehow the ignition switch became too far advanced so that it was in the "start" position already. Strangely the starter did not keep rotating.

I had to elongate the mounting hole on the actuator assembly so that I could retard the position of the ignition switch and it has worked fine ever since.

So far I have not had this failed actuator pin assembly problem I spite of my Jeeps age but I do very few short trips...more long distance....so there are less ignition ON-OFF actions involved that most drivers probably have to do. :wink: