It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Throttle body clicking/engine stumble
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi guys, looks like I'm having an issue with my throttle body. Parked the liberty for a few minutes this afternoon and when I started it back up it stumbled and died. Noticed that on key-on the throttle body was clicking. Tried cycling the key on several times and would click every time. A couple attempts to start it resulted in the same stumble. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and it fired up fine after that.

Does this sound like a common issue with the throttle body, and if so, what is the fix? Would a dirty throttle body cause this or is there a motor or position sensor that might be the culprit? I couldn't find part numbers for anything but the whole assembly; does the whole unit need to be replaced?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Throttle body clicking/engine stumble
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 pm 
LOST Member

The throttle body runs a self test every key on to make sure it still open and closes, since it's drive by wire; so the sound is not abnormal. The fact a battery reset fixed it points to maybe the fueling adaptives, though it also probably cleared any codes too. You'll usually get codes and the ETC lamp (lightning bolt) will come on if there's a throttle issue.

If it does break, you have to replace the whole unit, but that only takes 4 bolts and 10min.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A dirty TB can cause sticking problems.
Engine off, pull the intake tube off the TB.
Manually open the butterfly valve with your finger.
It will have spring tension on the valve but should open/close smoothly with even resistance the whole way.
If it gets stuck, or you feel a clicking, when manually moving the valve, there is an internal gear problem.
As ajohns1288 said the only solution is to replace the whole thing.

Cleaning; Engine off, manually move the valve and use a rag to wipe the TB and valve off.
Then engine running, spray some cleaner into the TB. Little bit several times.
Now clean the intake; Pull the brake booster vacuum hose off the brake booster side. Induce some cleaner into the brake booster Vac hose.
You will get white smoke out the exhaust when doing this, engine may run rough, and your CEL may come on. A little bit a bunch of times is better then a lot all at once.
Since your now 3/4 done with cleaning, may as well do the whole 9 yards. Get a can of injector cleaner and add it to your next full tank of gas.
Till the injector cleaner in the tank is burnt thru, you may notice slightly less power and just a tad more white smoke out the exhaust then normal.

A dealer will charge $100-200 plus parts to do the "Intake and injector cleaning" service above.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys,

It was clicking six or seven times during the self-test each key-on, so a gear problem sounds likely. Just makes it weird that disconnecting the battery resolved it, and the CEL didn't come on at all during the process. I've had no further problems today either.

I did move the butterfly by hand while troubleshooting last night just to make sure it wasn't stuck closed, but I don't remember if it felt smooth or not. I'll have another look tomorrow and give it a cleaning just in case. Maybe it's a good excuse to throw a 4.7L TB in there lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If it was sticking, it could cause the self test to run several times before it stopped trying.
Cleaning the TB, intake and injectors regularly seems to be needed with these 3.7s.
I do mine every 6 months or so. But I don't drive a lot. For me at 6 months the TB has a lot of carbon dust, and other buildup on it.(Before and after the 4.7 TB swap.)
Part of the issue, I'm sure, is how the engine recycles the blow-by and makeup air gases. I've been meaning to get a couple catch cans to address that issue. Just haven't gotten around to it...

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!