It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Serpentine Belt replacement and or modification: opinion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
Lastly, I've kinda worked up a plan that will allow for deleting the VH while keeping the engine fan bracket and pulley. I just gotta find the right idler pulley that will fit.

These are the PN's for consideration that might be of help (pulleys, bushing) I have on file for removing just the VH.
Just haven't gotten around to performing the actual removal yet; it is on my bucket list to do so! Maybe this spring?
Relay for the VH has been pulled for over 3 years now and it really needs to go!

Plans are to KEEP the mechanical GM 11 blade cooling fan and mount a new idler pulley either in place of the VH or a larger grooved one in place of the current top OEM idler pulley to give enough clearance to run a shorter belt and clear the tensioner pulley.
Just haven't worked out all of the finer details quite yet! :roll:

Gates - Idler Pulley Bushing Part # M17X12B

I would think it would be easier to just remove the vh and swap a bigger grooved pulley in for the current one on that side and run a shorter belt.. But then again i dont have any of the part numbers or anything, that way just seems easier to me. I would be interested in whatever you come up with.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:15 pm 
LOST Addict

I looked into the efan swap. I like the idea of it for control and ease of removal..But even with the fans being a steal, you still have to buy the wiring, relays, and temp controls so really isnt much to gain. I wish i would of seen the gm fan / gm clutch option before i would of went that route. I have an upgraded hayden clutch now but it is for the Chrysler. The plastic fan alone for thats like 80 bucks. You can almost get the fan and clutch for the gm one for that amount. Its all up in the air at the moment since i have the fan off for the winter.[/quote]

In thermorex's thread on e-fan you can find the controller we have both used very successfully. It's about $100 at summit, but is really nice with the hds thermostat as you can run a proper sender unit with the controller. I'm in all this temp control stuff about $1k! But I would have saved hundreds and used a Taurus fan if I hadn't bought an ffd prior to the sellers bad reviews years ago.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:40 pm 
LOST Addict

This is why I mentioned multiple times... "two speed fan motor"

The CRD already has all the relays, fuses, controls, and wiring for a two speed fan.

If you dont like the CRD programming for the electric fan, there is a simple mod that will give you manual control over the fan without effecting any of the automatic controls.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:40 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
This is why I mentioned multiple times. . "two speed fan motor"

The CRD already has all the relays, fuses, controls, and wiring for a two speed fan.

If you dont like the CRD programming for the electric fan, there is a simple mod that will give you manual control over the fan without effecting any of the automatic controls.

Is the factory set-up rated for the higher amperage fans? The FFD runs at about 22amps at full speed, fused at 30 amps.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
This is why I mentioned multiple times. . "two speed fan motor"

Is the factory set-up rated for the higher amperage fans? The FFD runs at about 22amps at full speed, fused at 30 amps.

Last I checked the FFD was a single speed fan.
Im not able to go out and check the fuses in mine right now, but you could probably change the fuse to 30 amp.
Because its a single speed fan you would only be able to use the low fan relay and circuit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:05 am 
LOST Member

Re VH-delete, I just finished researching and confirming which over-sized replacement pulley is required between the PS-ALT in order to "clear" the tensioner's pulley:
Autozone Duralast PN 131082 . (sizes@ "serp. alt. routing" thread)
It is a ribbed-pulley because the serp re-routes OVER it to bridge the PS-ALT (rather than the stock 'under' routing between VH-ALT).

In my current VH/AC-delete setup, so far so good.
200-mile daytrip tomorrow will be first real road-test.
(POST-TRIP: new fan-bearings happy, serp quiet, and with upper-half removed from (chopped) OEM-shroud, temp stayed correct & even @ 65-105mph cruising, combined with 1.5 hour border-idle. 105 was boredom-induced, downhill on a "known-stretch" of a (rare) good MX toll-road; imo NOT an advisable speed in a jeep liberty. 90-95, however...)

Given that my Vegas-summer setup will be solely VH-delete, I'll try to determine the correct belt-length/PN and report back fairly soon.

Would a genius kindly pipe-in regarding what electrical mods/removals/disconnects are advisable/required as various components are "deleted"? Plugs, fuses, relays?
Possibly with genius-esque explanation of necessity?

Thanks!

