It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel filter change - Diesel Purge filter prime?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:20 pm 

Have a fuel filter en route; it'll hopefully get here some time next week. Given my recent adventures in limp mode, I'm of the opinion that running some Diesel Purge through the upper fuel system probably isn't a bad idea.

Here's what I'm thinking: remove the old filter, do not reuse the fuel in that filter. Prime the new filter with Diesel Purge. Install the new filter, manually bleed and prime, start the engine, and let things clean themselves out. The fuel filter looks as though it can hold at least 500ml, so an entire can of Diesel Purge should be able to make it in there with room for some tank diesel on top of that.

Any reason why I shouldn't do this? I realise that the preferred method is to circulate the fuel feed and return lines through a separate container filled with Diesel Purge, but this seems to be more or less functionally-equivalent and without detaching the fuel lines.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

Post subject: Re: Fuel filter change - Diesel Purge filter prime?
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:37 pm 
LOST Member

So, how did it work out for you? I know a number of people who prime their filters with Seafoam. Similar idea.

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:06 pm 

Never got a response, so erred on the side of caution and just used plain diesel.

I've heard of using Seafoam as well, but was slightly concerned about how well it would compress. Decided to not risk it.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:19 am 
LOST Member

I'm not sure there's much point in trying it. I have done it numerous times in the past, and I am currently dealing with a faulty injector issue. I regularly use Lucas fuel additive and for awhile used Marvel Mystery Oil to clean the system out. I quit using MMO because I feel it was too strong and stripped too much out of the system, seemingly to no end. Within about 2 weeks of using it the first fuel filter was clogged with a brown sediment gunk. I used it again recently for a few weeks and again had to change the filter afterward. It, and products like it (PowerService), just strips too much IMO. Using PowerService directly in the filter has never accomplished anything for me, either. I still have a faulty injector after multiple shots of PS in the filter, which doesn't surprise me. With our injectors running at upwards of 25kpsi, anything that a solvent would dissolve would be just as quickly pulverized and injected the same way, just mechanically instead of chemically. It shouldn't hurt, but I don't think it will help anything either.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There is no particular benefit to using full strength Power Service or similar in the fuel filter with one exception. The exception is if you experience fueling with gasoline instead of diesel in which case it's worth doing as part of the recovery process. That said occasional addition of Power Service or some such to the tank in appropriate amounts is probably beneficial.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs