It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hooked battery up backwards!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, I made a really dumb mistake- installed my battery backwards, put the + cable on the - post, then touched the - cable to the + post. Loud pop & flash!
Reinstalled battery & cables correctly and started. Flashing red "TCV" light on left side of dash and engine would only rev to @ 1100 RPM. Drove around neighborhood fine, but slow.
Figured I had fried the ECU, so sent the ECU for repair. They said it was worried it had to be replaced. They flashed a used one with my old info and sent it to me. Installed the replacement- Jeep starts, blinking red "TCV" light as before, runs for @ 10 sec in limp mode, then dies. I can repeat this 3 or 4 times until I get no start, total silence, red lightstill blinking. Checked OBD, found @ 10 codes. Tried to clear them, but they won't clear. Most of them are about sensors, temp, etc....also turbo solenoid. AAAAAAHHHHH. Help please! Did I fry every sensor along with an ECU?!!?? It cost me @ $700 for the ECU replacement!

Post subject: Re: Hooked battery up backwards!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:48 am 
LOST Member

I am unaware of what the "TCV" light is...not shown in the 2005 KJ Service Manual... but there is a red LED on the left side of the cluster between the fuel gauge and speedo which is for the SKIS anti-theft system.

Normally this LED lights up for a few seconds after ignition is turned ON then if the ECU is happy with the code received from the chipped key the LED will go out.

If the lamp flashes continuously it means that the ECU was not happy with the chip code sent to it by the SKIM sensor on top of the steering column with a wire surrounding the key entrance. Motor will start and run for about 10 seconds then cut out.

If the LED stays ON all the time without flashing then the ECU was happy with the chipped code it received but did not receive confirmation from the ASD relay that it...the ASD relay...had energized. Motor will turn over but not fire. I had this problem due to a broken wire going to the ASD relay preventing it from energizing.
I could get the engine to run by removing the ASD relay and jumping pins 30 and 87 together inside the empty relay socket until I could track down the broken wire. This will not work if you have flashing red LED so thieves cannot hotwire the Jeep this way if the correct SKIS code is not received.

Have you checked all the fuses...under the hood and inside the cabin?

A battery fitted with wrong polarity often blows diodes inside the alternator and could blow the "fusable link" which is the thick cable going from the alternator to the battery but then you would get the battery icon showing that no charging is happening.

When the new ECU was programmed the correct SKIS code should have been entered.

If the SKIM module on top of the steering column blows then it has to be replaced with a new virgin module from the Dealers and the Dealers have to re-program it to match the chipped keys code....an old SKIM module from a Breaker Yard cannot be re-programmed. :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:06 am 
LOST Newbie

The red light I'm referring to looks like: )!( with ! being a lightning bolt. The owners manual calls it the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Warning Light.
Fuses in both locations checked- all good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:24 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Billybob wrote:
If the SKIM module on top of the steering column blows then it has to be replaced with a new virgin module from the Dealers and the Dealers have to re-program it to match the chipped keys code....an old SKIM module from a Breaker Yard cannot be re-programmed. :?

Mostly right.
The dealer (or whomever), will have to reprogram the new SKIM module with new keys cut to fit the existing (or new) lock.
Once CDJ keys are programmed, the key's ability to dialogue program self destructs, and they are no longer able to be programmed to any other SKIM, new or not. All the transponder is capable of from that point is answering the SKIM query "who are you?", with their own unique ID code.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:31 am 
LOST Member

Thanks, I was not aware of that.....helps to make things harder for potential thieves! :x

I know that if someone hopes to get these parts from a Breaker yard they would need to get the chipped keys, ECU and SKIM module from the same scrapped vehicle and use these all together.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:33 am 
LOST Member

CRDBilly wrote:
The red light I'm referring to looks like: )!( with ! being a lightning bolt. The owners manual calls it the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Warning Light.
Fuses in both locations checked- all good.

Yeah maybe you will have to replace the Throttle Control board. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:37 am 

From FSM on ETC:
Quote:
29. Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Warning Light —
This light informs you of a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control system. If a problem is detected the light will come on while the engine is running. Cycle the ignition key when the vehicle has completely stopped and the gear selector is placed in the P (Park) position. The light should turn off. If the light remains lit with the engine running your vehicle will usually be drivable, however, see your dealer for service as soon as possible. If the light is flashing when the engine is running, immediate service is required and you may experience reduced performance, an elevated/rough idle or engine stall and your vehicle may require towing.

The light will come on when the ignition is first turned on and remain on briefly as a bulb check. If the light does not come on during starting, have the system checked by an authorized dealer.

PEDAL. Accelerator.
Part Number: 53013703AB
fits 2005 Jeep Liberty
Includes APP Sensor. (Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor)

Accelerator Pedal (Liberty CRD)
IDParts has them:> https://www.idparts.com/accelerator-ped ... -3926.html

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Billybob wrote:
Thanks, I was not aware of that.....helps to make things harder for potential thieves! :x I guess I'm more cynical. I figured it was so they could sell more $100+ keys and programming service charges before they became available aftermarket.

I know that if someone hopes to get these parts from a Breaker yard they would need to get the chipped keys, ECU and SKIM module from the same scrapped vehicle and use these all together. All true, and if any one of those has any sort of data bug, the whole package is useless. If you go this route, you also have the inconvenience of having to replace the lock/tumber bit with it, OR assemble a new lock unit to fit the keys that came with the salvage yard set. AFTER which, you will have a working vehicle that uses different keys for the ignition than the rest of the rig. ...So, usually cheaper and faster to just get a new SKIM.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If a go pedal assembly with sensors is needed I have a good used one at least I think I do (cannot immediately check its storage location). Just email me; not a PM as I may not notice a PM.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs