It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel Filler Neck Restrictor Removal ?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:38 pm 
LOST Member

How do you remove the grey plastic fuel filler neck restrictor from the fill tube?

The plan is/was to remove the plastic restrictor, open up the inlet hole size so I can fill up with a normal size nozzle or can spout, and reinsert it into the tube.
The whole filler tube is out and laying on the workbench, but noway can I remove the restrictor. Was hoping to do the cutting/grinding with it out so debris doesn't go down the tube and make for a difficult cleanup inside.

How did you get it out?

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

Post subject: Re: Fuel Filler Neck Restrictor Removal ?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:11 pm 

DocB wrote:
How do you remove the grey plastic fuel filler neck restrictor from the fill tube?

The plan is/was to remove the plastic restrictor, open up the inlet hole size so I can fill up with a normal size nozzle or can spout, and reinsert it into the tube.
The whole filler tube is out and laying on the workbench, but noway can I remove the restrictor. Was hoping to do the cutting/grinding with it out so debris doesn't go down the tube and make for a difficult cleanup inside.

How did you get it out?

There's a much easier way to accomplish the same thing:

https://www.amazon.com/TDI-Diesel-Fuel- ... B00696Y74O

Granted, it will still reduce the diameter of the filler down to the one used at the pump, but it'll at least save you from getting shards of plastic in the tank.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:16 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the reply. Job already done. Opened it up to the full 2". Sometimes I have to fill up at the big boy pump and the restrictor just makes it a pain in the neck, unsafe, environmentally unfriendly, and time consuming. The same as above goes for filling from a fuel jug, maybe more so.
Been wanting to do this for a while now. Only mistake I made was not doing this when the tank was out for the pump install. Would have been easier.

BTW-I did blow out the shavings with high pressure air and then twice, shook up and then rinsed out the tube with diesel. Spic and span.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:58 pm 

DocB wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Job already done. Opened it up to the full 2". Sometimes I have to fill up at the big boy pump and the restrictor just makes it a pain in the neck, unsafe, environmentally unfriendly, and time consuming. The same as above goes for filling from a fuel jug, maybe more so.
Been wanting to do this for a while now. Only mistake I made was not doing this when the tank was out for the pump install. Would have been easier.

BTW-I did blow out the shavings with high pressure air and then twice, shook up and then rinsed out the tube with diesel. Spic and span.

Nice - glad you got it sorted out.

I ran across this same problem about a month ago: on an out-of-state business trip, I pulled into a gas station (just a normal gas station, not one at a truck stop), went to fill up, and... Large-diameter nozzles. The adapter saved my bacon that day, because I was running on fumes at that point.

For a permanent mod, though, I'm keeping this in mind. I'll eventually be doing an in-tank pump, so might as well add this to the list of improvements.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:48 pm 
LOST Member

You can find some nice plastic cutting burs at Harbor Freight that worked great on a die grinder. They are black and have pointy tits sticking up.