It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Which thermostat for my '05 CRD?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:34 pm 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:

Don't go cheap unless you plan on flipping the vehicle within a year or 2. If it's a secondary vehicle or recreational use only, I might lean towards OEM. (chinese junk only if you're dumping the vehicle immediately, IMO).

If you plan on keeping and using it, the HDS housing makes sense to me. The way I figure, the cost comparison breaks even at the third OEM 'stat, and for me that's about 4ish years. After that it's money saved.
THAT is only figuring cost vs mileage. There are likely other small intangible values, such as mileage gains, and engine longevity from proper operating temperature control, but that wasn't figured in.

That's where I'm a little torn ... I'm not entirely sure how much I'll be using it in coming years. I am not selling it, so cheap part was never a consideration. I plan to keep driving, but how much, I don't know. I ordered a Chevy Cruze that I intend to use as a worry-free commuter, but assuming I can get and keep the Jeep in good order, I plan to keep it in the rotation regularly, especially in winter months or anytime I need cargo space. Sometime this year I also hope to finish my 87 Mercedes which I will drive pretty frequently. So, the Jeep isn't going to be the workhorse it is now as far as miles, but it will get more use than a purely recreational vehicle.

That said the mileage gain, possible improvement of engine life, and avoiding an annoying repair down the road are all appealing to me. I've just had a lot of unexpected costs lately so spending a lot more stings.

2018 Chevy Cruze 1.6L turbodiesel, 6-speed manual, Satin Steel Metallic on Kalahari/Jet Black - 150 miles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 pm 

BodhiBenz1987 wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
That said the mileage gain, possible improvement of engine life, and avoiding an annoying repair down the road are all appealing to me. I've just had a lot of unexpected costs lately so spending a lot more stings.

I hear you on the unexpected costs; this year, so far, has been a pile of them for us, including the Jeep.

However, the way I'm looking at it is that we'll probably own this vehicle for another three years, possibly as many as five. I'm basically getting as many of the major issues out of the way as I can up front, and amortising those expenses out over the longer term of ownership.

Granted, spending the money either way isn't fun, and your circumstances may not match ours. But it is something to consider.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:34 pm 
LOST Member

BodhiBenz1987 wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

Don't go cheap unless you plan on flipping the vehicle within a year or 2. If it's a secondary vehicle or recreational use only, I might lean towards OEM. (chinese junk only if you're dumping the vehicle immediately, IMO).

If you plan on keeping and using it, the HDS housing makes sense to me. The way I figure, the cost comparison breaks even at the third OEM 'stat, and for me that's about 4ish years. After that it's money saved.
THAT is only figuring cost vs mileage. There are likely other small intangible values, such as mileage gains, and engine longevity from proper operating temperature control, but that wasn't figured in.

That's where I'm a little torn ... I'm not entirely sure how much I'll be using it in coming years. I am not selling it, so cheap part was never a consideration. I plan to keep driving, but how much, I don't know. I ordered a Chevy Cruze that I intend to use as a worry-free commuter, but assuming I can get and keep the Jeep in good order, I plan to keep it in the rotation regularly, especially in winter months or anytime I need cargo space. Sometime this year I also hope to finish my 87 Mercedes which I will drive pretty frequently. So, the Jeep isn't going to be the workhorse it is now as far as miles, but it will get more use than a purely recreational vehicle.

If you plan on using the CRD less in the future I would go with a new OEM. It will last you 50K miles and with your reduced usage that should be 5 yrs if your car is 13 Yrs old and you only have 135K on it right now. I understand the ease of changing the t-stat replacement in the future but that is once the HDS housing is put into the CRD. Remember that in either case you need to install a t-stat housing into the vehicle from scratch. It will take you 2 - 3hrs, OEM or HDS. The 10 - 20 minute replacement only comes into place once the HDS is installed. So for your reduced usage is $110 OEM vs $500 HDS worth the 2-3hr labor every 4 - 6 yrs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:52 pm 
LOST Addict

"If you plan on using the CRD less in the future I would go with a new OEM. It will last you 50K miles and with your reduced usage that should be 5 yrs if your car is 13 Yrs old and you only have 135K on it right now. I understand the ease of changing the t-stat replacement in the future but that is once the HDS housing is put into the CRD. Remember that in either case you need to install a t-stat housing into the vehicle from scratch. It will take you 2 - 3hrs, OEM or HDS. The 10 - 20 minute replacement only comes into place once the HDS is installed. So for your reduced usage is $110 OEM vs $500 HDS worth the 2-3hr labor every 4 - 6 yrs."

