It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Guess the failure - Episode 2 update Feb 26
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:32 pm 
LOST Member

Hmmm, that ebay CRD in the last post has a couple of warning flags. Biggest is he says top connector broke off one of the GPs, but the mechanic changed the other 3??? So why didn't the wrench change the last one??? I suspect it was more than just the connector that broke off that last GP, it was the whole top came off when he tried to change it; and if so it will nee the head pulled and that stuck GP removed. Much less of a good deal if that is the case...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:50 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Lets see, Turbo seized, and engine cannot be turned over by hand with a wrench; this is not looking good. :grim:
Is there any oil still in the engine? Does the dipstick show anything? I don't believe you stated?
Have you tried draining the oil out of the engine and if so how much came out?
:

Shop ape/son actually said engine would turn, but he started feeling resistance and he didn't want to do further damage so he stopped. ( I wasn't there when he did some of initial diagnoses.) He says the coolant looked very yellow, but no oil in it...I'll drain the oil tonight hopefully.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
flash7210 wrote:
Quote:
ALSO, the turbo appears to be seized...

That answers a lot.
The turbo likely seized do to lack of oil.
I suspect the crank/rod bearings did the same.

Look in the turbo compressor inlet.
Check that the shaft is precisely centered.
I also had a turbo failure, where the rotating assembly was seized.
There were 4 screws attaching the turbine housing (exhaust side) to the center housing, and they were completely through the center housing. One of them backed out till the screw head contacted the back side of the compressor wheel, and continued backing out until it had gouged deep enough to shove the compressor wheel to one side, and created enough friction force that it bound the rotating assembly. This also caused most of the oil delivered to the center section to pump past the seal into the intake.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:34 pm 
LOST Member

Steve777 wrote:
Hmmm, that ebay CRD in the last post has a couple of warning flags. Biggest is he says top connector broke off one of the GPs, but the mechanic changed the other 3??? So why didn't the wrench change the last one??? I suspect it was more than just the connector that broke off that last GP, it was the whole top came off when he tried to change it; and if so it will nee the head pulled and that stuck GP removed. Much less of a good deal if that is the case...

LOL, I didn't say it was a 'good' deal... just the fact that it 'runs', It probably has some life yet in the TB,(according to work receipts) And in sunny warm Cali, probably fire right up on 3 gp's... All for $5500.. Somebody WILL bite!

Op could drop in an unknown take out, for 2500-3500.. and pray THOSE GP'S all work, turbo isn't shot, and wonder if he should throw another 400+ bucks into it for a TB... just so it don't grenade during a potential customer test drive!! That'd be the $hits.
Clean up the vehicle, and offer it for what? 6-7000?
What did the OP pay for this project?

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:38 pm 
LOST Member

rancherman wrote:
Steve777 wrote:

LOL, I didn't say it was a 'good' deal... just the fact that it 'runs', It probably has some life yet in the TB,(according to work receipts) And in sunny warm Cali, probably fire right up on 3 gp's... All for $5500.. Somebody WILL bite!

Op could drop in an unknown take out, for 2500-3500.. and pray THOSE GP'S all work, turbo isn't shot, and wonder if he should throw another 400+ bucks into it for a TB... just so it don't grenade during a potential customer test drive!! That'd be the $hits.
Clean up the vehicle, and offer it for what? 6-7000?
What did the OP pay for this project?

Maybe the best way to 'flip' this vehicle.. is to dismantle it, and sell it piece by piece.

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:47 pm 
LOST Member

CGman wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
Lets see, Turbo seized, and engine cannot be turned over by hand with a wrench; this is not looking good. :grim:
Is there any oil still in the engine? Does the dipstick show anything? I don't believe you stated?
Have you tried draining the oil out of the engine and if so how much came out?
:

Shop ape/son actually said engine would turn, but he started feeling resistance and he didn't want to do further damage so he stopped. ( I wasn't there when he did some of initial diagnoses.) He says the coolant looked very yellow, but no oil in it...I'll drain the oil tonight hopefully.

Just finished draining the oil...first thing out was about 32 oz of coolant...the thing has been sitting for a long time so it had plenty of time to stratify. :banghead:

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:52 pm 

CGman wrote:
Just finished draining the oil...first thing out was about 32 oz of coolant...the thing has been sitting for a long time so it had plenty of time to stratify. :banghead:

Oh boy! That is not good. :shock: :roll:
Possibilities:
    blown head gasket
    cracked head
    cracked cylinder liner
    failed oil cooler

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp