It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EGR Cooler - Where Does It Get Coolant From?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:15 am 
LOST Member

EGR Cooler, as I understand it, discharges to a metal tube that runs over the top front of the engine from drivers side to passengers side, into a Y, and down into the coolant elbow into the water pump.
Is this correct?

And, where does it get its coolant FROM ? Directly from the head?

And, when the engine is off, is the EGR coolant circuit a flow through system? (no closures?)

GDE tune installed if that makes a difference. TIA.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

Post subject: Re: EGR Cooler - Where Does It Get Coolant From?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:36 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The supply is from the port in the middle of the head directly between cylinders 2 and 3. As far as the EGR cooler, it has no closures or valves of any kind.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:17 pm 
LOST Member

Thank you for the info.
This directly impacts how I install the Webasto, which will now be different than the European directions.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

There's a post that explains coolant flow and details EGR part, courtesy of WWDiesel:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=87021

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:34 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
It may also be relevant to note that the coolant hose coming from the head is IIRC about 5/8".
When I removed mine, I discovered that regardless of the hose size, the passage through the nipple was only about 1/8".
I assumed that this is to prevent too much flow, which would reduce proper coolant flow to the exhaust side of the head.

If you are using this nipple in plumbing in your Webasto, I recommend keeping that in place, and being aware of the flow restriction at that point.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:22 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
That nipple seems like a great location for plumbing the Webasto's supply, and perhaps it is because the Webasto pump is fairly small anyway - But I would bypass the EGR cooler entirely and just retain the nipple on the head (supply to the Webasto) and the Y-pipe as the return from the Webasto.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 am 
LOST Member

Gordnadao, so if you are saying that the supply to the EGR cooler is only actually 1/8" (through the restrictor nipple), then the flow through the metal pipe over the top front of the engine as the outlet from the EGR is actually only 1/8".
Thanks for that info, too bad, as I was going to use this as the supply to the Webasto.

Geordi, the hose size on the inlet and outlet of the Webasto is 3/4". I don't mind having to eventually reduce it down to 5/8" to connect to the engine cooling system, but I think the flow being necked down to 1/8" by the nipple is just too much of a restriction.

Further thoughts anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:47 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I have no experience with Webasto, so I have no idea whether or how it would work. I just thought it could be an important detail to consider.

Edit: IIRC the piece that goes up and over the front of the engine is just normal steel tubing, not necked or reduced at all. Same with the Y piece above the thermostat.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I understand the concern but before thinking that 1/8" is too restrictive, it may or may not be, ask yourself what the Webasto pump rate is; what that translates to as PSI in the coolant system (hint - it's less than the psi rating of the coolant tank cap); and how that plays out for flow rate at various effective nipple diameters. The size of the Webasto inlets and outlets is not the only relevant factor. If in fact 1/8" is too small then it's easy enough to enlarge (drill or new nipple) to increase the inside diameter of that nipple to 1/4" or perhaps as much as 3/8". Seems to me the location is a good one for straight shot coolant flow to a Webasto over by the battery and back to that metal pipe.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 am 
LOST Addict

First:
The ID of that nipple is bigger than 1/8. More like 1/4.

Second:
That part of the engine is difficult to get to. The thermostat housing is much easier and all the hoses are in plain sight.
Plumb your Webasto between the viscous heater outlet and the cabin heater inlet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OP has a GDE tune so elimination of the EGR cooler is ok with the benefit of deleting some coolant leak places so why not use that nipple if flow is adequate and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
If in fact 1/8" is too small then it's easy enough to enlarge (drill or new nipple) to increase the inside diameter of that nipple to 1/4" or perhaps as much as 3/8".
I don't think I would drill it since if i remember correctly, the inside of the nipple is hex-shaped and the only way to install/remove it is by putting an allen wrench in there. But they might be able to install a similarly-sized one with a hex on the outside and a bigger inner diameter (if such a thing exists).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:42 pm 
LOST Addict

You are correct, it is an 8mm hex. Some nipples actually have an external hex, 19mm. I think this port is more than sufficient for the flow of the Webasto pump, the pump itself is only the size of a baseball and won't have that much actual volume that it can create. All you need is decent circulation, that port should be more than adequate. You aren't trying to create pressure.