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

Last edited by Gypsy62 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:25 am 
LOST Member

For the part above the search turns up this info which might help find other places.

Hayden
Manufacturer Part Number: 5976
Other Part Number: IP76, 131082, IP1050, 5030025, 709756, 45976
Material: Plastic
Style: Idler / Tensioner Pulley
Belt Width MM: 28.575
Groove: 6 Groove
Interchange Part Number: 89012, 231082, 49016, 835976, 18113, PI260, 5976
Belt Width IN: 1.125
O.D. MM: 95.250
O.D. IN: 3.750

Flash, I assume you mean Remove the fan in the front and use its wiring and relays to run the efan puller on the rad between the engine? Mine already went out and I replaced that with a slim 16 up front. Used the wiring for that and just spliced the low and high together so if comes on it is high since that fan was only two wires. It has worked fine for that. But it only pulls like 15 amps at most i think.

The tbird fan below says it only pulls 17ish amps on high. But that doesnt match up with the other amps or cfms i have seen others post about that fan. However it seems with some trimming of the shroud it would fit. Not sure if it would be as good as some of the others, or if any of the others are still as good as they once were since you will most likely be getting a remake and they all probably source similar parts and have similar specs.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-620-118-Radiator-Fan-Assembly/dp/B001SGHK1W

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:17 pm 
LOST Member

Well I guess I'll find out about that fan... I ended up catching another like model on Amazon for under 50 shipped with prime. This is the one I bought hopefully it will be a steal since amazon has raised it to 80 again now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q64R372/

I'd be interested to see or hear the differences between this efan and others like the ffd, stock v6 lib one, the taurus one that was pulled and or any others. Maybe even stock mech. The cfm numbers seems to vary greatly depending on where you read or who you ask. There doesn't seem to be a cheap c.f. meter though only ft/min and others which would have to be converted.

Flash on your vh and mech fan delete. You think the pulley below would work? It is a third of the price since its used on a lot of old chevys and only 3mm smaller around.
Gates 38024
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=347158&cc=1302512

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 pm 
LOST Addict

I already have that pulley.
For what I want to do, it won't work quite right.
I'm just gonna have to walk into Napa and search their inventory.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:57 pm 

Flash, this is a very helpful tool if you have part numbers to view different pulley specifications.
Don't know if you are familiar with it or not?

Go to web page:> http://navigates.gates.com/
then click on "Part Number/Interchange" down just above the pictures.
this will give you a lookup page where you can type in any part number and it will pull up all pulleys associated with that number.
It works (interchange) for Gates, AC Delco, Dayco, part numbers etc...
It will give you all specifications for that pulley.
May save you some time and looking?
:D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:30 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
I already have that pulley.
For what I want to do, it won't work quite right.
I'm just gonna have to walk into Napa and search their inventory.

Was the belt too loose with it vs the other or??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm 
LOST Addict

This is my current VH delete setup.
You can see the big GM plastic pulley there.

You can see that the big pulley would contact the fan pulley if it were still there.
Can’t go with a smaller idler pulley because then the belt would contact the tensioner.

If you want keep the fan pulley the VH delete pulley has to be moved.
The most logical position would be where the VH was and therefore requires the fabrication of some sort of pulley bracket.
The bracket isn’t the issue. Finding the right pulley is.

The problem I have with the big GM pulley is that the bolt hole size is too big for my liking. WWdiesel posted a part number for a bolt hole space that might work. Also a Gates 38034 looks like it might work too.

However, I would like to hold the items in my hand and measure them before deciding on a purchase. The local Napa store is pretty easy to work with.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:42 pm 
LOST Member

Are you routing directly from ALT to HBalancer, or still using the IPB(idlerpulleyB) inline?

Also, your substitute upper-pulley appears way larger than the one that I settled-on. For VH/AC delete, my current alternative pulley&belt combination still clears the tensioner-pulley & MF-pulley, albeit not by much. And that's with the MF inline (w/stock hub, pulley and serp).

My ultimate objective is somewhat different than yours. I plan to (eventually) install a high-cfm electric pusher-fan setup. But I'm also planning for the increased cooling capacity provided by a MechFan 'booster' setup for summer-temp heavy-loading (with VH-delete in all scenarios).
Therefore I need to retain a "quick-swap" MF bracket, and prefer to have a second, alternative bracket rather than dealing with pressing on/off the MF hub/pulley as needed.
Further, the design I'm considering will actually protrude significantly less (possibly 2") than the bare-shaft of your pulley-less stock bracket.