*This part of this post has been removed as it is considered spam by the site administrator.*

*This part of this post has been removed as it is considered spam by the site administrator.*, and other backyard attempts to modify the O.E. housing, were created because it is well known that the O.E. thermostat valve is set to comply with EPA emissions standards, which is way too low for maximum efficiency and reliability of the engine. EVEN A BRAND NEW O.E. thermostat will not let your CRD engine run at a proper operating temperature in cold weather.

1) The cool running CRD engine does not get an opportunity to burn off pollutants accumulating in the engine. This is THE major contributor to the CRD engine building up crap in the cylinder head and it must be addressed for maximum longevity of the engine.

2) Diesel engines combust fuel through the heat generated by compressing air at very high compression ratios. Clean air enters the cylinders, is compressed generating high temperatures, and then the diesel fuel is injected at very high pressures to mist, (atomize), the fuel enough for instant combustion when mixed with the air. In addition, the diesel fuel is pre-heated to aid atomization and combustion. All of this is aided and abetted by running the engine hot... heat generated by high compression is most certainly increased in a hot engine verses a cool engine, thus increasing atomization and combustion efficiency. This is why diesel engines run poorly when they are cold, and why commercial diesel owners run their engines for a short time to warm them up before putting any load on them.

ALL CRD owners report a better running engine when the engine is running at higher operating temperatures. A smoother engine - less "frumpy" as one owner calls it, more power and better fuel economy can be had by SAFELY elevating the CRD engine's operating temperatures. One of the main reasons why CRD owners outside of North America do not experience nearly the problems we have here is that the O.E. thermostat assembly in their engine opens up at about 195 degrees Fahrenheit vs. the pitiful 176 degrees Fahrenheit in North American CRDs. They have pollution standards to abide by as well, so even 195 degrees is not ideal, but at least they are not saddled with standards that dictate 176 degrees.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:58 am 
LOST Member

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
"If you plan on using the CRD less in the future I would go with a new OEM. It will last you 50K miles and with your reduced usage that should be 5 yrs if your car is 13 Yrs old and you only have 135K on it right now. I understand the ease of changing the t-stat replacement in the future but that is once the HDS housing is put into the CRD. Remember that in either case you need to install a t-stat housing into the vehicle from scratch. It will take you 2 - 3hrs, OEM or HDS. The 10 - 20 minute replacement only comes into place once the HDS is installed. So for your reduced usage is $110 OEM vs $500 HDS worth the 2-3hr labor every 4 - 6 yrs."

*This part of the quote has been removed, as it was determined to be spam by the site administrator.*

Blah Blah Blah. This has all been discussed before. I understand it. Must you keep repeating yourself.

I was strictly pointing out a labor vs cost review based on his amount of vehicle usage. Pure economics, nothing else. I was not discussing any other advantages or disadvantages.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:06 pm 
LOST Addict

joelukex4 wrote:
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:

*This part of the quote has been removed, as it was determined to be spam by the site administrator.*

Blah Blah Blah. This has all been discussed before. I understand it. Must you keep repeating yourself.

I was strictly pointing out a labor vs cost review based on his amount of vehicle usage. Pure economics, nothing else. I was not discussing any other advantages or disadvantages.

You repeat yourself as well. And, as usual, you leave out pertinent information that can have a HUGE economic impact on a CRD owner. You know... like poor fuel economy, clogged out engines that have to be repaired... little things like that.

Funny how my only critics are people like you who do not have my product.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:28 am 
LOST Member

You must have a persecution complex. Read my context again. I did not write good or bad about either product nor bring up which one I own. I strictly brought up a cost/labor based analysis with the thermostat replacement. The owner can make his decision based on the upgraded performance of the HDS vs OEM and the cost/labor/time involved in replacement of each.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:51 pm 
LOST Addict

joelukex4 wrote:
You must have a persecution complex. Read my context again. I did not write good or bad about either product nor bring up which one I own. I strictly brought up a cost/labor based analysis with the thermostat replacement. The owner can make his decision based on the upgraded performance of the HDS vs OEM and the cost/labor/time involved in replacement of each.

joelukex4:

Firstly, don't play games; you are not a customer of mine. You and I have crossed swords before, any new members need to know that you are being totally biased here. Being an armchair psychologist is always the argument of last resort for people who are wrong.

Secondly, any upgrade should not simply be judged on a cost comparison basis; there should be a cost/benefit analysis as well. What was done to North American Liberty CRD O.E. engine thermostat assemblies to meet EPA pollution regulations is every bit as bad as the EGR system itself, and it has to be addressed for long term reliability of the CRD engine. End of story.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:22 am 
LOST Member

x11, or did I lose count. I'd buy another if I ever bought another CRD. Even when my block heater was toast, my heat was blowing warm after one mile when I could get it started.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.