It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Poly bushings for LCA?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:26 am 
LOST Addict

Does anyone have a spare LCA that they could pop the bushing out of and take measurement of? I wanna see if I can find a generic bushing from Energy that might drop in.

If not, are the LCA’s the same for all years of KJ? Could I grab any LCA off a pick-n-pull liberty?

Post subject: Re: Poly bushings for LCA?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:13 am 
LOST Addict

I have some already pressed out, and man they were a pain without the correct tools, not sure if my caliper will measure that large, but you might want to remind me if I don't get back with the results within a week

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Great, thanks. Things are a bit loose up front so I am hoping I could just drop the LCA's and swap in poly bushings and get everything tightened up again. Of course I will share my findings with everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:39 pm 

mass-hole wrote:
Great, thanks. Things are a bit loose up front so I am hoping I could just drop the LCA's and swap in poly bushings and get everything tightened up again. Of course I will share my findings with everyone.

A PN would be real nice to have on file for future reference!!!! :mrgreen:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:01 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:

Sure thing, I replaced all of mine at 165k and it handles much better, but now I have the rear sway again because the rear triangle is toast after 35k. Iron rock should solve that long term!
I'm in the midst of a move, so the bushings are at my old place, hence the delay

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:36 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

A PN would be real nice to have on file for future reference!!!! :mrgreen:

I did just order a set of energy suspension sway bar bushings. Part number is 9.5172R. It looks like they should fit based on the bar OD and bolt spacing on the OE brackets. Ill let everyone know of that as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

Sure thing, I replaced all of mine at 165k and it handles much better, but now I have the rear sway again because the rear triangle is toast after 35k. Iron rock should solve that long term!
I'm in the midst of a move, so the bushings are at my old place, hence the delay

Can you measure the LCA's themselves? It looks like with the universal Energy bushings you order a set of flanged bushings and then you need to provide a DOM tube with the proper OD/length for the LCA and ID to set the preload for the poly bushings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:30 pm 
LOST Addict

I've got one set from a parted jeep, but it has good bushings in it and I about killed myself when I pressed out the bushings on mine with the funky angles. I made all sorts of jigs to get it done but it took massive force to press those things out. I'm guessing nearly the full force of my 20 ton press.

You probably need accurate internal dimensions right?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
I've got one set from a parted jeep, but it has good bushings in it and I about killed myself when I pressed out the bushings on mine with the funky angles. I made all sorts of jigs to get it done but it took massive force to press those things out. I'm guessing nearly the full force of my 20 ton press.

You probably need accurate internal dimensions right?

That’s what I was thinking based on how the energy bushings work but don’t kill yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Dang, I bet the bushings I pressed out are within a couple of thousands. Yeah, if I ever feel the need to replace them again I'll buy new lca's with the bushings already installed. Unless I can find a kit of the right press jigs for cheap. It's some crazy angles without special tools

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 am 
LOST Newbie

The lower control arm bushings have the following dimensions.
Bolt sleeve length - 80mm / 3.15"
Bolt sleeve ID - 16.25mm / 0.64"
Bushing OD - 61.5mm / 2.421"
Control Arm mount width (outer tube) - 45.5mm / 1.795"
Control Arm mount diameter (outer tube) - 77.75mm / 3.06"

This would require a urethane bushing with a very large flange width and have never seen a urethane bushing close to these dimensions.

2007 WK CRD Limited - GTB2260VKLR Turbo, custom everything else
2005 KJ CRD Limited - GDE ECO Tune, Fox shocks front & rear, 255/80R17 Cooper S/T Maxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:48 pm 
LOST Addict

CB Eng wrote:
The lower control arm bushings have the following dimensions.
Bolt sleeve length - 80mm / 3.15"
Bolt sleeve ID - 16.25mm / 0.64"
Bushing OD - 61.5mm / 2.421"
Control Arm mount width (outer tube) - 45.5mm / 1.795"
Control Arm mount diameter (outer tube) - 77.75mm / 3.06"

This would require a urethane bushing with a very large flange width and have never seen a urethane bushing close to these dimensions.

No, I have not heard of anything like that either. That is huge.

More importantly, you have a 2260VKLR in your WK. That is awesome. How does it spool compared to the stock 2056? I see there are some vendors overseas that retrofit 2260VK housings onto these so it would be a bit more plug and play with a liberty CRD but that is a lot of turbo for this motor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:26 pm 
LOST Member

What are your thoughts on bushings made from UHMW or Delrin as compared to Rubber or Poly?
I realize that this thread is about the front and rear bushings, however, I am finding that on my vehicle the bushing on the LCA which supports the lower strut connection to the arm is getting beat up even faster than the other two.
If I were to make these out of the above mentioned material, is there a reason why the harder material would be inappropriate? (other than a little more NVH).
Sure would help with longevity and keeping the alignment in spec around corners.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DocB wrote:
What are your thoughts on bushings made from UHMW or Delrin as compared to Rubber or Poly?
I realize that this thread is about the front and rear bushings, however, I am finding that on my vehicle the bushing on the LCA which supports the lower strut connection to the arm is getting beat up even faster than the other two.
If I were to make these out of the above mentioned material, is there a reason why the harder material would be inappropriate? (other than a little more NVH).
Sure would help with longevity and keeping the alignment in spec around corners.

You will want one side to have a rubber/poly bushing if you plan on street driving it,your kidneys will thank you.

I've driven vehicles with hard bushings on both ends and the ride and noises are horrendous,swap one end for a actual rubber/poly bushing and most of that harshness goes away.