I just posted a new thread regarding fabrication of a custom bracket to replace the stock MF bracket. As I discuss there, one possible design would provide for a smaller, lighter pulley in place of the bulky MF hub. In that setup, your large pulley might still clear the bracket's smaller substitute lower-pulley.

As ever, your opinion is highly valued.

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Is there a tensioner that works clockwise rather than CCW? That would open up the ability to use the fan pulley and a smaller idler. The power steering pulley wouldn't get as much purchase, but it doesn't really need it if the tensioner has decent pressure.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Still using the small idler and AC compressor.

I’ve also swapped that plastic pulley out for a steel pulley. It’s only slightly smaller. Nothing else changed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
The most logical position would be where the VH was and therefore requires the fabrication of some sort of pulley bracket.
Out of curiosity, why don't you just leave the viscous heater there? If you disconnect the electrical connector for its clutch (or pull the relay), it can't run and just acts like an idler pulley. Only potential issue I can think of is the bearing going out, but a new one of those could be bought for probably around the same price as an idler pulley.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:24 pm 
LOST Addict

joe_ wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
Out of curiosity, why don't you just leave the viscous heater there? If you disconnect the electrical connector for its clutch (or pull the relay), it can't run and just acts like an idler pulley. Only potential issue I can think of is the bearing going out, but a new one of those could be bought for probably around the same price as an idler pulley.

I did that for 8 years.
Figured it was time to just let it go.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:03 am 
LOST Addict

joe_ wrote:
flash7210 wrote:

I did it for reliably, ease of working on the jeep, ease of seeing problems, rotational mass, and less hose connections to leak. If you look at my avitar you can imagine how quickly I can change/inspect the timing belt. I also completely removed 3 or 4 pulleys/bearings, so there's a lot less to fail.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:00 pm 
LOST Member

Gypsy62 wrote:
Re VH-delete, I just finished researching and confirming which over-sized replacement pulley is required between the PS-ALT in order to "clear" the tensioner's pulley:
Autozone Duralast PN 131082 . (sizes@ "serp. alt. routing" thread)
It is a ribbed-pulley because the serp re-routes OVER it to bridge the PS-ALT (rather than the stock 'under' routing between VH-ALT).

In my current VH/AC-delete setup, so far so good.
200-mile daytrip tomorrow will be first real road-test.
(POST-TRIP: new fan-bearings happy, serp quiet, and with upper-half removed from (chopped) OEM-shroud, temp stayed correct & even @ 65-105mph cruising, combined with 1.5 hour border-idle. 105 was boredom-induced, downhill on a "known-stretch" of a (rare) good MX toll-road; imo NOT an advisable speed in a jeep liberty. 90-95, however...)

Given that my Vegas-summer setup will be solely VH-delete, I'll try to determine the correct belt-length/PN and report back fairly soon.

Would a genius kindly pipe-in regarding what electrical mods/removals/disconnects are advisable/required as various components are "deleted"? Plugs, fuses, relays?
Possibly with genius-esque explanation of necessity?

Thanks!

So that pulley allows the belt to clear both the tensioner and the fan pulley? Is the belt wraped around the fan pulley too? What is the part for the belt? Nevermind I just read you have the a.c. deleted currently. Pic of the setup? Belt clearance of new pulley and fan pulley anyway?

I have a aftermarket pusher / puller fan up front since my stock one let the magic smoke out. Its the one below. There is maybe an inch of play left so you could possibly go an inch bigger than the specs say my fan is deep, but it would be really tight.
https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMFAN-16-12V-Electric-Fan/dp/B0034G2IFC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:54 pm 
LOST Member

Here's my VH/AC delete-setup pic-link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ru4kaeeogfqoa ... 7.jpg?dl=0

Red circles show serp-clearances, HOWEVER, I ultimately settled on a longer serp-belt in order to "relax" the tensioner. That reduced the pictured tensioner-clearance down to about 1/2". I don't see that as a problem, and feel it's a worthy trade-off in exchange for ample tensioner-travel.

I listed all the PN's in my setup in the "serpentine belt lengths" thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next